PDA

View Full Version : Duh!

LynC2
12-15-2013, 06:35 PM
Have you ever had one of the moments; WTH and then DUH? Well I did today. I just recently bought an old Ideal 4 cavity mold at a good price (311466) and had to try it out. I've always been a big fan of the Loverin design even if they can be temperamental at times to get a good cast. Anyway after cleaning it well and doing a hot plate warm up I proceeded. The first couple of casts were wrinkled, no problem as I just need to warm it up a bit. After a couple of more it started producing decent boolits. After about an hour I started seeing some wrinkles again; OK I just need to cast a bit faster now. Well, that didn't work as they proceeded to get even worse. Then the DUH moment: I looked at my old Saeco pot and noticed I had inadvertently brushed the temperature setting and it was now at 400. So, DUH! Anyway all is well and I have some new boolits to play with and even PP until someone produces a .30 PP mold. 90619

Cherokee
12-15-2013, 08:06 PM
Nice looking boolits. I've had a few DUH moments myself...

RickinTN
12-15-2013, 08:09 PM
I had one of those moments not long ago. I unplugged my hotplate to plug something else in and for a few minutes thought my hotplate had "bit the dust", but all was well with a little 'lectricity.
Rick

JSAND
12-15-2013, 08:10 PM
Yes Sir, I do like those boolits, I don't have one of those in the .30 have had my eye out for one for a while, have missed a few at descent prices, so keep looking I will. I got hooked on them with my .243. Good looking bunch of boolits. I may be wrong but seems like I remember seeing a mould in an old group buy that had an option for at least 1 cavity to be designed as PP or I could be thinking wrong and it was just PB & GC. Anyway, enjoy shooting those.

Kraschenbirn
12-15-2013, 08:21 PM
Great boolit!! I've got an Ideal DC and my old Savage 340 (.30-30) absolutely loves it.

Bill

Larry Gibson
12-15-2013, 08:37 PM
I see the "U" in front of "311466". That is the same as my 4 cavity. What alloy are you using and what are yours "as cast"?

With #2 alloy of 80/20 lino/lead my 4 cavity drops as cast at .3115. My regular 311466 Ideal 2 cavity will drop as cast with those alloys at .313+.

Nice find on that mould BTW. I've found the 311466 to be an excellent bullet for HV loads.

Larry Gibson.

rintinglen
12-15-2013, 10:59 PM
I got one of NOE's 4 cavity copies and it is a dandy. I have a 2 cavity Lyman also. The only Louverin boolit that has not worked well for me is the 311-467. For some reason, that just won't group well in my old Springfield Sporter. My favorite is the 311-465, but the 311-466 works just as well. They work great in my 30-30's. 17.5 grains or 2400 is my chicken, pig, and Turkey load.

LynC2
12-16-2013, 01:11 PM
I see the "U" in front of "311466". That is the same as my 4 cavity. What alloy are you using and what are yours "as cast"?

With #2 alloy of 80/20 lino/lead my 4 cavity drops as cast at .3115. My regular 311466 Ideal 2 cavity will drop as cast with those alloys at .313+.

Nice find on that mould BTW. I've found the 311466 to be an excellent bullet for HV loads.

Larry Gibson.

Larry, it is dropping them at .310 with my alloy of 3 COWW/1 LINO and enough 95-5 solder added to give me approximately 2% tin in the mix. They are averaging about 154.8 grs. I plan to give them a try in my Palma rifle with a RPA action and 1x13 twist Obermeyer barrel. Hopefully I don't have to neck turn the cases as it has a pretty tight chamber.
Lyn

pdawg_shooter
12-16-2013, 02:33 PM
IMHO the Loverin design are the perfect paper patch bullet. No "bore riding nose" to slump or distort under acceleration. Just patch to the first groove and you are ready to go. All my bore riders molds have been lapped out on the nose section so when I size down to correct diameter the entire bullet gets sized.

LynC2
12-16-2013, 06:57 PM
IMHO the Loverin design are the perfect paper patch bullet. No "bore riding nose" to slump or distort under acceleration. Just patch to the first groove and you are ready to go. All my bore riders molds have been lapped out on the nose section so when I size down to correct diameter the entire bullet gets sized.

That's good to know. Now I need to fire up my lathe and make myself a .301 sizing die to try it out. :p

detox
12-17-2013, 12:08 AM
I have done that before. I need to fabricate a mounting bracket to hold my casting thermometer when ladle casting. Just laying it in pot will cause it to float and get in the way of casting.

Shuz
12-17-2013, 09:04 PM
Speaking of "duh" moments......I recently had one with my new RCBS Pro-Melt furnace. I plugged it in to start my casting session just like I had done many times with my Lyman and SAECO furnaces over the past 50 years. The furnace finally heated up to temperature.................. after I turned the on/off switch to the ON position! Beat that one for "dumbness"!

Treetop
12-17-2013, 09:15 PM
Speaking of "duh" moments......I recently had one with my new RCBS Pro-Melt furnace. I plugged it in to start my casting session just like I had done many times with my Lyman and SAECO furnaces over the past 50 years. The furnace finally heated up to temperature.................. after I turned the on/off switch to the ON position! Beat that one for "dumbness"!

Shuz, that happened to me so many times that I finally wrote "On" and "Off" beside the rocker switch on my two Pro Melts! For some reason those switch positions just don't look right to me... Tt.