PDA

View Full Version : got an odd smith I think

oldfart
11-25-2007, 06:56 PM
10-6 heavy barrel S&W with British issue proofs
its not a victory model
serial begin with v, this one has a D53xxx serial
its stamped 10-6 on the receiver, inside under the cylinder as it should, its has crown with BNP under it .
on the barrel,frame and cylinder it has what appears to be a crown with capitol letters BNP under it. its on the left side only...any ideas?

Swagerman
11-25-2007, 09:00 PM
I'm not sure the 10-6 designation goes back to WW-2 and the Victory model, but maybe it did. Probably a .38 special.

Are the grips checkered or smooth walnut. Got any pictures.

Jim

oldfart
11-25-2007, 09:07 PM
I'm not sure the 10-6 designation goes back to WW-2 and the Victory model, but maybe it did. Probably a .38 special.

Are the grips checkered or smooth walnut. Got any pictures.

Jim

they are checkered, will try to get pics of the proofs later.
it is a 38spcl

BruceB
11-25-2007, 11:25 PM
According to "The Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson", the 10-6 model commenced in 1962 and the "D" prefix serial numbers began in 1967 with D1.

ALL firearms entering Britain must pass through their proofing procedure, and that's where the BNP ("British National Proof") markings came to be.

I believe it's a normal-production S&W which at one time happened to be in the British Isles, with nothing particularly odd about it beyond the Brit proofs.

Still a very nice gun, and the K-frame is the base for many a truly fine handgun.

EMC45
11-26-2007, 09:21 AM
Well put Bruce!

Swagerman
11-27-2007, 10:16 AM
Kind of figured the 10-6 was a .38 special, but didn't know Britain would ever allow one on their Island after WW-2.

Jim

Scrounger
11-27-2007, 10:39 AM
Kind of figured the 10-6 was a .38 special, but didn't know Britain would ever allow one on their Island after WW-2.

Jim

Don't you realize that such laws don't apply to the wealthy, the famous, or political leaders? Not in this country or any other. Laws are for control of the unwashed masses...

BruceB
11-27-2007, 11:26 AM
It seems that many firearms pass through Britain without ever being available to the local population, but still must go through British proofing. Therefore, British proofs do NOT mean British use.

The two REAL (TRW-built) M-14s that I owned in Canada were both British-proofed, and it's an absolute certainty that they were never legal for British-subject ownership. My sketchy information on those rifles indicated that they were obtained from Israel in one of those behind-the-scenes arms deals which go on all the time....very shady circles, much of the time.

Swagerman
11-28-2007, 12:32 PM
I use to correspond with a chap over there in Blighty realm, but we had some computer issues that were really fowling up my email. Someone or something was putting a bug in my system and it kept repeating incoming over and over.

But this fellow had several fine handguns and he was a regular subject, not one of the elitist hoy paloy.

Though his Taurus .45 acp had a strange forearm stock that was required by their laws, it also had a 8 or 10 inch barrel.

He sent pictures of Walther's PPK, Luger, and a bunch other handguns, so it is not a total blackout on owning handguns as long as you play the registering and giving your first born to the Queen. :mrgreen:

Jim

Crash_Corrigan
12-09-2007, 02:47 AM
This is the revolter that I had to buy when I joined the NYCPD in 1964. It cost $43.00 then. Ser C643963 Marked model 10-5 and was a heavy barreled 4" rev that I carried for 20 years. It saved my bacon a few times and was an excellent shooter. The gun in my Avitar is a photo of that gun and my Sergeants Shield.

I loaded it with the standard 158 GR LSWC boolit but I cheated and upped the FPS to around 1100 FPS using unique. Sometime the ejections were a bit tough but it sure did a number on a Felon's kneecap one time. The leg had to be amputated.