PDA

View Full Version : Had to Try It..3589 in a .35 Rem Lever

beagle
08-28-2005, 05:34 PM
Having a box of sized and lubed 3589 bullets on the bench and reading one of Paco kelly's stories on the .35 Remington, I just had to try it out.

Velocities were pretty low as I was guessing on loads for a 293 grain bullet in the .35 but one was about 1400 FPS and the other was 1200 something.

At 100 yards, all bullets hit point on and I detected no elongated holes. Accuracy was about 3" in both loads but I expect that to improve a bit with more velocity.

This was with my old Marlin 336 with cut rifling.

The base was pretty far down in the case below the neck but most bullets are in the .35.

I'll bet that long bullet sure has some penetrating ability.

This is a project for the fall but I'll get around to it. Definitely worth playing with some more./beagle

Rrusse11
08-28-2005, 10:03 PM
Cool! You got 1:16 twist and a 24" barrel John?
Cheers,
R*2

Frank46
08-29-2005, 12:40 AM
Speaking about the 35 rem. I have a line on a remington model 14 in 35 rem. Kinda pricey but haven't seen any decent ones around locally. This is a solid frame model if I remember correctly although they did make some takedown models. Another toy for which I will have to break the piggy bank to get and then the usual littany of brass, dies and of course bullet mold. This is getting to be a familiar story. Any suggestions for the first mold???. Frank

Bret4207
08-29-2005, 05:26 AM
Frank- you'l really need 2 moulds. Either the 200 gr Lyman or the 200 RCBS, the RCBS being my choice. Flatter nose, better hunting bullet. Then you'll need pretty much whatever 140-170 gr bullet design that strikes your fancy for small game and plinking. I'd recommend a Lee 6 cavity SWC design, PB or GC. The 6 cav will let you do up a bunch of boolits quick so you'll be apt to shoot more.

Buckshot
08-29-2005, 06:28 AM
............Beagle wasn't it you who sent me a bunch of 250gr 35 cal slugs to try in my 35 Rem Mauser? Also I think the 328gr and 352gr 375's? Truthe be known, the Saeco 200gr slugs shoots so well at 2200+ fps from my rifle It's hard to see trying anything else. It's a wondrus thing :D!

..............Buckshot

beagle
08-29-2005, 12:51 PM
R2...1-16 twist but an 18" barrel on an OLD Marlin carbine./beagle

Cool! You got 1:16 twist and a 24" barrel John?
Cheers,
R*2

beagle
08-29-2005, 12:52 PM
frank....You'll not go wrong with a 35-200-FN RCBS. Shoots well in my old Marlin./beagle

Speaking about the 35 rem. I have a line on a remington model 14 in 35 rem. Kinda pricey but haven't seen any decent ones around locally. This is a solid frame model if I remember correctly although they did make some takedown models. Another toy for which I will have to break the piggy bank to get and then the usual littany of brass, dies and of course bullet mold. This is getting to be a familiar story. Any suggestions for the first mold???. Frank

beagle
08-29-2005, 12:57 PM
Buckshot..May have been Scott Keepes that sent the 260 grain .35 Saecos. He sent me some and they did about 2". I sent the big .375s as I have that big NEI .375 mould.

My best bullet in the .35 is either the 35-200-FN or a 358430 HP that I GC. The latter weighs in at 187 grains and is my plinking bullet.

The 200 is probably the most accurate right out of the box but I saw those 3589s sitting there and the devil made me do it. This winter, I'll mess with tweaking the velocity up some and I beleive the accuracy will improve some./beagle

............Beagle wasn't it you who sent me a bunch of 250gr 35 cal slugs to try in my 35 Rem Mauser? Also I think the 328gr and 352gr 375's? Truthe be known, the Saeco 200gr slugs shoots so well at 2200+ fps from my rifle It's hard to see trying anything else. It's a wondrus thing :D!

..............Buckshot

Bass Ackward
08-29-2005, 05:31 PM
R2...1-16 twist but an 18" barrel on an OLD Marlin carbine./beagle

John,

Congratulations. But boy howdy how strange this sport cn be when someone with a 16" twist Whelen says that they can't stabilize a 3589. And here you are with a 35 Rem. And at low velocity to boot. This is the biggest mystery as far as I am concerned.

But have fun and keep us informed.

Buckshot
08-29-2005, 05:40 PM
John,

Congratulations. But boy howdy how strange this sport cn be when someone with a 16" twist Whelen says that they can't stabilize a 3589. And here you are with a 35 Rem. And at low velocity to boot. This is the biggest mystery as far as I am concerned.

............I HAVE it (snapping fingers) It's the neck!!!!!!!:shock:

...........Buckshot

Rrusse11
08-30-2005, 09:29 AM
............I HAVE it (snapping fingers) It's the neck!!!!!!!:shock:

...........Buckshot

/me snapping his fingers,,,,,,,,,,,,,
nope, hasn't worked yet, {;o)

Errrr, can you elaborate Buckshot? Neck of cartridge? Throat of chamber?
Cheers,
R*2

beagle
08-30-2005, 09:43 AM
It was surprising to me that I didn't see elongated holes downrange. I was expecting that in a big way and the inability to stay on a 2' X 2' target backer after these guys had the results they had with the Whelens with 1-16 twist.

I intend to try some 3031 and 4895 later on this fall and see if that makes any difference. The additional velocity may open any groups the other way as well but in my experience at those velocities, more will shrink groups.

Paco Kelly says he can get 2,000 FPS with 3031 but I looked at his loads and like all of his stuff, they're bit much. But, as he says up front, they're my guns and my loads. I'm more conservative than he is but we'll see.

I'm interested to see BUckshot's take on the neck thing too./beagle

John,

bart55
08-30-2005, 11:44 PM
I also just picked up an old model 14 rem take down model,and a fairly new 336 marlin . I already have the rcbs 200gr fn works well in the whelan, now to try it out in the old 14 and the micro groove marlin .

Buckshot
08-31-2005, 02:06 AM
/me snapping his fingers,,,,,,,,,,,,,
nope, hasn't worked yet, {;o)

Errrr, can you elaborate Buckshot? Neck of cartridge? Throat of chamber?
Cheers,
R*2

...........Nope. Can't elaborate, expand or expound. MY OWN theory, until someone can prove it's NOT the short neck :-). BTW, how were you holding your mouth when you shot them? That may have something to do with it too.

..........Buckshot

beagle
08-31-2005, 02:54 PM
Rick...had my pipe in my mouth. Might have given a little stability down range and maybe compensated for some of the torge. What you think?/beagle

...........Nope. Can't elaborate, expand or expound. MY OWN theory, until someone can prove it's NOT the short neck :-). BTW, how were you holding your mouth when you shot them? That may have something to do with it too.

..........Buckshot