PDA

View Full Version : Used the pot to smelt

pearcetopher
12-15-2013, 03:32 AM
Hi guys

I have the pro 4 20 pot and I used to use it for smelting long before I knew any better. Needless to say when my pot is empty there are large shards of yellow and red sandy junk that has collected around the bottom of my pot. Scraping with a screwdriver seems to loosen it but there's no way of getting it all.

Also some of that junk ends up in a few bullets, ruining my day. How do I get this thing cleaned properly? It's turned into a lee drip 0 matic!

I was thinking I could give it a real good clean, then tape the bottom spout and spray high heat paint on the inside to stop the sulfur build ups from sticking, what do you guys think ?

9w1911
12-15-2013, 04:00 AM
sounds like lead oxide be careful very toxic

Guido4198
12-15-2013, 06:52 AM
I wouldn't put any kind of paint in the pot.
As already pointed out...PROTECT YOURSELF while you're cleaning out whatever it is that has attached to the interior of your pot.
After you're done all you can with the screwdriver....and whatever other tools you find that will work to do the chipping away...you might try a power drill with some rough steel wool wrapped around a drill bit to get the rest of it. Use successively more fine grades to polish the interior out to the original bare metal. Polish the end of the drop-rod, AND the beveled hole and you'll improve the dripping situation markedly.
HUGE P.I.A., but with time and patience, it worked for me.

cbrick
12-15-2013, 08:34 AM
Use a wire wheel with the drill motor.

Rick

6bg6ga
12-15-2013, 08:43 AM
Use a mask or respirator

ubetcha
12-15-2013, 08:46 AM

Rick

+1 about using wire wheel. But ABSOLUTELY be sure to wear eye protection and a proper respirator.

Sasquatch-1
12-15-2013, 09:13 AM
You may want to go to the hardware store and buy a tub of plumber's flux. I have some of this and use it when casting. Put a small infants spoon full in the mix. The pot seems to be quite a bit cleaner when I dump it when finished. You may still need the wire wheel to get out the stubborn stuff. Valve grinding cream works well in the spout but need to be cleaned out very well.

Dusty Bannister
12-15-2013, 09:37 AM
This is in the archives and is a safer method that you might want to consider.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?217520-Cleaning-out-a-Lee-20-lb-Bottom-pour-pot&highlight=cleaning+lee+casting+pot

Just a simple word search of the archives, but I do not know if it is a "stickie".
Dusty

JSAND
12-15-2013, 09:41 AM
Wire wheel with the drill worked for me. I don't think I would put any paint to it, like Guido4198 stated. As others stated wear eye pro and respirator and obviously do in a well ventilated area. It will create a lot of dust.

Shiloh
12-15-2013, 10:23 AM

Rick

Use a mask or respirator

Good advice.

I have done this with range scrap. The lead is soaked is soapy water for a few days, rinsed and dried.
All the shotgun wads, rock, and other debris is picked out. this minimalizes the crud at the bottom of the pot.

Shiloh

Trelan
12-15-2013, 10:38 AM
I wouldn't mess with it if you believe that it is going to be that toxic. Just order a new bowl from Lee and retire the old one as an emergency backup.

bhn22
12-15-2013, 10:45 AM
Disassemble the pot, take the bowl itself to a local machine ship and have them bead blast it. Take it home and wash it out with soap and water to remove the glass dust. Let dry thoroughly before reassembling.

If you decide to go the wire brush route, use a shop vac with a HEPA filter to deal with the dust as you go.

Miller
12-15-2013, 10:52 AM
I wouldn't mess with it if you believe that it is going to be that toxic. Just order a new bowl from Lee and retire the old one as an emergency backup.

I would go this route.

cbrick
12-15-2013, 10:58 AM

As with anything in casting using common sense and basic precautions there is nothing to worry about. If you don't use common sense and basic precautions it's a different story.

The warnings in this thread are nothing more than reminders to use common sense and basic precautions.

