PDA

View Full Version : Picked up some lead

Swamprat1052
11-24-2007, 08:24 PM
I have been having a hard time finding wheel weights, theres a guy in the area recycling them and all the tire shops are letting him have theirs. I havent picked up any in a while. Today I found a small shop near home that said he had a few if I wanted them. I got there and he had 4 five gallon buckets. Said the guy recycling in town wants him to pay for him to come get em and then wants them sorted and boxed. He said I could have all he gets if I'd come get em. FOR FREE!!! I can drive 8 miles for that.

I dont know exactly how much a bucket of ww's weigh but theres a bunch of lead. I thought I did pretty good.

Swamprat

lathesmith
11-24-2007, 08:35 PM
Wow, what a great find--for both you AND the tire shop! Congrats!!

hammerhead357
11-24-2007, 08:38 PM
congratulations Swamprat. You did good. Several of the shops where I used to get free or cheap ww now want 40 or more cents per lb. or won't even sell them to me because their supplier is picking them up.....Wes

crabo
11-24-2007, 08:39 PM
You knocked a home run. You should have 7-800 pounds of raw material. I would think you should end up with at least 500 pounds of ingots, depending on how full the buckets were.

I'd go buy him a gift card to a nice resturant and tell him the evening is on you. (or something so he remembers you next time)

I feel fortunate to have a place to buy them for 35 cents a pound.

Swamprat1052
11-24-2007, 08:57 PM
Oh yeah I am definitly gonna do something for the guys.

Swamprat

armoredman
11-24-2007, 10:28 PM
Sweet!

madcaster
11-24-2007, 10:47 PM
About 170 pounds in a full 5 gallon metal bucket,in my experience,losing another 10 pounds in metal clips,ya didz GOOD!!!:Fire:

dale2242
11-25-2007, 02:01 PM
Stopped by the local metal recyclers yesterday. Sold junk shell casing for $1.12 a lb. They sold scrap lead for $.75 a lb. Congrats swamprat. Lucky you.

Winger Ed.
11-25-2007, 03:49 PM
Said the guy recycling in town wants him to pay for him to come get em and then wants them sorted and boxed.

My scrap yard guy doesn't really like to buy in Lead anymore.
The EPA inspectors give him fits about how it has to be stored, kept up off the ground, etc.
If I ask him to- he'll get some in, and call me to pick it up the same day.

I've since found a tire shop that gives me their scrap weights in 5 gallon buckets too.
I never weighed one, but 170 pounds each sounds about right.
To keep him from giving it to someone else; I 'trade' him a bottle of Crown Royal for 4-5 buckets too. Plus, I pour him a Lead hammer once in awhile. His guys use them alot, and they wear out in a year or so.

Morgan Astorbilt
11-25-2007, 09:58 PM
Swamprat, It might seem like the right thing to do, to show your appreciation, but don't do it. Right now he's thankful that you're removing them for free, and you have to adopt the attitude that you're both doing each other a favor. Too much gratitude will get him to start thinking about how much he might be able to sell them for.

Morgan