PDA

View Full Version : Sizing Flash

fastfire
12-17-2013, 03:43 AM
I have a Lyman 452460HV and when sized to .452 i get a thin layer of pb on the bottom edge of the boolit that the sizing does. Is there a tool like this http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=28
to remove it?

leftiye
12-17-2013, 04:00 AM
What are you using to size the boolits? Do you lube them if the sizer doesn't? How much are you sizing them down? What you are seeing shouldn't be happening - end of story.

bhn22
12-17-2013, 12:08 PM
It kind of sounds like you need to adjust or replace your sprue plate. I'm assuming the flash is coming from the base of the bullet. Pressure casting can also cause this. How much flash are you getting? Got pics of a sized, and an unsized bullet?

cbrick
12-17-2013, 01:49 PM
Something's amiss, the solution isn't to cover up and hide a problem, the solution is to find the cause of the problem & fix that.

Agree with bhn22, got pics?

Rick

bgokk
12-17-2013, 03:20 PM
I think the OP is saying that the sizing is making the fin not the casting. I had this happen and found that if I sized base first in the same Lee push thru I did not get the flash on the base.

Flashfire, If you are sizing in a Lee die that will cure your problem.

I was given this advice on this site " Thanks guys"

cbrick
12-17-2013, 03:43 PM
Sizing nose first will not cause this unless your sizing an un-lubed boolit several thousands.

Rick

bgokk
12-17-2013, 07:48 PM
Here is the link to my OP about this problem

Pics Included.

popper
12-17-2013, 08:06 PM
For a 45, I wouldn't do anything but shoot them. You could run them over some sandpaper to remove the fin, but when shot the barrel will re-invent them. I tried base first to eliminate them in 40. Shoot the same but a smooth base makes loading easier. If the as-cast are really large, a change in temp or alloy may make them drop smaller.

tomme boy
12-17-2013, 08:25 PM
My 45 boolits do the same thing in a RCBS LAMII. I just shoot them. Never had a problem. Mine are a 200 gr SWC from a mold from Accurate Molds that are 0.453" out of the mold sized to 0.452". It is a very small flashing on the base as it is sized. I always thought it was from the bases are very sharp and filled out. None of my other molds have such a sharp base.

35 shooter
12-17-2013, 11:15 PM
fastfire NOE moulds does have a base truing tool they sell for i think about 15.00. Igot one with my mould and it works great for what you are talking about and also for reducing a base a bit if it pours extra full and a check doesn't want to start on it properly. Hardly ever have to use it but it does work.

bgokk
12-18-2013, 01:30 AM
Here is the link to my OP about this problem [/URL]

Pics Included.

I just got back to this thread and noticed that the link was not there.[smilie=b:
Here it is just cut and paste. [url]http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?182979-Lee-push-through-sizer-problem (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?182979-Lee-push-through-sizer-problem)

Now it works??????????????