Rick

pearcetopher
12-15-2013, 11:52 AM
well now you guys have got me worried, I can think of about 4 or 5 times I have done the screwdriver chipping method standing over the pot with no sort of breathing or eye protection. I can never remember tasting any of the dust but now I am very worried,

do I have a reason to be worried now?

cbrick
12-15-2013, 12:04 PM
do I have a reason to be worried now?

Doubtful, big difference in making chips and making dust. One time like that is pretty minor anyway, it's accumulation over time that would/could eventually get ya.

Lead is not radioactive, it cannot jump out and get you. It is not laying in wait for you. You pretty much need to eat it to get it into you. Breathing dust could accumulate in the lungs but if you wear a mask and do it outside with a even a minor breeze there's very little to worry about. In other words, use common sense and basic precautions.

Rick

longbow
12-15-2013, 12:27 PM
What cbrick said.

I work for a large lead smelter and am surrounded by lead every day. Hundred of tons of lead and they won't even sell it to me!

Anyway, it is actually difficult to get lead into your system and inhalation or ingestion are the two main entrances.

Wear a respirator to keep dust out of your mouth, nose and lungs and wash your hands before eating or smoking. We used to get guys getting leaded due to smoking when it was legal to smoke in the plants. They would have lead/lead oxides on their hands then be handling cigarettes and putting them in their mouths and smoking the contaminated cigarette. Great way to get lead into your system. Also, snacking while you are handling lead is bad because little bits of oxides or metallics get on your fingers then into you mouth.

I hear this somewhere recently (cbrick) but if you are "using common sense and basic precautions there is nothing to worry about". The man speaks the truth!

Oh, also, lead is actually radioactive but not very much. For the electronics/computer industry we produce what is called low alpha lead which has almost no radioactivity left. Again, not to worry ~ bananas are radioactive and lima beans are radioactive. In fact much of what is around you is at least somewhat radioactive.

Longbow

pearcetopher
12-15-2013, 12:45 PM
Feel much better now

cbrick
12-15-2013, 01:30 PM
I can think of about 4 or 5 times I have done the screwdriver chipping method standing over the pot with no sort of breathing or eye protection.

If you get it in your eyes you will not die of lead poisoning. Think of the common sense part, you are doing something that in all probability is going to generate small chips and pieces, while lead poisoning may not do you in through your eyes I'd be willing to bet that it won't feel very good. It's always common sense to use eye protection when doing any kind of power grinding etc.

Rick

btroj
12-15-2013, 01:57 PM
Rick, any idea what the orifice diameter is on the RCBS? Mine has a bit of a drip after 20 plus year of use and I want to try a good cleaning before I see about getting a new liner and orifice.

cbrick
12-15-2013, 02:38 PM
Rick, any idea what the orifice diameter is on the RCBS? Mine has a bit of a drip after 20 plus year of use and I want to try a good cleaning before I see about getting a new liner and orifice.

:hijack:

Not off hand, I could count on my fingers the drips my RCBS pot has had since the early 80's. Drain it and use a torch to completely clear the spout, then use the largest drill bit turning very slowly that will fit through the hole. Then use valve grinding compound to seat the stem. Shouldn't need any new parts, just some maintenance & TLC.

Rick

btroj
12-15-2013, 02:44 PM
Mine seems to have a buildup where the stem seats into the spout. It does drip, drives me nuts, but it is still a vast improvement over my Lee.

I suppose I should spend a day and take a hard look at it. No better time than now when casting is slowed by temps.

montana_charlie
12-15-2013, 03:07 PM
I can think of about 4 or 5 times I have done the screwdriver chipping method standing over the pot with no sort of breathing or eye protection.
I just oil everything down before 'chipping' or 'wire brushing'.
Nothing 'blows around' to be ingested or inhaled, and it all gets flushed into a hole in the ground at the end.

CM

bangerjim
12-15-2013, 06:43 PM
What cbrick said.

I work for a large lead smelter and am surrounded by lead every day. Hundred of tons of lead and they won't even sell it to me!

Anyway, it is actually difficult to get lead into your system and inhalation or ingestion are the two main entrances.

