PDA

View Full Version : reloading question

Tod
11-25-2007, 09:26 PM
I have a TC Scout 54 cal. I shoot Hornady Great Plains .425 GR HB HP boolits. I would like to make my own but have no idea where to start. Any thoughts would be appreciated.:confused:

Ohio Rusty
11-25-2007, 10:24 PM
I have a mould that T/C made for .54 caliber. The original conical bullet that T/C made as a mould was called the 'maxiball' and had 2 deep, wide lube grooves. I have one of those in .50 caliber when I shot a hawken. Then T/C came out with the 'Maxi-bullet' which had a flatter meplat and a dimple on the front not unlike the dimple on the end of a modern shotgun slug. It seems to me there was also a company making a conical that looked similiar to the Great Plains bullet. All of the above are flat based, not hollow based. As far as I know, there isn't anyone currently manufacturing any new conical muzzleloading bullets as those have lost favor to the new sabot designs for the modern inline muzzleloaders. You can do searches on the net for .54 caliber B/P moulds and get a list of the ones that were made. Then start searching the different auction places for the particular one you are looking for. You can also have a custom mould cut, but the cost would be high, and you would have to sell alot of the cast bullets from that mould to recoup some of your money. There are .54 moulds are out there, or if your barrel is 1 in 48 twist or slower, you can always shoot patched round balls.
Ohio Rusty ><>
Psalms 27:1-3/91:9-11 (AMP)

Larry Gibson
11-25-2007, 10:53 PM
Tod

Lyman makes a 54 cal "Plains" mould. It is not HP or HB but that can be done if needed. Are you set up for casting?

Larry Gibson

Tod
11-25-2007, 11:10 PM
Tod

Lyman makes a 54 cal "Plains" mould. It is not HP or HB but that can be done if needed. Are you set up for casting?

Larry Gibson

No I am not set up for casting but I do want to get started in it. The HB is not a big deal for me I was just listing what I shoot and the Great Plains work well for me but I will shoot anything else just so it shoots good out of my 54 cal. Scout.
Thanks Ohio Rusty for the info. I will do some looking on the net. for moulds. Thanks again this is an awesome site.:drinks: