PDA

View Full Version : Pipe Smokers?

NoZombies
12-17-2013, 06:47 AM
Planning for a Christmas trip to the frozen north to see some family, I spent a few minutes today deciding on what the pipe rotation will be for the trip. In no particular order, here's what I came up with:

I've enjoyed This Savinelli 'Root Capri' consistently for the last 7 or 8 years that I've had it, the shape is a classic Dublin:

For the last 3 or 4 years, I've smoked this Brebbia 9411 half bent calabash more regularly than any of the rest of my briar pipes, it has really become one of my all time favorites. And it's no wonder, as it's an excellent smoking pipe, and is beautiful to boot:

I like to keep at least one Meerschaum pipe in any rotation in case I decide to try a new tobacco or find the desire to smoke more than once in a day. Meerschaum doesn't need rest the same way that briar does. For this trip, this unmarked bulldog will do the trick:

A few years ago, I made a purchase of a small lot of estate pipes, and among a number of broken and poor quality pipes was this Savinelli 'deluxe'. It's a poker style, and smokes very well:

Whoever made this Plateaux freehand pipe wasn't proud enough of it to mark it. It's a shame too, because in spite of the very minor cosmetic flaws that no doubt made it a 'second' It's a very pleasant smoking pipe:

This Bari Plateaux freehand pipe may be one of the most attractive pipes I own. The previous owner smoked it extensively enough to bit a small hole in the stem:

I recently found this Sahin 'Extra' half bent billiard at a flea market for $5, and I decided to buy it. It's an attractive pipe of recent manufacture in Turkey. I'm brigning it along in the hopes of continuing to break it in:

I like to let my briar pipes rest for about a week before re-smoking, so I like to have at least a half a dozen in any planned rotation, as well as at least one Meerschaum. For this trip, I'll be smoking various english and aromatic tobaccos.

What are you guys smoking now, or planning to smoke over Christmas?

Wayne Smith
12-17-2013, 08:49 AM
Don't any more. I gave all my pipes to my wife as a wedding present. That was over 38 years ago. When I smoked it was all crooks, several briars and a hollow cast clay. Couldn't afford meerschaum at that age. I had my own blend that a store made up for me.

jonp
12-17-2013, 09:12 AM
My father smoked a pipe for years. I have a question on this, though. Why do you rotate pipes and not just use one?

s mac
12-17-2013, 09:57 AM
I'm jealous, I have a few decent pipes, enjoy using them, but don't have nearly as nice a collection. I smoke a local blend that is quite nice.

jcwit
12-17-2013, 10:07 AM
I gave up/quit smoking 12/13 years ago, due to the Dr. treating me for leukemia, I was informed that if I wished treatment to quit or find another Dr. I quit and have been in remission for 12 years now.

With that all said, the one thing I still miss is the taste of my pipe. I still have them but have not used any of them since.

376Steyr
12-17-2013, 10:19 AM
I keep my favorite full bent briar in my truck. I've smoked it on and off since 1988. I'll have a bowl at lunchtime, another one on the drive home. In the evening I have a selection of briars and a couple of meerschaums that I rotate. If you gotta have a filthy, disgusting, un-healthly habit, its a pretty good one to have.

jmort
12-17-2013, 10:22 AM
Nice collection. I agree that the Bari Plateaux freehand pipe is a beauty.

s mac
12-17-2013, 10:27 AM
If someone has a pipe that needs a good home pm me, be glad to pay the shipping.

EMC45
12-17-2013, 11:37 AM
Nice collection NZ. I have a handful of pipes I rotate. Usually sit on the porch when I get home and fire up and enjoy one while talking to the wife.

beagle
12-17-2013, 11:48 AM
I enjoy my pipes too. Have a few (nothing too expensive...well a couple are)and always rotate with the holder here in the kitchen. Have a few that are "farm" pipes in case I lose them. Smoke a local blend as well. I steer clear of most of the aromatic tobaccos.

To answer an earlier question. You have to rotate to keep them free of moisture. They don't smoke well if there's any moisture in the stems. Frequent cleaning is necessary as well and I like a little buildup in the bowl as well.

My favorite pipe is a briar. If you're active, meerschaum is too breakable. Works all right on the front porch or by the fire and is a good smoke but if you're at the range, it will get busted.

Enjoy my pipes./beagle

RayinNH
12-17-2013, 12:19 PM
Those are really nice pipes. I gave up smoking 31 years ago when my wife became pregnant for our first son. Now the 30 year old son smokes a pipe, go figure. I do miss it and if I make it to 80 I may pick it back up again. I've put some of my pipes back in my mouth and they no longer fit my tooth pattern, I'll need new stems.

