PDA

View Full Version : .310 .311 cast question wih gas check

lonewolf5347
12-18-2013, 01:40 PM
I had some one let me try some cast bullets In the marlin 30-30 I tested today I went with the .311 diameter.
I did not throw any powder or a new primer more like a dummy test round to see if the bullet will chamber without any problems.
I resized the case and did not have a Lyman M die or a Lee flaring die on hand ,but what I did do to start the .311with a gas check installed was to use the RCBS Chamfer and Deburring Tool with one twist on the inside of the brass neck help the bullet start with no problems of any lead shaving off.I went to factory spec: C.O.A.L. loaded the magazine tube cock the lever ,round chambered with out any problems,I did see on the cast bullet very light barrel lands marks I like to ask what your views on the very light marks would I run into any excess pressure.I was thinking starting out with IMR 3031 at 26.0 grains of powder to see how all goes.
I did not roll crimp and will say this bullet is in tight,I also did not know the 2 die system from Lee the bullet seating die has no roll crimp

RickinTN
12-18-2013, 02:07 PM
Light marks on the bullet are no problem, probably even desired. It will help the bullet enter the throat "centered". Pressure spikes won't be a problem either as cast bullets are much softer than their copper jacketed counterparts. You didn't mention the bullet weight but if it is in the "normal" range for 30-30...150 to 175 grains or so, your starting charge of 3031 should be a good place to start.
Good Luck,
Rick

RickinTN
12-18-2013, 02:08 PM
Light marks on the bullet are no problem, probably even desired. It will help the bullet enter the throat "centered". Pressure spikes won't be a problem either as cast bullets are much softer than their copper jacketed counterparts. You didn't mention the bullet weight but if it is in the "normal" range for 30-30...150 to 175 grains or so, your starting charge of 3031 should be a good place to start.
Good Luck,
Rick

cbrick
12-18-2013, 02:12 PM
Rifling marks on the nose to me is a good thing, tells me it's snug as long as it's not so snug that the boolit is pulled when opening the action. Look at the marks, if they are even all the way around it tells you the boolit is in a straight line with the bore and will properly ride the bore. No, that won't increase pressure unless your shooting diamonds.

I don't use much 3031 in the 30-30 so can't comment on the load. My go to powder(s) is mostly SR 4759 and more recently N-133 & N-135.

Rick

lonewolf5347
12-18-2013, 03:44 PM
thank you
Yep lines are light and equal around the lead bullet
bullet weight is 173 grains

Wayne Smith
12-18-2013, 04:44 PM
Sounds ideal to me. I have a fat boolit that requires me to put a little pressure on the lever to chamber the round. They do not pull when I eject a loaded round. They are as accurate as condom boolits in those two rifles, both Marlins.