PDA

View Full Version : Should I use these bullets or remelt?

spur0701
11-25-2007, 12:15 PM
I'm a noob when it comes to caseting, have bought some equipment but haven't casted anything yet. While scrounging for some WW at a local scrap dealer (the price of which was .25 a pound, that a fair price these days?) the guy brought out 25 lbs of cast bullets he said someone had sold him as scrap.....he sold me those at .25 a lb too. They measure out at .308-.311 but don't look like they have been sized and are weighing out at about 173-177 g.....it's a conical with a flat nose, it looks sorta like a Lyman #311041. Should I size, lube, and use these or remelt? The size is varying a little but I'm assuming that's because they haven't been sized...and the weight is varing a few grains.

IcerUSA
11-25-2007, 12:23 PM
Go ahead and try a few , might be surprized and if they don't shoot good , make new ones with them . :)

Keith

montana_charlie
11-25-2007, 12:24 PM
Personally, I would melt 'em down.
Anything I cast which looked that poor would get remelted before they even cooled down.
CM

Three44s
11-25-2007, 12:32 PM
I would sort through them by size and appearance.

Try lubrisizing a few and even use LLA and lube again after the lubrisizer.

It never hurts to have a few easy plinkers around.

And then get casting on your WW's ..............

BTW, from what I have seen lately ............. $.25 a pound ain't bad shoppin'

Three 44s

Blackhawk Convertable
11-25-2007, 05:10 PM
If you want to get rid of some, I'd like to try them in my 30-30 Winchester for distance shooting. I can send you some ingots or cash to more than make up for the weight.

STP
11-25-2007, 06:23 PM
Cull them by inspection. Rounded driving bands and low weights by average would be the the easiest method. If 60% don`t meet that criteria, re-melt them.

testhop
11-25-2007, 08:08 PM
i say go ahead and try some if you dont you will always wonder what if
you can always mellt them

grumpy one
11-25-2007, 08:16 PM
Nobody's opinion but your own matters (Grump's Law).

They look like lousy bullets, possibly somebody's culls. Shooting lousy bullets can tell you something about the performance of lousy bullets, which may be worth knowing. However if they shoot badly, which is a pretty safe bet, you won't know whether it was you, the rifle, the load, or the bullets - and since the last of these has many faults, you won't know which one(s) actually mattered.

garandsrus
11-25-2007, 08:28 PM
spur0701,

I just wanted to comment that the boolits you have are a gas checked design so you can either load them under light loads without the checks or check them and bump up the speed.

John

montana_charlie
11-25-2007, 09:26 PM
They look like lousy bullets, possibly somebody's culls.
They may have been good-looking bullets at one time. But now they look like the beat-up kind that have been stored loose in a box, a coffee can, or a plastic bag.
CM

spur0701
11-26-2007, 03:44 PM
Nothing ventured, nothing gained. We'll I don't have a sizer for 308, have only bought what I need for doing .45 and 40S&W.....and haven't even done that yet....but guess I can pop for the sizer and some gas checks from Midway the next time I place an order. Does anyone recognize that design? Is it the Lyman one I sited or maybe something else? These were rolling around in a 5 gallon bucket.....but if they were culls from someone's casting then why didn't they remelt?