My favorite pipe was a bent bulldog. I also have a number of meerschaums as well. I used to order them in the 70's direct from Hayim Pinhas, the carver, in Istanbul Turkey. They were real cheap. The most I paid was $45.00 for an 18" floral carved pipe. Round bowls and bulldogs were around $15 a piece. If you do a search his name pops up everywhere...Ray

454PB
12-17-2013, 12:40 PM
I've been a pipe smoker for 45 years. While I own about 100, there are only 10 or so in my normal rotation, and none of them cost over $30. Those are some pretty pipes, but I lean more towards practical.

AlaskanGuy
12-17-2013, 12:42 PM
Wow..... Glad to see this thread....

My grandfather was a pipe smoker... When he died many many years ago, he left me his pipes, and his tobacco container. i keep the humidifier full.. My grandfather was a classical music violist and traveled the world...he collected many pipes....90797

Every year, on his birthday, i take a tiny pinch of his tobacco and select one of his pipes, and lite it in his honor... He was a great man, and made a difference in my life. The smell is wonderful and never fails to bring back wonderful memories of his playing, and our many many card games that we enjoyed... He loved jin rummy...lol

Ag

shooter2
12-17-2013, 12:51 PM
You really have some beauties there. I lean to the Brebbia 9411 as my favorite of the lot, though they all look great.

I have about 20 or 25 in my collection. I lean to Savinelli's with balsa filters for smoking. I still get the flavor, but no bite, no ash or tobacco, and no gurgle.

I have one Peterson, one Stanwell, and one James Upshall that I like and a couple others of no particular note.

I have only one Meerschaum, but I no longer smoke it as it is hand carved with a real amber stem and I am afraid I will drop it and break it. It's kept in a glass case.

Alas, I have no Dunhill pipes.

Last, but not least, I have one corncob that smokes pretty well. My granddad would smoke nothing else so I had to have at least one.

Now, what do you all like for tobacco? I like Frog Morton, 1Q and Prince Albert in no particular order. I have some Three Friars, but it is NOT Three nuns so it tends to sit in the jar.

snowwolfe
12-17-2013, 12:52 PM
Used to smoke a pipe and really enjoyed it but quit all tobacco products about 35 years ago. Seems like the world is going full circle on what you can smoke.
Here is Colorado they will be selling your favorite cannabis over the counter in just two weeks to anyone 21 or older.

My current thinking is when I hit 70 I will start smoking again. By the time it affects my health I most likely would die from something else anyhow:)

savagetactical
12-17-2013, 12:56 PM
I used to smoke a pipe from time to time when not smoking cigarettes. It was a very enjoyable pastime, had it been the only form of smoking for me, I most likely would still be doing it. There is something about a pipe that always made me want a nice bourbon. For that matter pipes, Filson hats and a good old side by side seem to go together for me.

Makes me wish I had a nice briar and some good blended tobacco now.

AlaskanGuy
12-17-2013, 01:05 PM
I have about 30 or so.... Lot of Barling, and Sasieni... They all have a number stamped on them... They sure are beautiful. Wish i knew more about them.... Is there a database or collector site somewhere where i could plug in the numbers and learn about them???

AG

klausg
12-17-2013, 03:20 PM
NZ-
I really like your meerschaum bulldog, exactly what I was looking for about 10 years back; I found a bent one that grew on me. My collection is around 20, mostly Peterson's & I smoke a local blend, (mostly Cavendish).

-Klaus

shooter93
12-17-2013, 07:31 PM
I only use Meeschaums anymore and I probably should quit....but I love a pipe...period. I get tobacco online so I can try different ones.

Taylor
12-17-2013, 08:22 PM
I have a couple of Peterson's,a Bjorn and a baby Wellington.Local mix called Meade Hall.They are relaxing,while reading or prepping brass or maybe a good beer or bourbon.But I'm still looking for that one pipe,I'll know it when I see it.

olereb
12-17-2013, 08:31 PM
I have a bunch of Savinelli pipes along with some Peterson's that I rotate at home,in my work van I have corncobs that I rotate when driving during the day,the corncobs smoke great for a $5 pipe and are from Missouri. Right now I have some Dunhill Nightcap and a few blends from Outwest Tobacco that i'm trying,i get a lot from Outwest,they are great people to do business with.

EMC45
12-17-2013, 08:53 PM
Just For Him, Pipes and Cigars.com, and 4 Noggins are some good resources for pipes and tobacco. Right now I am smoking some 1776 Bostonian in a little basket briar from a local shop. I actually think it is a pear wood pipe to be honest.

paul h
12-17-2013, 09:11 PM
Wow, fond memories. I never got a collection of pipes, just have one briar pipe I bought over 20 years ago. A friend and I built a race car together and after working all day on the car around 9 or 10 at night we'd bust out the pipes and start theorizing about steering angles or gear boxes or some sort of bench racing that just seemed to make more sense when puffing on a pipe.

I still have the pipe, it's cracked and has a couple wraps of ss safety wire around it. Probably been over 10 years since I've used it.

Wag
12-17-2013, 09:31 PM
I've been smoking cigars now for fifteen years, give or take a couple. Toyed around with pipe smoking off and on but finally, the wiff bought me a nice pipe for my birthday in October and it's been a real pleasure, trying out some of the blends available. I have no idea what kind of pipe this is but it's enjoyable!

The guy who taught me about cigars all those years ago when I got started is a professional pipe maker but I could never afford one of his pipes. His name is Brad Pohlman and is a craftsman beyond compare when it comes to making pipes. One of these days, if I get into it.

--Wag--

NoZombies
12-18-2013, 12:32 AM
My father smoked a pipe for years. I have a question on this, though. Why do you rotate pipes and not just use one?

As was mentioned, the moisture is the issue. The longer the pipe has to rest, the better it usually smokes (within reason anyways).

You guys should post pictures of your pipes!

I really like a lot of my pipes, but all of the nice ones are estate pipes, and didn't cost me too much.

TreeKiller
12-18-2013, 01:25 AM
If you want to try blending your own tobacco try some from here:

http://wholeleaftobacco.com/

All leaf is with stem so is an AG product. They have cigar leaf also if you want to try rolling your own.

Taylor3006
12-18-2013, 03:56 AM
I have a bunch of Savinelli pipes along with some Peterson's that I rotate at home,in my work van I have corncobs that I rotate when driving during the day,the corncobs smoke great for a $5 pipe and are from Missouri. Right now I have some Dunhill Nightcap and a few blends from Outwest Tobacco that i'm trying,i get a lot from Outwest,they are great people to do business with.

The nice thing about Missouri Meerscham cob pipes is they are 100% US made, even the plastic stems. I have many pipes but really enjoy my corn cobs made by American workers with American materials. It dosen't hurt that they smoke really well too!

olereb
12-18-2013, 10:55 AM
The nice thing about Missouri Meerscham cob pipes is they are 100% US made, even the plastic stems. I have many pipes but really enjoy my corn cobs made by American workers with American materials. It dosen't hurt that they smoke really well too!

I honestly bought my first one figuring they would be garbage like every other Corncob I have tried but after smoking my first MM pipe I bought 5 more to keep in the rotation,its also nice that they are so cheap you don't care so much if you lose it or break it.

Garyshome
12-18-2013, 10:59 AM
I used to use a cheap one to smoke pot a loooooong time ago!

jmort
12-18-2013, 11:22 AM
Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cob Pipes work well for the money. No break-in and cool smoking As noted, it is a great American company with a great history:

"... MacArthur Natural pipe was made famous by General Douglas MacArthur. It was made to his specifications here at our factory in Washington, Missouri. We still make it as he liked it, even down to the cinged ring around the stem."

I like Made In The USA Companies which have been in business for over 100 years.

shooter2
12-18-2013, 11:42 AM
Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cob Pipes work well for the money. No break-in and cool smoking.

I agree. They (MM's) run around five or six bucks at my local pipe shop and are well worth it.

I would post some pics if I can ever figure out how to do that. However, I really have nothing that looks great, but they smoke OK which is what I really care about. In fact, I think I will go light one up and think good thoughts.

reloader28
12-18-2013, 11:52 AM
I dont smoke a pipe, but I have thought about it because I LOVE the smell.
I remember as a kid my grandpa smoked one. One of those memories that you'll never forget.

I had no idea they were a higher maintanance item. So you cant smoke them more than once a day and resting for several days is better?
I would think that you just puff like a cigar and not inhale like a cigarette, eh?

jakec
12-18-2013, 12:02 PM
Wow..... Glad to see this thread....

My grandfather was a pipe smoker... When he died many many years ago, he left me his pipes, and his tobacco container. i keep the humidifier full.. My grandfather was a classical music violist and traveled the world...he collected many pipes....

Every year, on his birthday, i take a tiny pinch of his tobacco and select one of his pipes, and lite it in his honor... He was a great man, and made a difference in my life. The smell is wonderful and never fails to bring back wonderful memories of his playing, and our many many card games that we enjoyed... He loved jin rummy...lol

Ag

thats really cool you saved his tobacco and can do that.

NoZombies
12-19-2013, 01:14 AM
I dont smoke a pipe, but I have thought about it because I LOVE the smell.
I remember as a kid my grandpa smoked one. One of those memories that you'll never forget.

I had no idea they were a higher maintanance item. So you cant smoke them more than once a day and resting for several days is better?
I would think that you just puff like a cigar and not inhale like a cigarette, eh?

Well, I let my pipes rest for a few days, others don't. I can't say that it's a requirement, but I've found that it improves my experience. A pipe can sour from the moisture, and I find that the rest period prevents that for me. That's where cob pipes, meerschaum pipes and the like come in handy, they can be smoked back to back without issue, and with a cob pipe, they are generally so inexpensive that replacement is negligible if they get damaged or lost.

My collection is significantly larger than what's represented in the photos I posted, and I give away a number of pipes every year (probably a dozen or so on average for the last several years) to friends. I have probably a half a dozen "Missouri Meerschaum" corn cob pipes at any given time, and they see use in most rotations, I just didn't add one to the rotation for this upcoming trip :)

I puff my pipes the same as my cigars, some folks inhale, but since I was never a cigarette smoker, I've never had the inclination. I smoke cigars regularly, but the pipe is great on a budget (the initial investment can be high, but certainly doesn't have to be) or when the weather turns cooler.

If you decide to take up smoking a pipe, I recommend starting with a Missouri Meerschaum cob pipe, and an ounce of Lane 1Q tobacco. The combination wont set you back an arm and a leg, and the cob pipes often smoke better than basket pipes, and for less money. An ounce of tobacco will last for a number of smoking sessions. There are a whole bunch of youtube videos on how to pack and light a pipe, and a little knowledge can go a long way to improving a first experience.

Taylor
12-19-2013, 08:05 AM
May be you have that one pipe I've been looking for.

reloader28
12-21-2013, 12:41 PM
Nozombies, Thanks for the tips. I might just have to try a pipe. I think my brother might have one.

NoZombies
12-23-2013, 05:36 AM
After moving last year, I still haven't found one box that has a bunch of pipe stuff in it, so a lot of my other pipes are still unaccounted for, but I figured I'd add a few more to the mix here. Many of these pipes are cheap ones, but for me it's not so much about how much a pipe costs, as much as it is about how well it smokes. These ones all smoke well.

NoZombies
12-23-2013, 05:39 AM
A few more. 2 of these are custom made pipes with hardwood stems. They're both good smokers, but it's a bit different with a wooden stem in your mouth compared to ebonite.

1989toddm
07-19-2016, 05:24 PM
Bumping this thread, anyone smoke Frog Morton's Cellar?

Blackwater
07-19-2016, 06:30 PM
Thanks for resurrecting this old thread. Brings back some very pleasant memories. Been a long time since I smoked my pipes. Now, I keep trying to quit the cigarettes, but I'll always love a pipe. I still have them, and some tobacco that's probably long gone, humidors, etc. Used to love a little latakia in my mix, but not much. Sure adds a richer flavor to it.

I think smoking a pipe is one of the most personal simple pleasures open to man. It's about as soothing and "leveling out" as an activity can be. And if you get your tobacco from the right places, unprocessed, I'm convinced it's not as bad for you as the pre-packaged stuff is on the store shelves. If I can quit the cigs, successfully, I may sneak in a bowl in my pipes occasionally. Quite a different experience from cigarettes. And a really good cigar .... well, what can you say? Those who know need no explanation, and those who don't will never "get it." And it's not PC to smoke anything any more, which makes it all the more appealing to me. Just wish I could quite the cigs!

Taylor
07-19-2016, 06:30 PM
No,but I'm still looking for that one pipe.Gotta be a bent stem.

jcwit
07-19-2016, 06:39 PM
Not that, but I do have found my 4 favorite tobacco's at P&C.

They are

Trout Stream
Bass Pond
Cavendish in the Woods
Black Vannilla

Three years ago I posted I gave up Cigs. and Really missed my pipe. Was informed 6 months I have failing kidney's, not missing my pipe any longer, time grows short!

Clay M
07-19-2016, 07:05 PM
I quit smoking pipes and cigars about twenty six years ago.
I still have a very nice collection of pipes.
If I ever get terminal cancer, I will smoke them again.

bedbugbilly
07-19-2016, 08:54 PM
I used to smoke a pipe for a number of years. Gave it up probably 35 years ago. I also smoked cigarettes and cigars but can't stand the smell of either now. But, even though I rarely see anyone smoking a pipe anymore - if I smell one I still get the "urge". I had several briars but have to admit I was pretty "low key". I actually preferred to smoke the old "Missouri Meerschaums" - the corn cob pipes that had the replaceable filter in the stem - you could buy them in just about any store that sold pipe tobacco - used to come on a display board of about a dozen or so and if I remember correctly, wee less that $2.00. I had several of them that I would rotate. Nothing fancy for tobacco either . . . Kentucky Club, Cherry Blend or Borkum Riff.

You've got a nice collection! By the way . . . I started with the Missouri Meerschaums when I was 16 . . . lot's of things I regret as I get older and smoking is one of them - glad I quit.

s mac
07-19-2016, 09:38 PM
Yes. I too am glad this thread came back up. One of my habits, and because of this thread I met 2 forum members, great guys.

victorfox
07-19-2016, 09:50 PM
My great-grandma smoked her cob pipe till her last days at 97 years... I don't smoke but take nasal snuff.

jcwit
07-19-2016, 11:55 PM
I have a fair collection of brior, my best nes are the Royal Danish I bought back in the 60's. Today some of my favs are the Misssouri Meerschaums, as already said, no break in, very inexpensive, cool & dry smoke, whats not to like.

shooter2
07-20-2016, 07:54 AM
Wow, some very nice collections here. I have about forty pipes with a definite bias to Savinelli. I have only one corncob. It's OK, but far from my favorite. I lean to straight or slight bends. As to tobacco I like 1Q, Midnight Smoke, Frog Morton, yeah, even Prince Albert.

EMC45
07-20-2016, 09:23 AM
1Q is good, some of the Captain Black offerings are good as well. I like Virginias, some English and some Aromatics. Some of the tinned pressed Virginias are my favorites. LL-7 from Lane Limited (Tucker GA) is good. Lane provides Captain Black. I also like the Old Shenandoah from Captain Black as well. There are some good blends coming in tins from Captain Black, it's not just the old gold, white, and blue from the drugstore.

Just for Him has the "Middle Earth" blends that are really good too. I have been puffing on "Shortcut to Mushrooms" for a few years now and it is good.

mold maker
07-20-2016, 11:26 AM
The aluminum stemmed pipe with replaceable bowls in post 37, is the most expensive pipe I could afford during my younger years. It and Captian Black was as safistacated as I ever got. The replaceable bowls and a stem cleaners took care of "letting it rest".
My wife loved the aroma and allowed me to smoke it indoors. Gave it all up when she first got pregnant and haven't smoked one since.
I gave up smoking Marlboro gold when the price of a carton passed $10.
Only vices I have left are guns and love making, but at 74 I have to be satisfied with gun smoke and not even that very often.

Ahhhh Yes the mention of Cherry Blend and Borkim Riff brought back very fond memories.

Clay M
07-20-2016, 11:50 AM
I always bought my pipe tobacco from the Tinder Box pipe store.
I have a Peterson pipe and a Danish made pipe that were my two favorites.

jcwit
07-20-2016, 12:46 PM
I always bought my pipe tobacco from the Tinder Box pipe store.
I have a Peterson pipe and a Danish made pipe that were my two favorites.

Excellent tobacco store, we still have one in South Bend, In.

Bulliwig
07-20-2016, 01:50 PM
I also enjoy the slow blue smoke of a good pipeful tobacco. But I really don't know many of the tobaccos you mentioned it seems if they are not available here in good ole germany.
To keep on going this thread: I mostly prefer smoking english mixtures an flakes, even if my wife banns me far away from her when I smoke Latakia [smilie=l:
But I also love to smoke a good pure Virgina or Virgina/Perique Flake.

Wish you all a nice evening,
Timo

EMC45
07-20-2016, 02:08 PM
Samuel Gawith- Full Virginia Flake is good, Orlik Golden Slice, Capstan Original Flake, Dunhill Flake, Mississippi Mud

Blackwater
07-20-2016, 02:29 PM
I'll never forget the times I made it to Macon, Ga. and the mall there - usually Christmas shopping was the excuse to go. They had a "Tobacco Shoppe" there in the mall. WONDERFUL cigars, and I'd occasionally order some of their stuff via mail, mostly their wonderful tobacco blends. That's where I discovered latakia. Pure, it's awfully strong stuff! I don't see how folks smoke it pure! But blended as a "spice" with other tobaccos, it was truly great.

And I got an Uppman cigar there, medium length and diameter, and lit it up as I got in my truck in the parking lot, and smoked it all the way home until I got to my exit off the interstate a few minutes from the house. That was over 2 hours of one of the finest and most enjoyable and relaxing smokes I'll ever have in this life. I wish I could kick the cigs, but I'd love to be able to have a pipe or a really good cigar now and then. Great experience. And very different from cigarettes! VERY different!

EMC45
07-20-2016, 02:49 PM
I'll never forget the times I made it to Macon, Ga. and the mall there - usually Christmas shopping was the excuse to go. They had a "Tobacco Shoppe" there in the mall. WONDERFUL cigars, and I'd occasionally order some of their stuff via mail, mostly their wonderful tobacco blends. That's where I discovered latakia. Pure, it's awfully strong stuff! I don't see how folks smoke it pure! But blended as a "spice" with other tobaccos, it was truly great.

And I got an Uppman cigar there, medium length and diameter, and lit it up as I got in my truck in the parking lot, and smoked it all the way home until I got to my exit off the interstate a few minutes from the house. That was over 2 hours of one of the finest and most enjoyable and relaxing smokes I'll ever have in this life. I wish I could kick the cigs, but I'd love to be able to have a pipe or a really good cigar now and then. Great experience. And very different from cigarettes! VERY different!

Why not kick the cigarettes and go to the pipe? No inhaling and still enjoy the time spent puffing. I smoked cigarettes from 10 YO till about 30 YO. I quit a time or 2 in that time frame. It was very hard. It is the one addiction that gets a free pass in society (not so much nowadays though) so it makes it hard to quit. I know pipe smoking is healthier (no inhaling, less frequency) than cigs, but probably not the best thing for you. There is something about burning tobacco that I enjoy and I can't put my finger on it. I always have.

1989toddm
07-20-2016, 02:52 PM
I only have one pipe, a bent stem that I don't know much about. I really don't know anything about pipes in general, but I do enjoy it. Looking mostly for a good or several good tobaccos. Shooter, would you be willing to part with a sample of Frog Morton? Be glad to pay for a bit to try. They won't ship to WA address.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mold maker
07-20-2016, 03:13 PM
Before it closed I used to stand outside "The Tobacco Shop" in the mall and just enjoy the aroma that wafted out the entry. It closed when they banned smoking inside the whole mall. Problem now is the stench and cig butts outside the entries.

Bulliwig
07-21-2016, 02:34 AM
The Samuel Gawith stuff we can even buy here in germany.
I prefer the Best Brwon Flake over the Full Virgina Flake because of its sweetness.

victorfox
07-21-2016, 06:16 AM
Do you guys have tobacco ropes? Here in Brazil, in the country, it's pretty common still, but you can find in big cities too. It's sold by weight and the seller cuts a piece of the rope. The older guys used a pocket knife to trim small bits and made straw cigarettes no filter of course and they put that into their cob pipes. The smell is terrible from some types while some are acceptable. But none is ever close to the pipe tobacco aroma.

Blackwater
07-21-2016, 09:33 AM
Why not kick the cigarettes and go to the pipe? No inhaling and still enjoy the time spent puffing. I smoked cigarettes from 10 YO till about 30 YO. I quit a time or 2 in that time frame. It was very hard. It is the one addiction that gets a free pass in society (not so much nowadays though) so it makes it hard to quit. I know pipe smoking is healthier (no inhaling, less frequency) than cigs, but probably not the best thing for you. There is something about burning tobacco that I enjoy and I can't put my finger on it. I always have.

Good question. I guess I'm just one of those who's genuinely addicted to them. I've done work with alcoholics and learned a good deal about addiction. Never realized I was addicted to them. Most don't get addicted, and can lay them down without ill effect. When I quit, my personality changes, just like it does with alcoholics when they quit, and I get the very same withdrawal symptoms. And I get aggressive, and feel like I'm losing my mind, which ain't far from the truth, unfortunately. Not that many smokers get this addicted, but I'm one of those, and I hate smoking cigarettes. It's like mainlining heroin! Pipes and cigars are occasional pleasures. I don't know if a bowl now and then would even be possible for me if and when I quit successfully. Like Mark Twain said, I've quit "500 times!" It's the STAYING quit that I can't seem to work out quite right. The only thing about smoking cigarettes that's really satisfying, other than keeping my composure for another 45 min. to an hour, is that it's not PC now. But the price they extract for that satisfaction can be huge!

We all know that cancer and heart disease and stroke are risks if we smoke "too much," but the body's marvelous ability to endure occasional "invasions" is legendary, or ought to be. A little use of tobacco, just like a little use of alcohol, can be good for us. Too much, and it becomes a poison to us. It's just the way many things work in this life. It's long been said that "in every cure, there's a little poison," and there's an awful lot of truth in that old adage. But people back then paid a lot more attention than we tend to today. And so very much is lost because of that.

Smoke'em if ya' gottum. Remember that back when we were in the military? They pushed us hard, but gave us a break for a simple pleasure, and those were the best cigarettes I think I've ever had in my life! And I think God allows us a few "guilty pleasures," so long as we don't abuse them too badly. He wants us to be happy, and a little alcohol and a little tobacco seem to me to be rational blessings God has provided to us. Others believe differently, but it's a very personal decision, and I think rightly so. Defending non-PC stuff is hard these days, though, but .... it's worth it, I think.

EMC45
07-21-2016, 12:01 PM
I understand BW. It was very hard to quit cigarettes. Made me crazy a few times trying to quit cold turkey. I had to fix it in my mind that I was going to quit and I did. It was real hard to quit when I was Active Duty and cartons were $10! I remember "smokem if ya gottem" too. The smoke pit outside of Co. spaces was where we solved the world's problems. Cup a coffee and a Marlboro Red and we were set!

I too agree with moderation in regard to our intake of anything, whether it be red meat, fast food, fried chicken, tobacco, alcohol etc. Too many people find their boogeyman and then think it should be everyone else's boogeyman as well. I personally think a pint of beer or glass of wine every now and then (or every night is responsibly) is perfectly fine. A smoke too. Cigar cigarette pipe...- Whatever. Too many folks live in totalitarian absolutism. I used to. I found it to be very unhealthy!!

BrassMagnet
07-21-2016, 05:02 PM
I smoked my custom made meershaum pipe a couple times before I quit smoking back in 1984 or so.
My big brother had it made for me while he was stationed in Turkey.
Here are a few photos:

woodbutcher
07-21-2016, 05:29 PM
:sad: Had a few really nice pipes,until they got stolen.Used to get my tobacco from a locally owned tobacco shop in my home town in Florida where I grew up.The blend was called"Indian River Gold".Easy smoking,smooth and very nice aroma.Made some really nice home rolled cigarettes too.Got watch out for that Latakia though.It WILL get your attention.Hehehe.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

EMC45
07-22-2016, 12:19 PM
The Samuel Gawith stuff we can even buy here in germany.
I prefer the Best Brwon Flake over the Full Virgina Flake because of its sweetness.

This is next on the "buy list".

Blackwater
07-22-2016, 01:09 PM
Have any of you noticed that pipe smokers tend to be very satisfied when they're alone, while so many who don't smoke at all and many who smoke something else, can be fidgety when alone? I've heard some say that the pipe's a "substitute" for a "friend," but that's just plain silly. Pipe smokers, to a man, have largely in my experience been people who simply like to think, and the pipe and tobacco seem to help keep us focused on a single train of thought. I'm sure there are exceptions, just on the basis of human variability, but this has been my strong impression through many years now. Thinking has gone out of style, so it kind'a makes sense, in a perverse kind'a way, that smoking should be attacked as well. Just seems to go together, IMO. I still want to kick the cigs, but haven't yet. Tried Welbutrin once, and it worked just as advertised, but the problem came when I quit taking it. I think it's something that one needs to taper off of, rather than just shut off suddenly taking. The side effects are supposed to be suicidal thoughts, but mine were HOMICIDAL, so I'll never take it again. Anyone tried it and have adverse side effects? How did you deal with it? Psychotropic drugs CAN be DANGEROUS! Looks like I'm going to have to grit it out. It's very humbling having something with claws so deep in you that without it, you're a completely different person. Real addiction to tobacco seems at least fairly rare. I'm one who is literally addicted, and it's NOT FUN! Hurts my pride as well. Sometimes, life's just hard, but it's always worth it.

BrassMagnet
07-22-2016, 02:36 PM
Have any of you noticed that pipe smokers tend to be very satisfied when they're alone, while so many who don't smoke at all and many who smoke something else, can be fidgety when alone? I've heard some say that the pipe's a "substitute" for a "friend," but that's just plain silly. Pipe smokers, to a man, have largely in my experience been people who simply like to think, and the pipe and tobacco seem to help keep us focused on a single train of thought. I'm sure there are exceptions, just on the basis of human variability, but this has been my strong impression through many years now. Thinking has gone out of style, so it kind'a makes sense, in a perverse kind'a way, that smoking should be attacked as well. Just seems to go together, IMO. I still want to kick the cigs, but haven't yet. Tried Welbutrin once, and it worked just as advertised, but the problem came when I quit taking it. I think it's something that one needs to taper off of, rather than just shut off suddenly taking. The side effects are supposed to be suicidal thoughts, but mine were HOMICIDAL, so I'll never take it again. Anyone tried it and have adverse side effects? How did you deal with it? Psychotropic drugs CAN be DANGEROUS! Looks like I'm going to have to grit it out. It's very humbling having something with claws so deep in you that without it, you're a completely different person. Real addiction to tobacco seems at least fairly rare. I'm one who is literally addicted, and it's NOT FUN! Hurts my pride as well. Sometimes, life's just hard, but it's always worth it.

Smoking addiction has two facets, physical and behavioral. Physical withdrawal lasts about three days. Behavioral lasts much longer.
If you take a puff on a smoke, you get an instant nicotine rush and restart the three days of physical withdrawal. Chewing tobacco takes longer to reach the bloodstream and can help taper down, but adds the risk of addiction to both.
I quit back in 1984, or so, by switching to Skoal Bandits. When I just could not resist any longer, I did a bandit which is a little pre-measured pouch of chewing tobacco and comes twenty to the can. One can lasted the three days and then it went in the trash, too. The habits and mannerisms were much tougher to beat. I was hell to be around for a while there.
I still have the stray whim now and then to mug a smoker so I can smoke his cigarettes. I consider myself a smoker for life who has just paused his smoking habit. I learned many years ago that a single puff will have me back to chain smoking in just a few days.
I still wake up in a cold sweat from a nightmare that I just took a puff.

