PDA

View Full Version : as they say

white eagle
12-15-2013, 08:18 PM
such is life
we ended our deer season with a doe only hunt that concluded today at sundown
for the past two seasons 2012-2013 I have not really done well in the general firearms season
so I look so forward to filling my freezer with a doe or two
the past season on the last day of a 4 day season I see 1 deer a trophy buck standing behind my stand for(7 yds.) what seemed like forever but was like 60 sec.
today although not a trophy the only deer I saw was a small buck again a chip shot within 10 yds.
oh well thats hunting ;)

Teddy (punchie)
12-15-2013, 08:27 PM
We had a slow season, I ended up with bronchus and missed the last week. Five bucks last year, 3 nicer ones 2 small, 8 doe this year 4 doe. I'm A zero which only happens like never LOL Muzzle loader season is next, at least I may get a chance to hunt. I normally hunt about 80-120 hours in our two week rifle season. I had about 18 hours this year, passed on a number of doe. One other thing, No one in our group seen any bucks.

44man
12-16-2013, 08:32 AM
I heard that from two friends, they hunted PA and out of a group of 20, only two deer taken.
I passed on several small bucks here in WV because we can shoot doe all season.
One friend went home to MI and never seen a deer there either.
I used to go to Clarion county long ago to track deer in snow with my flint lock, always got nice doe.
Went to Elk county once in rifle season, deer were so small I thought I was in Fla, one fella shot an 8 point and I could wrap my hands around the rack with fingers touching.

CastingFool
12-16-2013, 09:32 AM
My 2013 deer firearm season was different, but exciting to say the least. I invited two newbies to hunt deer on our property (which is really not very large) I'm sure the rut was still going on during the first 5-6 days, as we saw quite a few deer, surprisingly it was mostly bucks (I normally see 2-3 bucks during the 16 day season) The first two days we saw enough deer to keep us interested, but no shots were offered. Didn't hunt on Sunday, but Monday, the newbies came back, one shot a nice 8pt, in the morning. About an hr later, I took a shot at a larger buck, but somehow missed. Found some white hair but no blood whatsoever. In the afternoon, the other newbie shot a real nice 9pt buck, that dressed out to 165 lbs. (19" outside spread) That Monday, I saw 8 bucks althogether, never seen that many bucks in my property before. I went out every day after that, both morning and afternoon, except Sunday, and the deer movement slowed to a crawl. I did manage to shoot one doe on a Wednesday, a coyote the following day, and two days before the end of the season, I shot another doe, just about the end of legal shooting time. Overall, I'm thankful for the fresh venison in my freezer, and with all 4 deer, there was no tracking involved (although I did have to gut all 4) and the fact that the newbies got a good start. Our ML season is currently open, I still have my buck tag, but haven't had a chance to get out, our late doe season starts on Dec 23, till Jan1. Hoping to take another doe. My family eats venison all the time. Even with processing, it's way cheaper than grass fed beef, plus acquiring it, is a whole lot more fun than going to the supermarket.

white eagle
12-16-2013, 02:00 PM
sounds awesome

44man
12-20-2013, 12:37 PM
Doe season opened yesterday again, three days, then four more later. I am waiting for a friend to come to hunt, will not go out until then. I don't really need another but darn, hunting with friends is best.

pls1911
12-27-2013, 04:22 PM
At least folks are getting out... I have an open acces to two sweet ranches but won't even think about getting out until next week when I get back into Texas.
I'll get a couple of doe, but more important than the venison is just getting OUT SIDE.