PDA

View Full Version : No more lead boolits?

Crawdaddy
12-18-2013, 05:41 PM
Did this come out of no where or have I not b een paying attention? Im glad I have a stock pile of lead.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/12/18/end-line-for-lead-bullet-regulations-bans-force-switch-to-green-ammo/

375RUGER
12-18-2013, 05:58 PM
The Army should use green bullets to match their uniforms. I can't believe the last bullet smelter is closing.

w5pv
12-18-2013, 05:58 PM
This may mean more lead for us to shoot,It is the army phasing out the lead ammo.

Jtarm
12-18-2013, 06:06 PM
I read about this months ago. It's the last smelter in the U.S. That doesn't mean it can't be imported. And the U.S. is not the only military ammo is made for.
Maybe that's what spurred the big DHS purchase, wanted to get it before it went green:-)

357maximum
12-18-2013, 06:12 PM
The Army should use green bullets to match their uniforms. I can't believe the last bullet smelter is closing.

:smile: :lol: It's officially unofficial :mrgreen:

Crawdaddy
12-18-2013, 06:51 PM
If this smelter is closing down what does that mean for other lead uses, weights, radiology etc. Lead could become scarce. If they end smelting here I suspect an import ban is looming.

On a side note:

My son just called me, he is a student at ENMU, one of the alumni in the fraternity he is in owns a scrap yard. He just scored 144 pounds of SOWW for 30 cents a pound. I was happy. My stash got bigger after I started this thread.

soldierbilly1
12-18-2013, 07:29 PM
the 12 states banned lead bullets and the govt finished em off. say what. the hunters and their families were being exposed to too much lead. Are you kidding me? Obama's EPA has got to go.
anyone know what the particulars are in those states that banned the Pb bullets?
funny, the new bullets cost considerably more. imported lead bullets will be banned within moments I am sure! God save us!
billy boy

dragon813gt
12-18-2013, 07:44 PM
The first sentence of that article is completely wrong. Yes, Doe Run is closing down. But they don't make bullets. Why are reporters so sloppy?

Love Life
12-18-2013, 07:47 PM
Have ya'll heard about doe run?

waco
12-18-2013, 07:53 PM
Have ya'll heard about doe run?

Not again......:)

Wag
12-18-2013, 07:55 PM
This is the worst piece of reporting I've seen in a long time. The product made at Doe Run had absolutely NOTHING to do with bullet making. Nearly all of the lead currently in use for bullets is recycled lead, primarily from lead car batteries (and no, you can't do THAT at home, trust me).

Here's an article: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/12/chris-dumm/nssf-sierra-atk-worried-lead-smelter-closure/

The Fox article also says something about pennies being taken out of production as if that mattered a whit. Pennies haven't been made of copper for over 50 years. They are presently made out of zinc.

I'm not the least bit concerned about the coming supply of lead bullets. Not to mention, as casters, we probably have less to worry about than anyone else.

--Wag--

62chevy
12-18-2013, 07:58 PM
Not again......:)

yes again and you will like it too.:groner:

soldierbilly1
12-18-2013, 08:25 PM
This is the worst piece of reporting I've seen in a long time. The product made at Doe Run had absolutely NOTHING to do with bullet making. Nearly all of the lead currently in use for bullets is recycled lead, primarily from lead car batteries (and no, you can't do THAT at home, trust me).

Here's an article: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/12/chris-dumm/nssf-sierra-atk-worried-lead-smelter-closure/

The Fox article also says something about pennies being taken out of production as if that mattered a whit. Pennies haven't been made of copper for over 50 years. They are presently made out of zinc.

I'm not the least bit concerned about the coming supply of lead bullets. Not to mention, as casters, we probably have less to worry about than anyone else.

--Wag--
Mr. Wag: thanks for the help here. I will sleep tonight! billy boy

HNSB
12-18-2013, 08:30 PM
I saw this article earlier today.
I wonder what Fox's angle is in publishing it. Much of the article is fiction, so they must be working toward some objective with it...

35 Whelen
12-18-2013, 09:34 PM
This may mean more lead for us to shoot,It is the army phasing out the lead ammo.

This what I figure will happen too. Demand goes down, supply goes up, and prices god down...hopefully.

Read this (http://sierrabullets.wordpress.com/2013/11/01/sierra-responds-how-will-the-closure-of-the-lead-smelting-plant-affect-sierra-bullets/) and see if it eases your mind.

35W

375RUGER
12-18-2013, 09:43 PM

So I got it right? I wasn't sure if it was the correct shade.

375RUGER
12-18-2013, 09:44 PM

375RUGER
12-18-2013, 09:45 PM

375RUGER
12-18-2013, 09:51 PM

freebullet
12-18-2013, 10:05 PM
China

leeggen
12-18-2013, 10:20 PM
All the major bullet makers are using recycled lead. this was discussed a few days/weeks back on another thread here. Supposedly the bullet makers, using lead, do not even purchase newly mined lead from Doe Run.
CD

starmac
12-18-2013, 11:38 PM
Doesn't that recycled lead come from newly mined lead at some time????? or does it just regenerate itself? There are many things lead is used for, even some sinkers use 3 pounds at a whack. There is no way it won't eventually affect the price of ammo, unless they OUTLAW lead ammo.

Slow Elk 45/70
12-19-2013, 02:00 AM
+1 for Obummer's EPA has got to go soon! Oboma needs to go also....If he won't quit we need to impeach the Lying so & so

dkf
12-19-2013, 02:47 AM
"Green" ammo is just another way .GOV found to piss away more of the taxpayers $$$.

Wag
12-19-2013, 10:10 AM
Similar issues were raised on another forum I'm on so I posted this. Mostly just theorizing but, here you go (http://www.nationalgunforum.com/general-gun-discussion/40136-some-good-news.html#post340937).

--Wag--

soldierbilly1
12-19-2013, 10:23 AM
+1 for Obummer's EPA has got to go soon! Oboma needs to go also....If he won't quit we need to impeach the Lying so & so

Correctamondo! billy boy

giz189
12-19-2013, 11:37 PM
Doesn't that recycled lead come from newly mined lead at some time????? or does it just regenerate itself? There are many things lead is used for, even some sinkers use 3 pounds at a whack. There is no way it won't eventually affect the price of ammo, unless they OUTLAW lead ammo.. I wondered if I was the only person on here who thought like that Starmac. If the lead is not mined and smelted, how the hell are we gonna get recycled lead from car batteries....that don't have much lead in them anymore anyway. Do folks think recycled lead comes out of thin air?

jonp
12-20-2013, 01:21 AM
I thought we would get lead from that mine or smelter or whatever in Missouri I think but I heard it's closing down. Anyone heard about that?

62chevy
12-20-2013, 11:49 AM
. I wondered if I was the only person on here who thought like that Starmac. If the lead is not mined and smelted, how the hell are we gonna get recycled lead from car batteries....that don't have much lead in them anymore anyway. Do folks think recycled lead comes out of thin air?

All the "new" lead will come from smelters in China and Mexico. If they want they can build a smelter just across the Mexican boarder with no filter or very few higher Mexican workers at a tenth of what we would pay and ship it across the boarder with no import fees. Lead smelted there with out the EPA hanging over there head and cheap labor would be even cheaper.

fredj338
12-20-2013, 01:55 PM
So let's get this straight. The govt is so concerned about lead exposure they are going to green lead free bullets. So somehow lead is a bigger issue than the depleted uranium rounds used in Iraq #1? Seriously, the govt, especially as run by liberals, needs to step aside & let adults run things.
FWIW, in Kommifornia, the lead ban is for hunting/shooting on public lands. So far, we can still shoot lead bullets on private lands.