PDA

View Full Version : A literal lead mine of information on casting worth its weight in gold.

Recluse
12-16-2013, 02:16 AM
I've been a longtime subscriber to Handloader and other Wolfe publications. Unlike a minority, I try not to nitpick or find too many points of contention with (most) writers when it comes to reloading and handloading and casting.

For me, it's always been about the result first and foremost, more than about the tools, or brand thereof, the methods (so long as they are safe and not abusive on the tools), and/or personal preference.

Some years ago, I got an offer in the mail that I couldn't turn down. Wolfe Publishing had spent a good deal of time going through their archives and scouring the microfisch in their libraries and in turn, scanning hundreds of pages of articles on almost exclusively bullet-casting and everything it entails--including loads for each specific caliber.

I ordered the DVD. It was kind of pricey if I remember correctly, but at the time, finding much of anything on bullet casting other than the Lyman stuff was difficult to do.

When the DVD came in, I popped it in the Big Mac computer in the office and was immediately happy with the purchase. Hundreds and hundreds of pages of scanned articles from writers, hunters, and handloaders of legend were right at my fingertips and just a mouseclick away!

Well, I'm sitting here on a cold Sunday night recovering from surgery and got to thinking about this collection. So out to the reloading shop I go and I come back in with the DVD. It's called "The Art Of Bullet Casting" and it has four huge volumes in it. They include:

• The Art Of Bullet Casting

• Bullet Making Annual, Volume I

• Bullet Making Annual, Volume II

• Cast Bullet Special Edition

Each volume has its own table of contents, articles, notes, etc. Everything under the sun is covered from makeup of alloy to smelting to sizing to lubing to fit to loading to temperature effects, etc etc etc etc and more.

I just did a basic Google search and found the DVD is available on Amazon and through a number of gun rags. Amazon has some copies that are running for $22.50, which is about a third or less than what I think I paid for the DVD when Wolfe first pitched it.

If you're new to casting, there is a LOT of very useful information all presented in articles for you. If you're experienced, you'll enjoy a lot of the writing. Me? I like having lots of information and data at hand. I'll probably make printing and organizing these articles and data sheets a "rainy day project" here in the next few months.

Just wanted to pass this along, especially to our newer members.

:coffee:

dromia
12-16-2013, 04:44 AM
I have the original paper copies and are among the classic casting sources in my mind.

I also have the Handloader DVD set and find it really interesting and useful, it uses adobe and the search function is not bad on it. Finding stuff is really easy and it turns up some real gems.

Trouble is I do not like reading at any length on the screen but if i find and article then the chances are I might have the paper copy as well.

sav300
12-16-2013, 06:35 AM
Recluse,thank you for the information about the DVD.

JSAND
12-16-2013, 09:57 AM
Recluse, I hope your recovery is quick, I thank you for the information. Off to Amazon I go.

gray wolf
12-16-2013, 05:21 PM
JD I am always happy just to see a post from you, especially now knowing you have not felt well.
I have, and will continue to pray for your recovery.
Thank you for the information about the casting help that is available.

Sam

Iowa Fox
12-16-2013, 05:32 PM
Good to see a post from you Recluse.

jmort
12-16-2013, 05:47 PM
I am a big fan of Wolfe Publishing. Have been subscribing to Load Data, and digital copies of Handloader/Rifle/Successful Hunter all for about $5.00 per month. A very good deal for access to all that info. Had been thinking about getting the DVD you mentioned, and now with your review, I'm sold. Thanks for review/recommendation. $20.00 from Wolfe. BTW, big fan of Brian Pearce as well.
http://www.riflemagazine.com/catalog/detail.cfm?productid=1618

cbrick
12-16-2013, 07:20 PM
I also have both the paper editions and the DVD's. JD is right, a valuable resource as is Handloader right back to volume #1 & I have all the DVD's of them too.

These books and the NRA cast bullet book too, makes great reading next to the fire on a cold night.

Rick

dbosman
12-16-2013, 07:27 PM
I've been putting off purchasing the latest Lyman cast bullet book as I have #2 & #3. Buying it with the Wolfe CD, after Recluse made me aware of it, became a no brainer. Discounted due to purchasing both, and free shipping. And it they approve my 2nd Amazon credit card, I'll get another $30. credit.

Recluse I wish you a great day. You sure made mine better.

Recluse
12-17-2013, 06:09 PM
I have the original paper copies and are among the classic casting sources in my mind.

I also have the Handloader DVD set and find it really interesting and useful, it uses adobe and the search function is not bad on it. Finding stuff is really easy and it turns up some real gems.

Trouble is I do not like reading at any length on the screen but if i find and article then the chances are I might have the paper copy as well.

Agree with you and it is why I have not put a computer or laptop out in the reloading shop. I tend to "wander" when on the magic box, and with the printed articles and data sheets, I tend to stay a bit more on focus. Plus, I can write on them and make notes in the margins, etc.

I also have both the paper editions and the DVD's. JD is right, a valuable resource as is Handloader right back to volume #1 & I have all the DVD's of them too.

These books and the NRA cast bullet book too, makes great reading next to the fire on a cold night.

Rick

I pulled up a great article from the first volume (The Art Of Bullet Casting) on the .303 written by Al Miller. Lots of very useful information on the firearm, its history and even a good chart of cast boolit loads and with the author's own conclusions as to how accurate each load was.

A lot of the newer information on reloading and casting will probably be around for all of time to come since it came to the forefront during the computer and (especially the) internet age. But there are TONS of information and articles out there that will probably never see the internet and are only on computers because some select folks took the long and arduous time to scan the articles in by hand and then log and catalog them.

THAT is the kind of historical knowledge and experience that one simply cannot put a price on having in their personal library.

:coffee: