PDA

View Full Version : IT Tech

Beekeeper
12-19-2013, 12:08 AM
Do we have any here on the forum?
I recently shifted over to Verizon Fios for phone, internet and TV
Required a new router fed via coax versus cat 5 wiring.
I think it is called a generation 5 router.
Anyway none of my wireless equipment will recognize the router and vice versus.
Is there any way I can hook up my previous router and get my equipment to work.

Was thinking maybe hooking up the old router to one of the new router connections and maybe getting it to work. Yes or no?

Any help appreciated.

beekeeper

David2011
12-19-2013, 12:15 AM
Beekeeper,

I have a long history in business networking but am not familiar with the gen 5 router however your concept is sound. In order for it to work the DHCP IP address assignments on the old router will have to be turned off. If it isn't then both routers will try to assign IP addresses on your household network and really hose things up. Other than that, it should work.

David

MaryB
12-19-2013, 12:49 AM
Sounds like Wireless N and you have 802b, different frequency etc. Your plan may work but setting could get tricky as mentioned

Moonie
12-19-2013, 11:19 AM
Not all routers are wireless routers.

Bohica793
12-19-2013, 11:24 AM
I would first verify that your new router actually supports wireless connectivity and that the wireless is enabled and properly configured. My guess is that either the router has no wireless support, it is not enabled or it is improperly configured.

Beekeeper
12-19-2013, 11:37 AM
All I know is it has them little antenna thingys on it and it worked for the verizon installer man.
Other than that all of my stuff is of the 802.11B style and as far as I am able to trouble shoot it is incompatable with new router.
Do not use it much so not a big issue but makes me mad that all of my wireless gear is now (kinda like me) obsolete
Just some more of the throw away and buy new every 6 months belief going around I guess.

garandsrus
12-19-2013, 11:42 AM
The newer routers normally support the older standards so the older stuff should work fine. Do your older devices "see" the new network, meaning it shows up as an option? The router could be set up to not broadcast it's name.

foesgth
12-19-2013, 01:24 PM
OK, here goes...

1. Does your new router take a wired connection? If it does hookup to the router with a wired connection.
2. Log into the router so you can see what is going on.
3. Remove all wireless security making it an “open” router. You can add security later.
4. You should have a tab on the routers setup screen for attached device.
5. Get a wireless computer and browse for the new router. If you see the router while browsing you should be able to connect. If you can connect you will see the wireless computer show up in connected devices.
6. If you still cannot use the wireless computer on the INTERNET it is probably due to the fact that your new router is not providing all the settings.
7. If you get to the point where you can connect but not browse let me know and we will take it from there1

Advice from an unemployed UNIX admin.

popper
12-20-2013, 10:51 AM
your router will need to be set up as a sub (192.168.200.001, then your devices are 192.168.200.201,202,203, etc. - don't use .000.000, bad guys look for that ) network on your fios router(wired or wireless). Then all your devices (computers, printer, etc.) set up on the sub net. Your network is a device to the fios router, your devices are devices on your router (fios user & passwords used). I have the fios router and that is the way I set mine. If you don't want to use your router that way, you will have to set up all your devices on the fios router. If you had a power fail, you may have to reset the fios router and let it re-discover all your devices. I prefer the sub-net method as it is more secure and works better in exchanging data between my devices. You should be able to get the service man set it up the way you want. Set up a service call with fios.

Beekeeper
12-21-2013, 10:11 AM
Had the verizon man out last night.
Took him all of 20 minutes to solve the problem(after I screwed with it all day)!
Seems 802.11 gear of any generation is not compatable with the new gear.
Will see it but not connect, said they were having a lot of problems that way.

Fix: simply piggy back my old router on to the new one and everything works great.
Great young man and spent the time to make sure all devices worked and spent some time bringing me up to speed on both the new and what I could do with the old and new.
Did not realize I was that far behind the times and learning curve.

Any way problem solved

beekeeper

popper
12-21-2013, 11:58 AM
Fix: simply piggy back my old router on to the new one and everything works great.
Yup, he put you on a sub net, right? They are very good at installs but you have to tell them to set up the entire network. The b/n stuff and n/g stuff will connect but you have to do it manually.
Be sure to write down all the router(s) setups so when something fails you don't have to call them back to set up again. Actually you should have all the network (IP, MAC, DHCP) #'s written down. When my fios router failed (lightning strike nearby), they mailed another but I had to set it up.