PDA

View Full Version : Handi Rifle - 223

MGySgt
11-25-2007, 07:25 AM
Anyone know the twist rate of these?

Also someone mentioned that they have a generious throat - Tehy weren't just whistleing Dixie. I loaded a dummy round with a 55gr FGCPSP just barely in the case and I mean just barely - dropped it in the chamber and it went in flush with no marks on it when it was extracted.

Thanks for the answer if any ones knows.

Drew

Lee W
11-25-2007, 07:33 AM
1-12.
Mine shoots OK. Not a tackdriver, but good enough.

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php?PHPSESSID=8bd3d0d7b546fe860391098e633699 44&topic=26264.0

MGySgt
11-25-2007, 01:08 PM
Thanks Lee - Mine wasn'tdoing too well with some 55gr PSP Nosler - Went to Hdy 50 SX's and seated them
WAY out - it is consistantly inch groups when I do my part.

James C. Snodgrass
11-25-2007, 01:21 PM
I swapped mine off but it wasn't to bad ,The thing I didnt like was the spring loaded extracter it wouldn't do the job about 25% of the time .I tryed about every wgt of bullet from 46 to 60 and setteled on a55gr hdy v-max over 26grs of benchmark in lake city brass,fed primer,It would get M>O>A> for about 30 rounds and would foul to the point groups would suffer.It was one the roughest barrelad rifes i've had but it cleaned pretty easy? Good luck&good shootin[smilie=1:

MGySgt
11-25-2007, 08:00 PM
James - I look at it this way -

The rifle was less then 300 (SS is a little more)
I can get it to MOA provided I do my part
It is realiviely cheep to shoot
It is a fun little gun to shoot

I really can not complain too much about a rough barrel. I did clean it thefirst few times with JB Bore paste and it seem to clean up easily.

I think I will keep it.

Drew

obssd1958
11-25-2007, 09:33 PM
I just got my frame back from H&R1871 a couple weeks ago, along with 2 new barrels. A 32" Buffalo Classic barrel in 45-70, and a standard .223 barrel. I called the customer service number right after they arrived to find out what the twist rate was supposed to be on each of the barrels and was told 1-20 for the 45-70, and 1-9 for the .223. I just went and checked the .223 after reading this thread - 1 in 9. I haven't shot either barrel yet, but hope to get to the range Wednesday or Thursday of this week. :Fire:

Don

crossfireoops
11-26-2007, 02:33 AM
The spring loaded "Maybe I'll extract / Maybe not" feature is a non starter, for me.

GTC

Buckshot
11-26-2007, 07:07 AM
The spring loaded "Maybe I'll extract / Maybe not" feature is a non starter, for me.

GTC

.............If it works sometimes and not others, then there is something that is casuing this variable issue. It very well could be some roughness or other minor issue one wouldn't find on a more expensive gun. I had a Handi-Rifle in 30-30 and the ejector was the LEAST of any problems as it was a danger to the shooter the way it launched empties when opened!:-)

Sounds like an opportunity to take something apart and investigate! I'd bought a brand new CZ 22RF Trainer and the bolt was stiff and sticky. The few times I tried operating it before closer inspection, it seemed like the bolt was getting scratched lengthwise.

Looking very closely I could see tiny flecks of steel it seemed to me. Sure enough, they were. And they'd get stuck between the bolt and the bridge and bind. Plus the edges of the action around the bolt hole had some little pigs ears or tag ends. All were easily removed with the application of some cratex abrasive. Inside the action in the bolt hole I used a few solvent soaked cotton swabs.

After that I oiled the bolt and it was smooth and slick. The more I use it the nicer it gets it seems.

.................Buckshot

OBXPilgrim
11-26-2007, 09:24 AM
They changed the twist rate on the .223 barrels and they changed the ejector to an extractor on all Handi rifles. If your barrel is an ejector, it's one of the older ones and could be either 1-12" twist or 1-9" twist. If it's an extractor (newer) barrel, then it's got a 1-9" twist.

The extractor was to be an improvement, most of the non-handloaders (I know, what were they thinking!!) are always looking for the ejector barrels.

Freightman
11-27-2007, 10:45 AM
Rimless cases were a problem in the ejector barrels if the case had a rim they had very few problems. The rimless cases were the reason they went with extractors only.