PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 1894 Feeding Problem

Pirate69
12-15-2013, 02:46 PM
I have a Marlin 1894 in 44 mag. It does not want to feed from the mag tube. The round is not pushed straight back when the lever is worked. It comes out of the tube with an angle towards the top and binds everything. Once the lever screw is taken out and the lever has so play, the round will pop straight back. Does not appear that the tube is binding the round. Any ideas what is going on? Think the carrier is not dropping down far enough and it is wedging the round up? I now have a one-shot wonder.

Salmoneye
12-15-2013, 06:17 PM
My only suggestion is to post this at MarlinOwners.com, and see if they can help...

I have an 1894, but have never had it apart farther than the lever and bolt out...

Skipper
12-15-2013, 06:34 PM
1 Tighten the loading gate screw (don't break it)

2. http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/jams-all-kinds/

Pirate69
12-16-2013, 06:25 PM
Thanks Skipper. The screw was about 1/2 turn loose. Seems to have solved the problem.

edler7
12-16-2013, 07:16 PM
One of the best pieces of advice for an 1894 I found on that forum was blue loctite every screw on the receiver. The screws tend to work loose with shooting and transport. Loctite keeps 'em where they belong, and stops a lot of problems before they start.

Be sure and use BLUE, not Red.

Duckiller
12-17-2013, 05:30 PM
Talk to Marlin! I have one that wouldn't feed right. Brought it home from hunting and the range several times with rounds in the magazine. LGS fixed it several times. Last time I loaded it in the store ( clerk was nervious) and tried to unload it. Jammed. Clerk tool it back and sent to Marlin (it was still Marlin at the time) and I have had no problem since. Now that Remington has bought Marlin you may want to talk to their customer service people before you send it to them.

Firebricker
12-19-2013, 11:08 PM
Pirate gave you some sound advise. When I first got mine I had the same problem when I realised it was a loose loading gate screw I could not believe that was it. When it happened again blue loc-tighted all screws one at a time. And since I had other stuff to order I put an extra load gate screw on the list just in case. Best to be prepared. FB

Salmoneye
12-20-2013, 04:20 PM
Ayuh...

I'm ashamed that the gate screw did not occur to me, as I have had it happen on my 1894S...

:oops: