PDA

View Full Version : Other thoughts about what the season is really about.

Harter66
12-18-2013, 12:41 PM
Mods if you think this should go to the pit feel free w/o notice.

Christmas.
After much reading I've reached some conclusions. Don't get all twisted,read it all and please don't chop this up to say what you think I meant or what you wanted me to mean(I divorced her thanks).

We have 3000yrs of actual written history ,over 5000 yr of pictorial stories that are open to considerable translation w/lots of spaces to fill in. What's the single most common thread ? I'll tell ya. It's that a single primary deity created everything,He's had a dozen names. He also gave his (often ill begotten) son to save us from ourselves ,whether that son is a teacher or a warrior ,the end of him is always the same. That son sacrificed himself so that we might be washed clean. Oh yes there are many themes but boiled down to bones that's what's left. The oldest Native American beliefs mirror those of the European cave clans and those of the Aboriginals and African tribes.

Me I'm not Jewish but I live by the Old Testament, it's an honorable way of life . Is it really my place to give the 1 true god a name, then kill because ''they'' don't agree w/that name? I believe there is a greater power beyond us. I believe that , that power gave us a guide to learn from and to live by those teachings. How do any of us really know cold hard facts know what that teachers name was when he walked among us, we don't . We believe we know his name and many believe that you or I are wrong. Maybe We all are,there is but 1 way to know and frankly while I am at peace w/my life I'm in no hurry to introduce myself .

To the point of this now. I've read plenty of posts and heard several people say ''it's a lie I won't pass on''. I gotta ask, what lie Santa ,Christ, Hercules ? The reason We celebrate is to celebrate the spirit of selfless giving and unconditional love not only to our family and those close to us but everywhere . Has it been commercialized. Yes . Is that not ok ? Probably. So long as 1 person gives 1 minute w/o a thought of return as long as 1 person is willing to sacrifice their time or even their life for another the spirit lives on. I give often, in the next couple of weeks as a matter of fact I will be driving some 3700 miles to dig a ditch and run a little bit of gas line for a member here. I don't do enough giving.

I for 1 will continue to tell the Christ ian story of selfless giving and I will pad it w/Santa because his story is 1 of a man that gives selflessly w/o any expected reward as well.

Merry Christ mas to 1 and all Happy Holidays to those that celebrate other days of selfless giving ,or just selfless gifts.

sparky45
12-18-2013, 12:48 PM
Very well thought out 66. Thank you for your interpretation.

Lively Boy
12-18-2013, 12:58 PM
interesting! I feel you are not off base with that thinking. I give because it feels right,not for what the return is(except it feels good). BUT i like to give year round...Merry Christmas to all