PDA

View Full Version : primers and 22LR prices

nighthunter
12-20-2013, 10:05 PM
Stopped in a local gunshop a couple days ago. I bought 5000 Federal Gold Small Pistol primers for $150. Beast price I have found for a long time. They had lots of different primers in stock at mostly decent prices. They also had their shelves filling up with 22LR. $25 per 500 rounds is still a little more than I'm willing to pay for low end 22's. At least things are looking better than they have been for awhile. I think supply is catching up with demand and prices will drop more in the next few months.

Nighthunter

Epd230
12-20-2013, 11:17 PM
I hope you are right. I am waiting for the price to drop back to normal, so I can hoard a few hundred thousand for myself!

bangerjim
12-20-2013, 11:19 PM
Well now that you told everybody where they are........they're gone! HA.....ha.

Glad you can find what you need at sort-of reasonable prices.

This will/may only improve AFTER November 2016!

banger

robpete
12-20-2013, 11:30 PM
Primer prices are pretty close to normal here. Selection has been spotty, but I shoot whatever goes bang. 22lr is still flying off shelves. I personally have not seen a brick of bargain 22lr, in a store, for over a year now.

Garyshome
12-20-2013, 11:38 PM
$35/k where I live.

uscra112
12-21-2013, 12:28 AM
Now I wish that powder would come back. I've been out of Varget for 8-9 months now. Substitutes just ain't cuttin' it.

Jayhawkhuntclub
12-23-2013, 02:53 PM
Now I wish that powder would come back. I've been out of Varget for 8-9 months now. Substitutes just ain't cuttin' it.

Exactly! Primers are plentiful. 22lrs I don't need. But I just opened my last pound of Unique.[smilie=b: Powder and 22s are like hens teeth right now.

w5pv
12-23-2013, 05:12 PM
I have a couple hundred .22 rounds and refuse to pay the prices they are asking.I have a friend that bought several bricks at the elevated price.

iron mule
12-23-2013, 05:22 PM
i quit selling 22 rf out of the shop/// saved all i had for the 4-H shooters so they could have some ammo to practice and compete with//down to about 25,000 but that should help them thru this season coming up
mule

Harter66
12-23-2013, 05:30 PM
I just picked up 2k CCI spp $30/k .Small Pistol is all that's on the shelves in Reno, the case had 200k SPP and 5k assorted 209s at Scheels ,Cabelas is just depressing.1st you can't buy an SPP now that's all you can get.....

cbrick
12-23-2013, 06:40 PM
Powder Valley has had an improved selection of primers over the past few weeks. I wouldn't call it a good selection but it is improved. There is of course the shipping & hazmat charges. Powder still doesn't look any better there but for what they do have/get their shipping has improved from several weeks to 3 days.

Rick

fredj338
12-24-2013, 02:31 PM
IMO, prices won't come down much. I think $30/k for US made primers is about it. The govt can't print $85B a month & not increase prices. Right now, I would be a buyer at $30/K, they won't be much cheaper. We have a world oil glut, you don't see gas back to $2/g. The manuf will just not manuf to keep prices where they can make a profit.

jonp
12-24-2013, 05:22 PM
Just bought 1k win lpp for $35. Many wins on the shelf of all flavors. Had a shelf full of 2400 @ $22.95/lb

Hardcast416taylor
12-24-2013, 06:03 PM
Well fellas I just gave to a Marine vet buddy of mine all my old `90`s vintage Remington H.V. H.P. .22 LR ammo last week. It totaled 1535 rounds all together. He has fought Agent Orange in his feet for the last 20+ years from `Nam where he was a sniper. He expects to lose his lower left leg at the knee this Spring. I really don`t care what the ammo was worth, my buddy is cash strapped from his med bills and needed a "gift" from someone this Christmas. As far as having seen ammo on shelves, haven`t seen much.Robert

Shiloh
12-24-2013, 06:11 PM
Primers are cheaper and more available here than .22's

Shiloh

cbrick
12-24-2013, 06:22 PM
Was in WallyWorld yesterday and was passing the ammo counter when a hand truck showed up with three cases of 22 rimfire. CCI Stinger 32 gr @ $6.50 a box of 50, limit three box's. I passed, that's $65.00 a brick for 22's and I can, will & do shoot center fire cheaper than that. They didn't bother putting them on the shelf, set the cases on the floor next to the cash register and a line formed, dished out 3 box's at a time till they were gone.

Rick

Kraschenbirn
12-24-2013, 07:02 PM
Haven't seen .22s 'on the shelf' around here for months...LGS or 'big box'. Last time was at our local Dick's Sporting Goods...don't usually don't shop there but checking out a sale on some fishing gear. Guy behind the counter was stacking bricks of CCI on the shelf so I asked about price. "$40 a carton but only two to a customer." he says, but when I took a closer look, I saw what he was stacking was 'Standard Velocity Match' so I grabbed a couple bricks (I'd been paying $35-$36 a brick, pre-panic). Next day, the shelves were, again, bare and I haven't seen any .22 LR since.

Bill

w5pv
12-24-2013, 07:13 PM
I have a couple hundred .22 rounds and refuse to pay the prices they are asking.I have a friend that bought several bricks at the elevated price.
I think if everyone would stop buying for about 3 months the price would drop and the supply would increase.

cbrick
12-24-2013, 07:51 PM
I think if everyone would stop buying for about 3 months the price would drop and the supply would increase.

:mrgreen: Sure can't be much doubt the supply would increase huh?

Rick

trys357
12-24-2013, 08:17 PM
Paid $40 for a brick of 22lr CCI standard for a Christmas present for a grandchild last week.
CCI small pistol primers are @ $35 / 1000.
Bought in NH ... I'm from MA.

dilly
12-24-2013, 09:00 PM
I wasn't really paying attention at the time but can anyone give me a comparison of this shortage to the ammo shortage of 2008? I don't recall 22 being ever anywhere near this hard to find.

gcsteve
12-24-2013, 10:54 PM
Seems like most LGS's near me have at least some primers, usually around $35/1K. However, during my travels today I stopped in at a LGS about 30 miles from any competitors, and he was charging $79.90/1k. When I declined to pay that price, I commented that he was asking for over 100% above the going retail rate. He just shrugged his shoulders and put them back on the shelf. I don't think I'll be back.

Ben
12-24-2013, 11:02 PM
Well fellas I just gave to a Marine vet buddy of mine all my old `90`s vintage Remington H.V. H.P. .22 LR ammo last week. It totaled 1535 rounds all together. He has fought Agent Orange in his feet for the last 20+ years from `Nam where he was a sniper. He expects to lose his lower left leg at the knee this Spring. I really don`t care what the ammo was worth, my buddy is cash strapped from his med bills and needed a "gift" from someone this Christmas. As far as having seen ammo on shelves, haven`t seen much.Robert

Robert ,

I think you gave a Marine a Happy Christmas.

Helped mine greatly just reading your story .

Best,

Ben

kens
12-24-2013, 11:19 PM
I don't think there has ever been a shortage on ammo/shooting stuff like this Obama Admin.
The last time, I remember primers getting short, and guns being sold, but, not at this rate.

I never remember going into a gun store with EMPTY shelves. Empty of guns, ammo, reloading components, whatever.
This recent thing is never seen before. None of the previous gun scares voided the sellers of boolit molds, but this one did.

And to think about how much Feinstein & Obama want to get rid of all the guns; do they realize just how much they are arming up so many people????

Nickle
12-24-2013, 11:40 PM
Just bought 1k win lpp for $35. Many wins on the shelf of all flavors. Had a shelf full of 2400 @ $22.95/lb

I like that Green Mountain Boy's battle flag you've got there. Are you a fellow "woodchuck", or just one in the past?

Well, tell him I say thanks, from a fellow veteran. Give my "brother" a handshake while you're at it.

I hope he does all right from that amputation.

williamwaco
12-24-2013, 11:47 PM
We have been buying 525 packs at Walmart and Gander Mountain for 21 to 22 bucks. not every day but at least once a week we can find a few.
Carrollton/Lewisville TX.

Bullshop Junior
12-25-2013, 12:52 AM
I don't think there has ever been a shortage on ammo/shooting stuff like this Obama Admin.
The last time, I remember primers getting short, and guns being sold, but, not at this rate.

I never remember going into a gun store with EMPTY shelves. Empty of guns, ammo, reloading components, whatever.
This recent thing is never seen before. None of the previous gun scares voided the sellers of boolit molds, but this one did.

Everyone thinks its bad now, think what will happen in Mrs. Clinton gets in next round..

jonp
12-25-2013, 09:44 PM
Haven't seen .22s 'on the shelf' around here for months...LGS or 'big box'. Last time was at our local Dick's Sporting Goods...don't usually don't shop there but checking out a sale on some fishing gear. Guy behind the counter was stacking bricks of CCI on the shelf so I asked about price. "$40 a carton but only two to a customer." he says, but when I took a closer look, I saw what he was stacking was 'Standard Velocity Match' so I grabbed a couple bricks (I'd been paying $35-$36 a brick, pre-panic). Next day, the shelves were, again, bare and I haven't seen any .22 LR since.

Bill
I won't shop at Dicks again after they pulled all of their ar's off the shelves after sandy hook

starmac
12-25-2013, 09:59 PM
I don't think the shortage in 08 lasted as long, but we went 6 months without primers, powder and ammo. It was at least 6 months before I could even find caps and powder for a muzzle loader here.

I don't think it would take three months for the ammo companies to catch up on 22 lr if everyone stopped buying it, in fact I would bet if somehow everyone stopped for 2 weeks the stores would be completely overstocked, from what I see here. It seems like sportsmans here is probably selling 3 times as much 22 lr as normal, but most people never even see it, as you have to be there the day it unloads, which is better tan it was, a few months ago, unless you were there within an hour or two of them wheeling it out, you never knew they had even had it.

double bogey
12-26-2013, 01:40 AM
Walmart on my side of big D hasn't had any on shelves. They are getting them and they are flying off the shelf. When I get there they're gone. I still have plenty, just check for curiosity. Last I saw at gun show was fed550's asking $70.00 a brick. My brother got a couple of winchester bulk packs monday at walmart in Plano. I made it a point to pick up a couple of bricks each time I went in, ( before the latest panic) and still have enough for six months or so. I did see a brick at one around thanksgiving, but left it for someone who didn't have any, I hope.

JSH
12-26-2013, 07:51 AM
I have not bought a single round of .22 in over a year. And I still have plenty. I am actually at the point of thinking about selling all but a few select .22s and ammo they like. Take those funds and put towards powder and primer.
I have a few air guns but none in .22. Have considered one in a pistol and a rifle.
Don't get me wrong I really like to shoot the .22 but when I can load a cb in a center fire case for less or same $ something is wrong.
I am really surprised that the CCM cartridges have not shown more interest in the past year.
Jeff

Garyshome
12-26-2013, 08:36 AM
Great find and I hope you are correct!

Old Caster
12-26-2013, 08:23 PM
Hi Tech just had CCI small pistol and small rifle for $27 a thousand in full case sales. They lasted for about 3 weeks and they are gone now. They expect more shortly.

Old Caster
12-27-2013, 04:22 PM
They already have more CCI small $135 5 thousand.

Old Dawg
12-28-2013, 01:01 PM
If 'He' won't his competitors will. Greed will prevail.