PDA

View Full Version : Win 95 in 30-40 krag

Frank46
11-24-2007, 11:47 PM
Bought this carbine or SRC awhile ago. And had a redfield rear sight laying around. Buckshot graciously agreed to mill the sight base flat like on a lyman 66 sight for lever actions. He went above and beyond the call as I received it today and with a couple machinist's clamps to try it out and so far it appears that it will work out great. Buckshot thanks to you and your friend Glenn for doing this for me. Will be able to get the old girl up and running soon. Thanks again, Frank

scrapcan
11-25-2007, 12:25 AM
Glad to hear your are on your way with the old girl. Will you post some pictures of the sight. I have been helping a friend with a win 95 in 30-40 since last spring and he would like to put an aperture sight on his. We have been looking at the original and reproduction sights but all seem to be far out of his league when cost is considered.

Also on yours make sure you slug the throat and barrel. The one I am helping with slugs at .310 to .311. It shoots 311 jacketed really well. we are still working on a cast load to shoot similar.

Char-Gar
11-25-2007, 09:24 AM
I have a very good 1899 vintage Winchester 95 in 30 US. It also has a groove diamter of .311.

I also have a Brownchester 1895 in 30-40 and it is a cast bullet wonder.

Nueces
11-25-2007, 04:00 PM
I have a couple of the 'Brownchesters' ( :-D ) also and have thought about making a base for the top of the bolt to accept an old Sako dual-range rear peep sight. It would look just like the early "Little Giant" sight and would be takable off with a turn of the thumb screw.

I like originality, even in repro guns, but that includes what a savvy shooter of the thirties might have done to tune up a favorite firearm. One example is a pre-war Colt SAA with a King Super Target rib sight installed. Most certainly not factory original but way cool anyway.

Mark

Frank46
11-26-2007, 01:47 AM
Glad to hear your are on your way with the old girl. Will you post some pictures of the sight. I have been helping a friend with a win 95 in 30-40 since last spring and he would like to put an aperture sight on his. We have been looking at the original and reproduction sights but all seem to be far out of his league when cost is considered.

Also on yours make sure you slug the throat and barrel. The one I am helping with slugs at .310 to .311. It shoots 311 jacketed really well. we are still working on a cast load to shoot similar.

This SRC has a silver blade front sight installed and someone in its previous life had used a small nail and peened it into the sight base. I got lucky at a local gunshow and there was a dealer who had a '95 SRC on 30-06. Still had the origional rear sight and front sight blade. So at least I know what one should look like. There is some visible wear in the throat and as yet haven't slugged the bbl. I'm thinking that I just might be able to use the lyman #314299 as its a good fit at the muzzle. The redfield is an all steel sight origionally bought on ebay and advertised as correct for the P14 or 1917 enfield. I don't have a camera capable of taking digital pics. Besides if I did probably couldn't figgure out how to operate it anyway. Gotta dig out the box of krag brass and get to work. Frank