PDA

View Full Version : use caution with vibrating tumbler and acetone!

TheDoctor
12-17-2013, 02:20 PM
no, didn't burn the house down, but my tumbler has a clear lid, and the acetone ATE IT! Was experimenting with a modified RF method, tried acetone and HF red. First time, had unbelieveable results. Prettiest coating I have seen. Went to bed excited, finally found the magic way of doing this. Spent the entire next day trying to duplicate my results, with utter failure. Have been trying dry tumbling with the vibration type, inconsistant results, some good, some have to get recast. Thus morning in a fit of disgust, threw some boolits and powder in a plastic jar, and rolled em by hand. On my third small batch right now, and the results are my best yet. Might just stick with this for a while.

Cane_man
12-17-2013, 03:48 PM
are the successes and failures all with the same PC, or you using different types of PC as well? (are some colors better than others)

sorry about the acetone, i leaned my lessons on acetone and plastic as well a long time ago :)

TheDoctor
12-17-2013, 06:13 PM
Have been using HF red. Tried HF black doing the piglett method, but I need a better way to mix it than what I was doing.

bangerjim
12-17-2013, 06:18 PM
Well........there is always the correct way! ES gun!

heeeee.........heeeeee

Works 110% every time.

banger

VHoward
12-17-2013, 07:28 PM
Good grief. Sorry you took it the wrong way.

TheDoctor
12-18-2013, 12:12 PM
Why struggle to avoid spending 50 bucks indeed. You know, some people do not have a living or space situation where they can use a powder gun. Some may not want to. Me, I like trying to figure different ways of doing something. Why bother learning how to make your own lube, when there are commercial ones available? Why bother casting your own bullets when you can buy already pre lubed ones? Why bother loading when you can buy factory ammo? Why bother hunting when you can buy meat? Why bother with self defense when you can call the police? I just love how some people have to interject their "I'm right" opinions, regardless of the situation or circumstance. So thank you very very much for just blatantly calling me a cheapskate when you know absolutely nothing at all about me, my situation, or motives. Maybe I am under the mistaken impression that this board is for sharing ideas, experiences, and results.

duhbob
12-18-2013, 10:04 PM
Thanks Doctor, for sharing. Your "Why Bother" tirade was spot-on. You have soothed my raw nerve endings for the moment.
Now for experiences and results:
Try 4 parts acetone, 1 part white gloss HF pc, 1/4 part matte black HF pc. It gives a glossyish battleship gray coating that evenly coats ONCE.
I've shot 400 plus rounds of 45 (Lee TL 200gr.) with very pleasing results...no leading at all, no smoke, no weird-colored attention-getting ammo.
Since the timing and applying are still an art form, I can't say how long or how vigorously to tumble them, but I have found FAST beats slow. Tumble just long enough to wet every bullet and pour and bake.