Wear a respirator to keep dust out of your mouth, nose and lungs and wash your hands before eating or smoking. We used to get guys getting leaded due to smoking when it was legal to smoke in the plants. They would have lead/lead oxides on their hands then be handling cigarettes and putting them in their mouths and smoking the contaminated cigarette. Great way to get lead into your system. Also, snacking while you are handling lead is bad because little bits of oxides or metallics get on your fingers then into you mouth.

I hear this somewhere recently (cbrick) but if you are "using common sense and basic precautions there is nothing to worry about". The man speaks the truth!

Oh, also, lead is actually radioactive but not very much. For the electronics/computer industry we produce what is called low alpha lead which has almost no radioactivity left. Again, not to worry ~ bananas are radioactive and lima beans are radioactive. In fact much of what is around you is at least somewhat radioactive.

Longbow

Well......for all you "doubting worrying Thomases" out there, we now know there is still lead being prouced in NA even though Doe Run is shut!!!!!

Yippppeeeeeeeeee.............[smilie=w:

longbow
12-15-2013, 11:57 PM
We produce 90,000 tons per year so yup, lead is still being produced in North America. In fact I am working on a project to modernize our lead refinery so that should keep us competitive.

Longbow

SODAPOPMG
12-16-2013, 01:23 AM
I use the bead blast method to clean my pot every year after casting season no mater how clean your alloy is their is always some crud built up in the pot.
just take the valve rod out of the pot cover everything with some plastic wrapping and tape, i use some 1mil stuff that is sold in hardware stores,
leave the top of the pot open and the spout open at the bottom use fine glass bead inside a cabinet that has a vacuum system, blast the inside of the pot and blast the spout hole until all the buildup is gone then blast the valve rod clean, this will leave the surfaces with a slight texture so assemble the valve system then give the top of the valve rod a light tap (about as hard as you would need to crack a pecan)to reform the seat, oil and put away until next time

weweber3
12-20-2013, 10:25 PM
Hi guys

I have the pro 4 20 pot and I used to use it for smelting long before I knew any better.

Please explain.

I am a newbie.

btroj
12-20-2013, 10:31 PM
Smelting in the casting pot is a good way to get junk in the casting pot. Best thing to do is smelt in a separate pot of some sort to keep the casting pot as clean as possible.

weweber3
12-20-2013, 10:32 PM
Bummer, looks like I am in the same boat as pearcetopher.

Is it THAT big of a deal?

btroj
12-20-2013, 11:05 PM
It only matters when it does.

You can play Russian roulette for a while and never lose but when you do.........

weweber3
12-20-2013, 11:08 PM
Wow... no idea that this poor decision could kill me.

Seriously, what ends up happening? Does this take 100 uses? 500?

454PB
12-20-2013, 11:17 PM
To clean my Lee pots, I remove the metering rod and plug the spout from the outside with a snug fitting nail. I then place it on a concrete floor and fill it within an inch of the top with water and plug it in. As soon as I see that it's going to boil, I unplug it. Let it sit until cool, then dump it out. It does a good cleaning and eliminates the dust hazards.

btroj
12-20-2013, 11:20 PM
It may never be a problem. Why take a chance? I don't want to risk making my pot drip or getting grunge in my bullets. I use lots of range scrap and don't want all that dirt and stuff in my casting pot.

Smelting pots tend to gather lots of grunge and dirt, my casting pot doesn't need that.

BNE
12-20-2013, 11:39 PM
To clean my Lee pots, I remove the metering rod and plug the spout from the outside with a snug fitting nail. I then place it on a concrete floor and fill it within an inch of the top with water and plug it in. As soon as I see that it's going to boil, I unplug it. Let it sit until cool, then dump it out. It does a good cleaning and eliminates the dust hazards.

Interesting. Thanks.

