PDA

View Full Version : Size your tumble-lube bullets..???

Guido4198
12-15-2013, 12:19 PM
I've been using a LEE 410TL. Tumble-lubing "as-cast", and not getting great results in a .41 mag T/C Contender. I was wondering if anyone runs tumble-lube bullets through a sizer before lubing them..??
Thanks.

btroj
12-15-2013, 12:20 PM
Size them after lubing.

HiVelocity
12-15-2013, 12:24 PM
Guido,

You should really try powder coating them. I've yet to see anyone here noting any type of leading using the PC in lieu of lube.

HV

JSAND
12-15-2013, 01:19 PM
I cast, lube, size and then lube again when tumble lubing.

Larry Gibson
12-15-2013, 02:16 PM
Might try reading and following Lee's directions with LLA. I've used 2 Lee TL moulds (TL410-175-SWC & TL410-210-SWC) for years in several different S&W and Ruger .41s. I've always sized them after lubing if using LLA and a Lee sizer. For some time I've just been sizing and lubing in a .410 H&I die in the Lyman 450. BAC or a NRA 50/50 lube is used. Either way the sized bullets are more accurate.

Larry Gibson

Recluse
12-15-2013, 03:48 PM
Lube, size, lube, load, shoot.

I size every single boolit I cast because it is one more way for me to add and ensure as much consistency to the overall process of manufacturing my own ammo as possible.

:coffee:

ultramag
12-15-2013, 04:00 PM
I size mine before TL'ing so I don't have to coat twice. No issues with doing so. Every once in a while depending on how much sizing is taking place I'll rub a little Imperial sizing die wax on a boolit to help them through. No leading or anything else occurring in the Lee sizer and boolits just as uniform as when I used to TL them first.

I used to shoot a lot as cast too. The first time a pushed some Lee TL452-230-TC's through a sizing die and loaded and compared with as cast boolits the groups were half the size with the sized boolits. I've sized everything since and agree it makes them more accurate.

saphelps
12-15-2013, 04:58 PM
I haven't been lubing mine before going through sizer ... until today.

Somehow, wedged a bullet and there was no getting it out. After many ideas and tapping with a dowel and drill bit breaking off, I had to melt it out.

I had the one oddball size issue, and it bit me. Not sure if even lube would have helped but it was the one thing I haven't done and won't know until it happens again with a lubed one.

tomf52
12-15-2013, 05:08 PM
I prelube the bullets before sizing with Hornady One Shot in a cookie sheet Very sparingly at that. Lay the batch on a turkish towel and give them a quick rub after sizing and then tumble lube in the regular manner, either straight LLA or 60/40/10.

runfiverun
12-15-2013, 05:33 PM
you could try the two coat method.
thin coats.
cut the lla with some mineral spirits and heat both the lube and boolits up.

when you are done with that and you still have leading, you need to really look the throat of that T/C over and decide on a better throat filling boolit.
the t/c's have a pretty big gap you need to get across.

dondiego
12-15-2013, 05:41 PM
He didn't say he was getting leading, just not the "results he would like". I assumed accuracy issues.

C. Latch
12-15-2013, 05:50 PM
I have 'lubed' bullets with a drop or three of olive oil, then sized them, then properly lubed them with something else. A very few drops of olive oil will coat many bullets with just enough lube to let them go through the sizing die easily.

bangerjim
12-15-2013, 06:07 PM
I agree with HiVelocity......and many dozens and dozens of other on here. PC is the real way to get excellent results and no leading. Many thousands of rounds have been shot by members on here to prove it.

I used to do the 45/45/10 dance, but after going to PC, the grease is a thing of the past!

banger

prs
12-15-2013, 10:49 PM
I seem to be more efficient of time if I just run the bullets through the lube sizer with traditional lube as I load; lube a hundred, load a hundred, repeat.

prs

blikseme300
12-15-2013, 11:22 PM
For pistol I just run the boolits through a Star which is much faster than PC will ever be. Accuracy is not dependent on coating and the grease problem is a myth.

I do use 45-45-10 on RD boolits as these are designed for TL and this combination is accurate with no leading. I apply a light spray of lanolin-alcohol mix prior to seating the GC's to ease the sizing after which the TL is applied.

trixter
12-16-2013, 10:23 AM
I shoot 45ACP, and I cast Lee TL 200 SWC. I let them age at least two weeks and then I tumble them with LLA, spread them on a wax paper covered cookie sheet, let them dry for a couple of days, or if I am in a hurry, I will put a fan on them for about 3 hours, then size them through the Lee push through sizer, them re tumble and let dry again. It really isn't all that time consuming as I do many other things during the drying cycles.

prs
12-16-2013, 03:32 PM
trixter, why should we wait at least 2 weeks before the initial tumble? Would the boolits not age properly if already coated? I some times cast, lube-size, and load in one day and let them age in the finished rounds before shooting. May have to change my errant ways.

prs

beex215
12-16-2013, 04:18 PM
i sized without lubing. no leading of the die either. i them use a double coat of alox once the first coat tries.

catman81056
12-16-2013, 09:15 PM
I just got back into casting after giving it up 20yrs ago. I was all set to do the Hi-Tek lube thing, bought a brand new convection oven and was going to call Donnie that Friday. Then I read the post by Recluse about the 45/45/10. It sounded so simple and inexpensive compared to the Hi Tek and it works. Good accuracy and no leading. For what I'm shooting I'll just stick with the TL process, lube, size, lube.