PDA

View Full Version : Military member on short fused orders

Springfield0612
12-17-2013, 02:45 PM
I've been expecting the call and finally got it. It happened sooner than we expected. The detailer called and I've got less than 45 days to uproot, pack up the family and move them from Kingston, WA to Norfolk, VA. All during the holiday season, and driving during the winter, what a great Christmas present! I'm stepping into a total $hat storm at my new command, and am expecting to prepare for a deployment almost immediately upon arrival.

We're looking at taking the northern route, WA, ID, MT, then drop down into the Dakotas, stop at MT. Rushmore, then head south to see my parents in CO (first time in over 3 years I'll be home), then head straight east to VA.

-We're buying our first home using the VA. We're in the process of securing the loan and house shoping over the internet and may end up buying a house almost blind, well sight unseen to us except pictures. I'm not sure if finances and time will allow me and the wife to fly out to look at houses before we arrive. I've got plenty of advice and resources all ready on where to buy and not to buy, good schools, and safe neighborhoods.

-I'm not letting the robbers (moving company) touch any of my casting/reloading stuff. So that is going into the car with all of my guns, ammo, and powder/primers as they won't ship any of the guns, ammo, or explosives anyway. The last time we moved they stole all of my hunting clothes, and some other misc items to cover up the fact that they targeted my hunting items. I got about $.05 on the dollar as a return for the theft.

-We've got Utah non-resident CWP so we're covered to carry in every state we'll be going through except CO and IL.

-Anyone know good public shooting areas within about 40 minutes of northern Virginia Beach?

-Good hunting opportunities?

-Fishing?

-Any other info, advice, or reccomendations?

square butte
12-17-2013, 03:34 PM
I know it won't ease the pain - but - Thanks very much for your service Sir.

OBIII
12-17-2013, 03:35 PM
Drive carefully and don't rush. PM arisaka99 (Chris) about shooting around the VA beach area. He's a local. Start a list now so when you take off, you haven't forgotten about something. While I consider this forum my home, I also peruse this website: http://www.mdshooters.com
This is a good forum as it has basically the same stats as this one, and comprises all the states right around DC...MD, VA, PA, WV, DC.
Same type of forum, but more into local politics, not as much casting/reloading advice. Probably a lot of members near and around Norfolk.
Thank you for your Service.

Semper Fi
OB

Firebricker
12-17-2013, 03:39 PM
No advise to offer but I will take this time to thank you for your service to our country and the sacrifices you and your family have to make in order for your service. And your trip probably will not put you through central Oh but if it does do not bother with hotel I would be happy to put you up a night. Drive safe enjoy your time at your parents and I will pray you are safe while deployed. FB

quilbilly
12-17-2013, 03:43 PM
As you drive across, if you pass through Nevada, Utah, and a couple other western states, no hunting license is required for coyotes and a few other varmint species.

1Shirt
12-17-2013, 03:49 PM
I feel your pain having been there! I returned from Nam, bought a house in Ne, and 10 months later got orders to report to new duty station in less than 3 weeks. Managed to sell the house, but took it in the shorts. Fortunately my daughter was only 3 years old, so school was not a problem, and the wife growing up as a military dependent rolled with the punches. Regardless, short notice assignments SUCK!
1Shirt!

Recluse
12-17-2013, 05:09 PM
Well, if you make it through north Texas--which you probably won't if Norfolk/Little Creek is your ultimate destination--holler at us and we'll do some BBQ. If you make it through Oklahoma or Kansas, lots of great members who will probably be happy to offer a weary warrior and his family a respite from the madness.

:coffee:

w5pv
12-17-2013, 05:34 PM
Thanks for your service,Been to NorFork/Little Creek for amphib training the weather too rough both times.Merry Christmas.

dbosman
12-17-2013, 06:16 PM
Keep the guns and ammo in your closed trunk and keep the trunk locked.
Do not open it in any state if you are not positive it's legal to have your guns or ammo in your possession during transport.
Best not to open it at all until you get to your new home state.

Best wishes, good traveling, and have a safe trip. Please.

wcp4570
12-17-2013, 06:43 PM
It's never easy to move in the military, I spent 20 years of my life with Uncle Sam and speak from experience. I moved just a few days before Christmas 1982 and like you all my guns, powder, primers, lead, Christmas gifts and other essentials went with us. Every night on the road all important things went into the hotel room with us. I had another military buddy that didn't do that and got cleaned out one night.

