PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Coast Guardsman dies of injuries suffered in rescue operation off Alaska

DCP
12-20-2013, 11:38 AM
U.S. Coast Guardsman dies of injuries suffered in rescue operation off Alaska

SEATTLE — A U.S. Coast Guardsman died in a Seattle hospital Wednesday of injuries suffered while conducting a rescue operation near Amak island, Alaska, on Nov. 11.

Petty Officer Third Class Travis Obendorf’s family was by his side when he died in Swedish Hospital following surgery, the Coast Guard said.

At the time of his injury, Obendorf and his colleagues aboard Coast Guard Cutter Waesche were conducting small boat operations to assist the disabled fishing vessel Alaska Mist with 22 crew aboard. During the first transfer of passengers, Obendorf was injured while recovering the small boat. A Coast Guard helicopter crew transported him to Cold Bay for a commercial medevac to Anchorage and further medical care. Obendorf’s family arrived in Anchorage shortly thereafter. He was then transferred to Swedish Hospital Dec. 6 for continued medical care.

“Petty Officer Obendorf’s selfless actions directly contributed to rescuing five mariners in distress. His willingness to assist others, even amidst the dangerous environment of the Bering Sea, truly embodies the Coast Guard’s core values,” said Waesche’s commanding officer, Capt. John McKinley. “Travis will be sadly missed.”

The Coast Guard is investigating the incident.

Read more: http://q13fox.com/2013/12/18/u-s-coast-guardsman-dies-of-injuries-suffered-in-rescue-operation-off-alaska/#ixzz2o1usvSNz

w5pv
12-20-2013, 12:34 PM
Coast Guard personnel are put into a lot of life threating situations that they train for but never get the same recognition that others get that are in combat.Prayers sent for his family.

koehn,jim
12-20-2013, 01:38 PM
The Coast Guard is a small but dedicated bunch of brave men and women who make it better for those who put to sea. Best wishes and prayers for the family.

Baja_Traveler
12-20-2013, 01:48 PM
The Semper Paratus attitude was the reason I went into the Coast Guard so many years ago - they'll go out on a rescue when all the others wait for better conditions. Unfortunately because of that stuff like this happens occasionally... My thoughts go out to the family.

s mac
12-20-2013, 02:05 PM
This touches me also, I have a nephew, also my niece's husband both in the Coast Guard.

AlaskanGuy
12-20-2013, 03:18 PM
I saw this on the news here this morning... Believe me when i say, the coast guard does so much for Alaska... The are the last line of help, and many of the fisherman here owe them their lives. I pains me very much that this brave young man gave his life... And that he has family that will be left without a great man by their side... Lord, please bless this heroes family, in Jesus name..

When i was a Marine, and then in the army, we used to make a lot of jokes about the coast guard. But when i grew up, i realized the near impossible job that they do... And i for one, thank them every chance i get. We have a small coastguard base here.... And i am Damm glad that they are here. They save the lives of fisherman in our small community every single year. Bless the US Coast Guard...

AG

popper
12-20-2013, 04:18 PM
Prayers for the family. I have a friend who was on a cutter, they don't get the recognition that they should.

opos
12-20-2013, 04:23 PM
So sad....those men and women are sort of the unsung heros of many a very difficult time in very difficult conditions. Having spent countless hours offshore over the past 40 years I have nothing but the deepest respect for the "Coasties"...my sincere thanks and condolences to the family, the friends and the shipmates.

turmech
12-20-2013, 09:59 PM
Very sad to hear and my prayers go out to the family.

I have never been in the bering sea but I have launched those boats a few times in the North Atlantic. Seeing how bad Georges or the Grand banks can get in the winter I can only imagine how bad the bearing sea can get by reputation. I looked up the Waesche as I was not familiar with it. Looks like it is a newly commissioned series of ships which replace the old 378' cutters. I was on a 275' cutter. We had two small boats ( IIRC so did the 378) one rigid hull inflatable and a slightly larger one resembling a bath tub. The larger one was used in extreme bad weather and IMO was scarier to launch/recover. It had forward and aft hooks which required two members to operate in sink (mind you in heavy seas). I don't know if this is similar to what injured the petty officer or not. I can tell you I had a buddy loose quite a few teeth to it once and nearly flipped on another occasion.

nicholst55
12-20-2013, 11:15 PM
I have the utmost respect for the men and women of our Coast Guard. I wish the young man 'fair winds and following seas,' and pray for his family and his shipmates. May they rest a little easier knowing that God has called Travis home, and that he know rests in His bosom.

Artful
12-21-2013, 12:16 AM
R.I.P. Petty Officer Third Class Travis Obendorf, we thank you for your sacrifice.

Lloyd Smale
12-21-2013, 08:41 AM
you can join any other branch of the service in peacetime and have a relitively safe inlistment. The Coast Guards war never ends. there are costies in danger every day of the year. Be it jumping out of a helicopter, braving a storm that no sane man would go out in to save someone else, or running down drug cartels that would just as soon shoot you as look at you. Read some on the Coast Gurad special service guys that worked under the last comandant.(The newest comandant didnt like the public thinking his coasties could be down and dirty soldiers) Then when the real wars start there put on the front lines as they were in nam running riverboats into enemy territory. I recomend a book called "not your fathers coastguard" Petty officer obendorf, prayers will be said for you and many others that have served before you.

MtGun44
12-22-2013, 12:08 PM
He rests as a hero forever. Well done, young man, I grieve for the price
you paid.

I have worked the deck in a small sailboat in a force 8 gale, but in warm waters,
so I have slight understanding of the issues. This is very dangerous work and
the sea is entirely unrelenting. I imagine that the cold waters makes everything
dramatically more difficult and dangerous. Those that willingly choose to go forth
in these conditions to save others are the real definition of heroes.

Bill