PDA

View Full Version : Bastogne Christmas Tribute

Blacksmith
12-16-2013, 11:37 PM
Every year for the last four years a member on the CMP Forum, screen name Paratrpr, has written a moving tribute to the defenders of Bastogne. Here is a link to a posting with links to all four stories, and we are looking forward with anticipation for this year.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=124712

This year at the CMP shoot in Quarreyville PA last weekend some of the guys were talking about the postings and decided to hold there own tribute on Christmas Eve, see post #10.

smoked turkey
12-17-2013, 12:21 AM
Thank you Blacksmith for the link. I really like these and always enjoy and look forward to them each year. They really speak to me for some reason or another.

Bzcraig
12-17-2013, 01:38 AM
I couldn't stop reading, that was very inspiring!

MtGun44
12-17-2013, 02:28 AM
I visited the foxholes for Easy company in Bois Jacques a couple years ago. You can still see the
observation post on the edge looking towards Foy where they made the assault over open
ground, and many other places that these men were - landing beaches, other battle sites
like the fight for the guns at Brecourt Manor.

In awe of these men and what they did.

Bill

Bad Water Bill
12-17-2013, 02:49 AM
Thank You for reminding us again of those that gave so much.

Now I have to sit quietly and wait for his next salute.

RoyEllis
12-17-2013, 05:54 PM
Amongst others, Bastogne was a story I grew up hearing from those with first-hand experience. Dad was 3rd Army under Gen. Patton & 2 of his 4 brothers were with the 101st @ Bastogne. My other 2 uncles spent WWII in the Pacific, 1 a Marine the other a gunner's mate on BB-60 USS Alabama. A large portion of the stories told were things that never would've seen print, a few serious, many hilarious or happenings bordering the ridiculous. They never tired of haranguing each other over who had the "cushiest posts" in respective theaters.
All are long gone now, but their stories (as best I recall the tales) are still told, passed to my grandsons so the stories and characters who lived them will live on in memory.

mjwcaster
07-21-2014, 07:09 PM
This one deserves a bump every so often.
I first read this several years ago and have followed the series.

I cannot find a tribute for 2013, anyone know if there was one?

There are just some days where I am in that kind of mood, sad and or patriotic songs playing and I remember these stories, funny that CastBoolits is one of the top links for them.

Really strange that the CMP site always seems to have issues for these posts, the screen is never in focus real well, something just always makes is a little blurry.

Might be the same thing that was in the air when I visited the Middle East Conflict war memorial a month or two ago. Nice place, but way too many names, and knowing that there are so many more casualties not listed. And they were adding to it when I was there.

A huge heartfelt thanks for all those that have served.

Matt