PDA

View Full Version : Case Holder for Arthritic Hands

Guardian
12-20-2013, 07:22 PM
Thought this might help someone. I removed the case chuck head from a Lyman Universal trimmer, drilled a hole in pool ball, and then assembled the two. I removed the thumb stud from the case chuck because it was just in the way. This has solved my issue of hanging onto a case while using the RCBS case prep center or other tools that require me to grip the case by the base. The case in the photo is a 223. You can get the chuck head from Lyman for $16 + shipping, according to their website.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=91123&d=1387581200

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=91121&d=1387580400

Someone on this site has a similar setup using a wooden ball and a Lee chuck. I can't remember who it was and I can't find the thread I saw it in, but thanks for the idea.

Now if I can just figure out a method of holding the case from the other end in a similar tool to do the primer pocket uniforming........

hornetman
12-20-2013, 07:42 PM
Great idea-thanks for sharing. I'm making one tomorrow.

RussL
12-21-2013, 10:28 AM
Try a piece of small diameter rubber hose. I used 1/4" fuel line and slit it for a inch or so to hold .223s.
Russ

Buzzard II
12-21-2013, 11:57 AM
Two great ideas! Thanks! Bob

blikseme300
12-21-2013, 07:40 PM
Thanks for sharing. As father time catches up with us we need to compensate, as I found out recently. Between arthritis and carpal tunnel syndrome I can no longer do the things I could when I was younger. Larger ball handles on my presses help a lot and I avoid the super-duper handguns and rifles. Amazing what the so-called puny cartridges will do on game if placement is proper.

Guardian
12-21-2013, 08:49 PM
Russ,

Thanks for the tip. That seems simple enough. I could put a stud on another ball and slip a short piece of tubing over it. I'll try that.

I am trying to figure out a method to use a Lee collet neck sizing die and activate the collet without a press. I'd like to have a collet that grabbed the entire case, but I don't have a lathe or know how to use one. Maybe one day....