PDA

View Full Version : Air gun lube

Dan Cash
12-15-2013, 11:34 PM
I have inherited a couple of better side lever air rifles. With them came a bottle of the gummiest air gun oil you ever saw, reminds me of old 3-in-one oil. Can't be good. Will ATF hurt the innards?

nhrifle
12-15-2013, 11:49 PM
Never used it, but Pyramidair.com has dedicated airgun oil that won't hurt the seals. That would be my advice.

Silver Eagle
12-16-2013, 03:30 AM
For synthetic seals in a spring piston airgun use silicone oil. It has a very high flash point and will not diesel.
For leather seals, you can use a good grade petroleum based oil. Silicone oil is still preferred.
If they have not been fired in a long time, place 5 to 10 drops down the barrel and leave standing for a week or so to soak in.

Dan Cash
12-16-2013, 07:57 AM
Thanks fellows. My next question will be what kind of seals do these guns have which will be asked as soon as I dig the guns out and see who made them and what models etc.

Pakprotector
12-18-2013, 08:39 PM
A newer plastic seal will not be served by oiling it. Only the leather will benefit.
cheers,
Douglas

Mike 56
12-19-2013, 02:42 PM
I use 30w non detergent oil for my Crosman pump guns and i put a drop of oil on the top of the air cart every other cart i load one.

W.R.Buchanan
12-20-2013, 02:02 PM
I had a Daisy BB Gun in my youth, and it was neglected by my father who let his other kids use it while I was back in CA. I finally got it shipped to me when I was 12 and it would hardly shoot a BB out of the barrel.

My favorite Uncle took the gun to work and soaked it is solvent for a couple of days and when I got it back the thing shot like a .22.

I only realized recently that the leather seal in the gun was swelled up by the solvent. The same thing happened to my HW35 which has a leather seal, however I used some Beeman airgun oil I bought many years ago.

It's amazing to me how you can go for 50 years and not know the answer to a question, and then it is answered and a whole new realm of knowledge suddenly opens up for you.

Id ask one of the guys a Pyramyd Air what kind of oil to use in your gun. That way you will get the right answer up front.

Pakprotector: I'm probably the only one on this site that knows what all the stuff in your signature means.

I am the builder of the DeScrambler from 4BTSWAPS.com.

Randy

Dan Cash
12-20-2013, 07:37 PM
Thanks again fellows. I'll check Pyramid Air. A.R., Have fun with your Hummmm Veee!