BNE
12-20-2013, 11:57 PM

I'm in the same boat. I sorted and then smelted all of the wheel weights I could get my hands on over a few weeks. I then emptied and cleaned my pot with a stainless brush. (Using common sense precautions.) So far no problems, but I hope to get a pot specifically for smelting.

pearcetopher
12-22-2013, 04:04 AM
ok so as an update I went and got a p100 respirator and used a drill mounted wire brush and took all the **** outta my pot. Cleaned up real nice and now no more oxide in my bullets, but now a new problem has arisen, its a non stop drip factory. I tried jamming lots of things up the spout to clear the plug but nothing works. Its dripping so fast I can almost pour my 6 cavity molds with it. I am an unhappy camper, anyone know if it can be cleaned another way?

DRNurse1
12-22-2013, 06:28 AM
+1 about using wire wheel. But ABSOLUTELY be sure to wear eye protection and a proper respirator.

...outdoors and stay upwind of your work. Good Luck!

Late to the show, missed your last post. May have to enlarge the metering rod...bead of weld then polish or peen and polish, not sure which is better.

Down South
12-22-2013, 11:15 AM

Rick
Well Rick, it appears that I am following you around this morning with the same ideas that you have.
I use a wire wheel driven by a cordless drill. It gets the pot nice and clean. Do not paint the inside of your pot.
I use a drill bit the same size of the spout hole to clean the spout with.

imashooter2
12-22-2013, 11:38 AM
ok so as an update I went and got a p100 respirator and used a drill mounted wire brush and took all the **** outta my pot. Cleaned up real nice and now no more oxide in my bullets, but now a new problem has arisen, its a non stop drip factory. I tried jamming lots of things up the spout to clear the plug but nothing works. Its dripping so fast I can almost pour my 6 cavity molds with it. I am an unhappy camper, anyone know if it can be cleaned another way?

You probably wire brushed and damaged the valve seat in the pot liner. You can empty it again and try lapping in the seat, or replace the pot side of the valve. It is available from Lee for nominal cost.

imashooter2
12-22-2013, 11:40 AM

The crud gets in the valve and causes leaking. There is no definitive number for how much scrap cleaning you can do before you get crud in the valve and it leaks.

Down South
12-22-2013, 11:57 AM
It's hard to diagnose some problems from a keyboard. I have lapped the valve seat before to stop drips.
I clamp a set of vice grips to valve handle to give it just a tad more seating weight. That seems to help on drip problems as well.
Usually it is trash stuck to the seat area that causes the drips.

AlaskanGuy
12-22-2013, 12:20 PM
Get the pot good and hot and scrape as much gunk as you can out.... Then i used a tiny wooden dowel to ream out anything left in the valve area... But that only works on a hot pot....

All the the troubles can be easily avoided by using a dutch oven and ladle to cast ingots to cast from... Simple, easy, and clean.... Using clean ingots, i cast right on the stove top in the winter... No smoke, and clean... I do all of my fluxing when i make the ingots, and tend to make only about 10 lbs of bollits at a time and cast till its gone, then clean up any debris while the pot is hot.... Keeps thinks nice and clean....

AG

pearcetopher
12-22-2013, 02:11 PM
Can't I unbolt the pouring mechanism and clean it up on the bench ?

imashooter2
12-22-2013, 02:17 PM
Can't I unbolt the pouring mechanism and clean it up on the bench ?

You can take out the rod, the seat is swagged into the pot liner.

pearcetopher
12-22-2013, 03:06 PM
ok I will remove the rod and polish it up and then make sure the seat area is clean

then hopefully no more automatic pour

weweber3
12-22-2013, 03:09 PM
I have a bunch of Cabelas points. I could buy another pro 20 for next to nothing.

Any other price competitive pots to look at outside the Lee?

My current double duty "smelt and cast" Lee 20 isn't drippong too bad. I just spin the rod that plugs the hole... seems to clean it up enough to stop the spigot.

imashooter2
12-22-2013, 06:00 PM
There is a huge price difference between Lee and the next competitor.

Put some lead sash washers behind the wooden knob on the valve linkage and a lot of the drips will go away.

6bg6ga
12-22-2013, 06:02 PM
Real pots don't drip.

Ballisti-cast MarkIV

imashooter2
12-22-2013, 06:12 PM
Real pots don't drip.

Ballisti-cast MarkIV

And for the price, it damn well shouldn't.