PDA

View Full Version : Virginia Eastern Shore Gatling Gun?

Tatume
12-20-2013, 04:28 PM
Hello Folks,

A friend of mine is heading for the Eastern Shore for a couple of days, and I told him about two Gatling Guns on display outside in the Courthouse Circle in one of the towns. I thought the town was Exmore, but I can't find anything about it and it's been quite a few years since I was there. Do any of you know which town displays the guns?

Thanks, Tom

waksupi
12-20-2013, 07:55 PM
That's what I thought. I cannot imagine anyone leaving Gatling guns outside like that. Are you sure they aren't howitzers, cannons, or some other ordinance? I would think Gatlings would be stripped of parts in pretty short order.

Tatume
12-20-2013, 08:01 PM
In fact, I am not sure exactly what they are. They are multi-barrel guns on carriages, but the are not the Gatling guns made famous in TV westerns. The caliber was quite large, and they appeared to be approximately WWI vintage. I would like to know more about them myself.

Green Frog
12-20-2013, 09:57 PM
... so where are they? :???:

salpal48
12-20-2013, 10:16 PM
I sure the town You are talking about is Easton ,Maryland. I was there Goose hunting about 25 years ago. > Thinking They are 37MM revolving cannons

square butte
12-20-2013, 10:26 PM
I believe there are two - Not on their original carriages - mounted on top of the arch in front of the state house in Concord, NH. They are quite high up so you can't get a great look at em.

Tatume
12-21-2013, 09:16 AM
Still searching, but have found nothing. I'm looking in Accomack, Easton, Exmore, and Eastville. I've also done internet searches for Hotchkiss, revolving cannon, and any other variations I can conjure. I took photos when I saw them, but that was back in the film days, and I can't find my prints.

HeavyMetal
12-21-2013, 11:51 AM
Early battleships had a Gatling style revolving cannon, pictures I saw the rig had four barrrels, these were mounted, Two foreward and Two aft Port and Starboard, to repel small craft and possible boarders during conflict or so the article said.

Believe that was in a Guns and Ammo mag some time in the early 70s, might have been one of the early G & A annuals as well.

turmech
12-21-2013, 11:57 AM
If there in Easton I could get you a pic. I live only a short drive away and work has me there often. I have lived hear my whole life and never notice them which does not mean they are not here. To the guy posting they are in Easton, do you remember what building or area? (I know you posted it was a long time ago)

sirgknight
12-21-2013, 12:28 PM
I know this isn't the Eastern shore, BUT, is this similar to the gun that you are describing?

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM3A8X_47mm_5_rotating_barrel_Naval_Cannon_Fairfie ld_CA

sirgknight
12-21-2013, 12:57 PM
or, maybe this one:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Colt_Mod_1865_Gatling_Gun_Caliber_1-inch.JPG

Tatume
12-21-2013, 01:01 PM
It's been quite a few years since I've seen the guns. The two of them were on wheeled carriages, as I recall.

salpal48
12-21-2013, 02:49 PM
Turmech
We were staying @ the tidwater Hotel @ the time . Hunting at Huntray farms. passed a building That's what I thought they were. 1976-77-78
Sal

Tatume
12-21-2013, 05:41 PM
Another town I visited a few years ago that might be a candidate is Crisfield, MD. I can't find anything on the Web showing the pieces here either.

Kent Fowler
12-22-2013, 04:02 PM
I don't know, but that's a lot of money sitting out in the weather.

I remember an article about 30 years ago by one of the older gun writers, who said when he was about 8 or 9, his mother used to let him take the train into
NY City to Bannermans. I think this was around 1910-1920 era, but he said the sales staff got used to him and would pretty much let him wander around the place. The store was 4 or 5 stories tall, but he said the basement was full of Civil War cannon and Gatling guns that nobody wanted and Francis Bannerman couldn't get rid of. Bannerman, after the Spanish-American war, had purchased 90% of the U.S. Army surplus which came with a huge amount of ammunition. He purchased a castle on an island in the Hudson river to store a lot of his munitions. Interesting read if you care to google it up. The writer was lamenting the fact he could have gotten a Gatling gun for little or nothing. I don't blame him.