PDA

View Full Version : Commercial cast boolits for use in a 7.62x54r....need a little "guidance"

opos
12-17-2013, 05:35 PM
Hope this is in the right section. I had tried to get some info before and had a computer malfunction and lost a bunch of stuff so if a duplication...sorry.

I've got a couple of old Mosin Nagants that slug at about .312 and have good bores and are not counter bored...I've been loading .311 Jwords and they shoot fine with medium to warm loads...but I just want to do a little low recoil, cheaper plinking that my Wife and friends can enjoy...I don't cast and serious health issues preclude that or I'd be working that way...

Can anyone point me to a good commercial supplier of something I could load with a powder like 2400 or Unique or Trail Boss to get a good 50-100 yard plinker? Don't have any idea about casters except for Missouri and they don't have anything that looks like it would work...also what hardness or would it even make a difference in the old Mosin? I shoot Missouri cowboy boolits in my 45 Colt and 44 special and 38 special and they have a 12 hardness...shoot them nice and light.

Any help would be much appreciated..thanks
opos

mac60
12-17-2013, 10:33 PM
I assume they still make these. I've never used them in a Mosin (I've loaded them in 7.62x38R). They might serve your purpose - they are a little hard though.

MaryB
12-18-2013, 12:37 AM
I am using red dot behind a 160 grain cast bullet. 13 grains if my damaged memory is right(don't trust that Look it up, my notes are upstairs by the presses). Great lower recoil load