I wish you safe travels without any mishaps.

wcp

saphelps
12-17-2013, 08:46 PM
Don't worry about Colorado. You may conceal in the car and open carry outside. Exception is Denver and Denver County. Don't OC there. From what I undestand, Illinois is just a PITA.

Congrats on your PCS. Son got his orders from 29 Stumps to Camp Pen, and he has yet to get back from his deployment. He wanted MD, still stuck in CA.

LynC2
12-17-2013, 08:58 PM
Be careful on your trip as there is an excellent chance of encountering some dangerous driving conditions and God speed!

bruce drake
12-17-2013, 09:27 PM
You driving through Indiana on I70, send me a PM or call me at 315-955-4472. I can put you and your family up in Indianapolis and it would be a 12 hour drive to the Norfolk area from here.
I was assigned to Aberdeen Proving Grounds in MD for a few years a while back before I retired and I can tell you to stay on the VA side of the Chesapeake. MD has pretty restrictive firearms laws and only recognize their own CCW a lot of the time until the PD get told to read the regs.

That said, you've got some great ranges near the Norfolk area when you aren't out on a boat. The Marines have restarted rifle matches at Quantico as well as the Navy running their own shooting programs at Little Creek. With your moniker, I assume you enjoy shooting classic rifles but there are a lot of IDPA and IPSC pistol matches in the region as well.

Bruce

BCgunworks
12-17-2013, 09:39 PM
Good schools in the area. I don't know which station you'll be at but york co and williamsburg both have great schools. You'll be close to the chesapeake bay for fishing and a half dozen rivers.
Plenty of hunting land.
I am in mathews about 45min north of the area you will be in. I worked at the shipyard in newport news for a good bit.
Any questions just email me. Bcgunworks@verizon.net

PS Paul
12-17-2013, 10:18 PM
Didn't know there were any other fellas from North Kitsap. I live ten miles south of you and shoot at Poulsbo.

Have a safe trip back east, Springfield.

Blacksmith
12-17-2013, 10:45 PM
+1 on the MDShooters web site and the forum they have a VA section and information on all surrounding states. Do not drive through any part of Washington DC with any firearms or ammunition, even empty shell cases, also Maryland gun laws got a lot worse in October of this year. Virginia has pretty good gun laws and you will probably be able to carry but not in DC or MD.

Springfield0612
12-17-2013, 11:11 PM
Thanks everyone! You guys rock!

bruce drake, that is just plane awesome! I'll run it through my trip planner and we'll see where it puts us.

wcp4570, thanks for the advice. I may need to invest in a couple multi-gun cases to make the trips easier in and out of the hotel rooms.

recluse, thanks for the offer. I'd love to make it to TX. I have a really good friend stationed down there. I'd love to get some of that TX BBQ!

BCgunworks, I'll get a hold of you definitely.

I had another member rr2241tx, that sent me a PM. Thank you for your advice!

To those who thanked me for my service, Thank you for your support. On those hard days where us military members find ourselves questioning why we put ourselves through the whole military life we think back and remember those who stopped us at the air port, or at a restaurant, or even those of you here who just say thank you. It means the world to us. It reminds us that our service is selfless, we don't do it for ourselves. We do it for our family, for our community, for our countrymen, and for our country. Thank you for your support!

oscarflytyer
12-17-2013, 11:40 PM
Feel your pain. Lost things on every move, except where I packed them myself (coming out of Germany). Take pictures and don't let the thieves put ANYTHING in an box or pack it until you have pix and a full inventory! And let them KNOW you are taking pics - hell, take some while they are there! Even them physically putting things into the boxes! They will get the message!

I did get lucky once - truck driver was a shooter. He put all the wife's plants in the truck - and they made it! And when he got there, he dug under his seat and pulled out all my gun powder! I was astounded. I had told the wife to ask - and he did me a favor and took it with him! Best thing that ever happened to me on a move!

Va Beach is a cool place. Never stationed there, but visited. Used to go down from Ft Lee. There is a nice big lake complex to fish near Williamsburg, iirc, but not too sure how close to VaB. If you are a fly fisher, make a trip to the Shenandoah Valley and Murray's Fly Shop. That one is on my bucket list. Also look at Oregon Inlet in NC. Some awesome salt fishing and beach camping there. used to go out a lot when I was in college.

Take care and be dang careful driving thru the west and the weather and snow!