Hint: I will never smoke my pipe again and it may be available for a really neat mould or set of dies.

jcwit
07-22-2016, 02:39 PM
I was on Ativan to help me get off cigs. & booze.

Course that was at the same time I had cancer!

EMC45
07-22-2016, 03:22 PM
My problem when I last quit cigarettes for good was that I was working in the machine shop running CNC Waterjet and Plasma tables. A lot of standing around waiting for parts to be cut. Making sure the machine didn't crash and pulling parts when they were done. My co-worker would buy a couple packs of smokes and just lay them on the machines. He told me "get as many as you want, I have a carton in the truck". That was hard. Also the owner asked me if I could pick up one of the layout fab guys and I agreed, well the layout guy paid me with about 2 packs a day of cigarettes. Every time he plopped down in my truck he handed me a couple packs of smokes. I finally had to just make a decision to not smoke anymore and got after it.

Was smoke free for a long time, but then I was thinking about the pipe and how I always liked it and always thought it was neat. I went to the store and got a cob and some tobacco and had at it. Wasn't bad, but felt a little bit of guilt after having been smoke free for so long. It is different though than smoking cigarettes. The all consuming obsession of the next cig, and the obsessive planning to get somewhere so that you can take a smoke break. That was the bad part. It ran my life!

On a side note.....I forgot to re-fill my tobacco can in my truck last night! It will be a fast smoke on the way out tonight.

jcwit
07-22-2016, 03:38 PM
Boy, I'm glad I didn't have buds/co workers like you had.

Course I was confined to the hospital room & bed.

mold maker
07-22-2016, 04:00 PM
I had to quit twice for it to stick. First time I ballooned to 297 and decided smoking was the lesser of the two evils. I saw no reason to kill my pall bearers.
It took a year but I lost down to 188 and quit again. This time, it wasn't as hard because I had done it before.
It's been almost 28 years now and I still only weigh 220 which I consider my normal. It's a plateau I can maintain easily without stressing over it.
To this day I can remember the satisfaction of a cup and a smoke after a good meal. Don't guess that will ever go away. I no longer crave it and can't stand being around it.
Did I really stink that bad?

Blackwater
07-22-2016, 08:22 PM
Brass, that's what the med journals say, but it's a lie! My withdrawal will last 6 weeks, minimum, and reoccur after that regularly. It's like feeling like you're losing your mind, and you can't follow a train of thought for more than 2 seconds! THAT is REAL addiction, no doubt about it. And if the physical part only lasted a few days, why do they tell you to take the smoking cessation drugs for 4-6 wks.?

What the med journals say probably apply to most folks, but NOT to a real addict. Believe me. There IS a real and significant difference. I scoffed at such stuff for years, until it bit me! And I've always had the kind of work where I couldn't allow myself to get through the kind of effects it caused in me. And I'm already forgetful enough. Have a family reunion tomorrow, and have to be sharp to remember to go to it! Have been paring down what I eat lately, to try to lose a little wt., and even that has its effects on me. (sigh) sometimes, you're danged if you do and danged if you don't! I'm just glad to still be here.

Traffer
07-22-2016, 08:53 PM
OH man. You are making me salivate. I smoked a pipe when I was a teenager. Sir Walter Raleigh. I used to live to just look at nice pipes. But alas I smoked cigarettes until I became a Christian at the tender age of 33. Twas then I quit smoking those awful cigarettes. So about 8 years ago I started smoking cigars (which I also love) But again having come from a cigarette background, is started to inhale. I took a big inhale of a particularly nasty cigar and it almost did me in. I think I had a heart attack but I was afraid to tell my wife. I just quietly quit the cigars and thanked God I was still alive. Now the past couple of years it seems that I am often daydreaming about some nice velvety smooth aromatic pipe tobacco. But you know the story....Gotta wait till I get to heaven. hah

Traffer
07-22-2016, 09:00 PM
When I first studied the Bible, I told my friend that I would be smoking a cigarette when they nailed me in. "You can quit" he insisted. I just laughed. He said, "If you don't have the faith, you can borrow mine" God bless him, I quit. As far as being addicted. I started smoking when I was 11. By the time I was 13 I smoked a pack of Luckys a day. When I was a small child, I used to try and suck on my dad's nicotine stained fingers cuz I needed that, that, smell. (Mother smoked when she was pregnant with me. Came out addicted) Ever see a little kid eat cigarette butts? That's why.

Traffer
07-22-2016, 09:07 PM
I had a friend who got into drugs right after high school. He got busted and had to sit in the jail cell while he went through withdrawls from heroine. I asked him what it was like. He said, "just like they say, balled up on the ground with horrible pain all over. Sweating and shivering at the same time. etc" I said, "I can't imagine. The only thing I could compare it with is quitting cigarettes." He said and I will never forget this, "Oh no it's not like cigarettes, YOU CAN QUIT HEROINE"