MaryB
12-18-2013, 12:30 AM
Watch the weather taking that northern route, if it says it is going to snow hard I would hold back until it passes. You do not want to get caught on the road in a Dakota snowstorm.

Menner
12-18-2013, 12:43 AM
Spent 3 yrs in Norfolk in the early 80's ( USS IOWA BB61 Main Battery 16" 50 dose that count as a Boolit ) my oldest Son lives in Suffolk in the Coast Guard seems to be a good area he has two daughters and they seem to have good schools in that area. I live couple hours north in Delaware and fish within a hour of the bridge tunnel ( great fishing around the tunnel ) My Youngest Son is stationed at Fort Bliss Just deployed Friday arrived Afghanistan Today (Mom Not In Good Mood) 1st Armored if thats were your headed and run into any of those guys just ask for the one from De. Good Luck in your travel. And Thank You For Your Service. Fair Winds and Following Seas

bruce drake
12-18-2013, 03:00 AM
Just give us the word when you are driving through. Call me with the total # of your family and I'll make sure you guys are covered down for the evening.

Also keep a strong eye out on the passes through the Rockies. Coming back from JBLM once during a PCS back east in the 90's I got snowed in for 3 days in Missoula MT on I90. It really screwed up my travel plans.

Bruce

DRNurse1
12-18-2013, 03:47 AM
Lots of great advice above and not much here. First, Thank you and YOUR FAMILY for your service. I have carried my own ammunition and firearms in all of my moves so I have no horror stories and a couple of interesting traffic stops (Indiana SP bought lunch and invited some friends to chat about traveling safely with firearms and our mutual competitive experience). I echo the keeping careful records advice, and digital photos are REALLY inexpensive compared to the aggravation when you find something is missing. My BiL does the OTR trucking thing an agrees with the rocky mountain and northern route advice. He said keep a weather eye out (darn, I am a sailor so I should have thought of that) and adds his 'Semper Fi' and some guttural sounds to your travels. National Matches are in Camp Perry, OH if this interests you and you are a whole lot closer in Virginia Beach than the state of Washington! Fair winds and following seas, good sir.

Rangefinder
12-18-2013, 04:28 AM
Man, if you're taking a northern route this time of year, you're a brave man. I'd suggest taking I15 south from MT through ID and UT, then across. You can track south a bit from there through CO, OK, MO, and then make your way back up a little as the eastern grid turns into a nightmare. Better time, safer driving, warmer weather, and if you happen to cross Pagosa Springs CO on the way, I got you covered for a night or three. Northern route? The Bad Lands are called that for a reason. ;)

RKJ
12-18-2013, 04:31 AM
If you can stand the drive and traffic problems going over/through the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel, live in the Hampton/NN area. Nicer areas (in my opinion) and less squid related problems. We lived in VA Bch then Hampton and NN. You couldn't pay me to live in Va Bch again. Despite all the scuttlebutt about the area (Norfolk/Hampton Roads) we loved it. There's a lot of history in the area. Good luck with move and the new command.

(I hope I don't sound too negative but once we moved to the Peninsula we found much to do on that side of the bridge and very seldom got over to Va Bch, we felt more like we belonged instead of being transient).

Slow Elk 45/70
12-18-2013, 05:03 AM
Semper FI Sir , keep your head down and watch your 6

Lloyd Smale
12-18-2013, 06:58 AM
ill second this and if you ever through nothern MI you have a place to stay!

472x1B/A
12-18-2013, 08:31 AM
Wow,just think what it would have been like if the covered wagon trains would of had this much logistics information? Things would be quit different today I think.

Springfield0612, I thank you and your family for your service. You must of ticked someone off to recieve a PCS from one coast to the other, this time of the year. I hope you and your family have a safe and memorable trip. A very wise decision on taking your equipment with you. I had a revolver stollen out of my bagage once, long story. Your family/ friends here have given great info, but I'm going to side with Rangefinder this time. But for Ill. info; fill up your gas tank, eat, sleep, bathroom break, etc., etc., all in MO.. Try your best NOT to stop in Ill. if possible. It's not that we don't want any of your money, but what you will have with you. Wink, Wink. Thank you again and have a safe trip. If your plans change and you will be on I-74 through ILL. please P M me.

Wayne Smith
12-18-2013, 08:58 AM
PM me. I've been in Virginia Beach 20 years. Good schools here, many good churches, outdoor shooting range south almost to the NC border. Some nice areas and some to avoid. Will you be stationed at Norfolk Naval Base or one of the others? Chris (Arisaka99) is 19 and can't answer most of your questions, but could probably answer some I can't! He's a good friend.

cbrick
12-18-2013, 10:59 AM
December/January on the northern route? Wow. Heed weather forecasts & don't take chances.

You are 100% correct about not trusting moving companies. Had a guy from a cross country moving company tell me that he really couldn't see what the big deal was, if sees something that he likes it's his right to take it, it's his tip. Almost two years ago when I moved 2/3 of the way across and was looking for a moving company and kept thinking of his attitude I rented a truck, packed it my self and drove myself.

Thanks for your service, it is appreciated much more than you could know. Keep us informed on the trip & again, don't take chances with the weather. Stay safe.

Rick

5 RING
12-18-2013, 01:01 PM
Not laughing at you, but i know the feeling on being raw dawged by a 155mm bore brush. Drive care, make good use of your time here in the states and keep your head on a swivel over there.
Good luck, happy hunting , God speed and a safe return.

Dark Helmet
12-18-2013, 11:58 PM
Don't rule out a commute from just across the border in NC, real estate is cheaper, among other things.

uscra112
12-19-2013, 06:07 AM
I do the run from central Ohio to Idaho and back occasionally. Even in summer I like to use I-70 east of Kansas City. Southern Illinois is a lot more reasonable, and you are only in it for a short stretch. Chicago area can be a nightmare on several levels. If you do run the northern route, use I-39 down to Bloomington to I-74, and east to I-70 at Indianapolis. That keeps you in rural Illinois and away from the trouble spots.

jonp
12-19-2013, 09:16 AM
Thank you for your service. I am one of the former military, seems like a lot of us on this site, and a truck driver and have driven all through the NW and the route you are taking in the winter many times. The advice you have been given is good. Watch the weather reports and don't be brave about it. The passes can get interesting in the winter on a minutes notice it seems. On the plus side the northern states sure know how to move snow especially the mid-west however I have been shut down more than once in MN and WI due to impassible roads.
I deliver to Suffolk/Norfolk/Va Beach and also to a place in NC just across the VA line on 168 just south of Tulls Creek. I would go south of Norfolk if it was my choice as the traffic off 64 towards Richmond is monumental at all times it seems and the traffic jam getting into Norfolk in the morning is getting quite bad on 64/264.

MaryB
12-19-2013, 10:40 PM
I live in SW MN, it isn't the amount of snow we get, 3 inches can turn into a full on ground blizzard if 45mph winds come in behind it. 3 inches piles into 6 foot drifts then

MtGun44
12-19-2013, 11:53 PM
First, off - Thank you for your service. I have lived in and around Norfolk off and on
since about 1957, and had relatives there when I moved away, so have visited
regularly. Not a bad town at all. Hope you like blue crabs! Very much a Navy
area.

Northern route this time of year is not a smart move, to be blunt. Best wishes, but you
will be FAR safer to head south. I have driven well over a million miles over the last 45 years in all
the states, and you will be pushing your luck. Strongly recommend you get south on the
west coast, say to Vegas at least and then come across the southern tier. Even coming thru
Denver and KC can be iffy. West of Denver can be pretty tough with a storm, and even
across KS we get several times a year that I-70 is shut down due to blizzards. Once
east of KC, it isn't too bad until you get into WVA. The most challenging on that route (which I have
driven at least a hundred times) is crossing the mtns in WVA. It can be no sweat and then suddenly be
a real challenge, even now with the HUGE improvement of the interstate. The WVA turnpike
is not a fun place in bad weather. I have done Rt 60 in WVA many times in snow and it is a serious thrill.
The turnpike is better, but not a lot. I have flown this in light planes and driven it many
times since the middle 1970s.

I'd suggest Oklahoma City, then Atlanta, and work up thru South Carolina. Minimizes the
mountains and much warmer weather and lower elevations all the way. Once you are
in the tidewater (east of the mtns) you can swing north with little problem. People don't
respect the Blue Ridge as much as they should, as far as weather makers. Much better now
than 40 yrs ago, but still can be a challenge if you get a storm. The Rockies north of ABQ
can be pretty interesting this time of year, too. If you get good weather, no sweat but
on a run that long - your odds of finding something "interesting" weatherwise increase
a lot.

I'm not kidding. What vehicle? Chains on board? Trailer?

I love the northern tier states, but they should be visited in the summer unless you live
there. Another benefit is you can avoid Illinois entirely and their anti-gun Nazis.

Bill

Springfield0612
12-31-2013, 06:34 PM
Thanks everyone. Just a quick update. I've talked the wife into taking a southern route. I'm selling my 19.5' Glassply boost and we've bought a 25' travel trailer camper. No hotels for us! Were flying to VA next week for 3 days to look at houses. Were also doing the DITY now called a PPM do it yourself move. Now that we have the camper I can put my gun cabinet in there and lock it up and not have to worry about hotels and the such. Were pure approved for a home loan and should have final approval this week. Everything I'd working out so far. Just wish that accident would have never happened.

troyboy
12-31-2013, 07:40 PM
Va gun trader is the website you will want to join. Traffic here is unreal and the rain seems to never stop. Good luck. Thanks for your service

Victor N TN
01-01-2014, 01:14 AM
Be careful. Thank you for your service.

catmandu
01-01-2014, 09:15 AM
Good luck on the move. I did the reverse move in 1980 Norfolk to Whidbey Is. Had passes close behind us as we drove thru. DITY move always worked out for us. Sounds like you have thought about it and are making good choices. On the move back I lost a cedar strip canoe off the moving van to a Tornado. It was real exciting when it lifted the front wheels of the 24 ft moving van off the ground. Said a few prayers PDQ that time. Take care of the family and it will work out.
Godspeed and thank you for your service.

Paul in WNY

Wayne Smith
01-01-2014, 12:52 PM
If you are looking for a house in Virginia Beach and care about schools stay away from Bayside area and Green Run area. Neither of them are recommended. Kempsville, Tallwood, Cox, and most of the rest are good areas. When we moved here my wife, a geologist, said she had one condition for buying a house here. It had to be at least 20ft above mean sea level! I got the USGS 7.5 map and we bought in College Park - 23ft above mean sea level.

Springfield0612
01-01-2014, 04:01 PM
With all the craziness of the car accident I missed a very important email! On 30 December we got approved for our home loan. The same day we bought our travel trailer. We started packing yesterday and it seems everything is falling into place. We looked at the mapquest this morning and looks like we will head south out of WA, OR, ID, Drop down into Salt Lake City, head due south to see the Grand Canyon, then head east northeast to see my Family in Greeley, CO. From there we'll head due east as planned before out through Nebraska, and over. So we'll skirt along the edges of the Rockies through UT and go down and around, back up through CO. We'll miss all the desert driving through NV and dragging the camper up and over the big mountain passes in CO to not beat up the Yukon Denali too much on the towing.

bruce drake
01-01-2014, 06:31 PM
Sounds like you will be moving through to VA outside of the I70 Corridor. I wish you and your family all the pleasures of a safe trip while you go through our Southern States.

Bruce

MtGun44
01-01-2014, 07:36 PM
Good luck, hope the weather holds for you.

Billl

LeftyDon
01-02-2014, 08:41 AM
Thanks for your service. I did a few cross country moves back when I was in the Navy about 40 years ago. Spent the last 3.5 years in Newport News & Portsmouth, VA. Say safe.

Springfield0612
02-20-2014, 05:08 PM
All right everyone! I'm back on the map!

We made our move and arrived safe and sound.

We left WA headed down through OR and ID, then through UT. Stopped at the Grand Canyon National Park. Arizona to New Mexico. Once in New Mexico we decided not to head north to Colorado to visit my parents as there was an incoming ice storm that was supposed to blow through Kansas the days we were supposed to head through there. So we stayed south and took I-40 east through TX, OK, AR, TN, then up into VA.

WA, OR, ID, UT we had snow but nothing really that stuck or slowed us down. The rest of the way we stayed ahead of the weather, the only time we got snow that stuck was the day we pulled into VA Beach.

We closed on our house 2 days before we arrived, our realtor is AMAZING!

All my reloading and casting stuff is still in boxes and Not sure when it will see the light of day, but hopefully soon!

cbrick
02-20-2014, 05:20 PM
Drove right past several members here in Arkansas. Probably could have waived at Goodsteel's place from the freeway, there's sgtmike, winelover, my self & a few others.

Glad the trip went well for you, winter travel can be nerve wracking.

Rick

DLCTEX
02-21-2014, 01:30 AM
You passed 16 miles south of me when you came through Texas. Sorry I missed you. Thank you and your family for your service.