PDA

View Full Version : OMG! bullet pullers

beex215
12-14-2013, 07:26 PM
i just received a brand new frankford arsenal puller and put it to use and the cap already broke. it split after trying pull the second bullet. im quite disappointed and have contacted customer service about this and would like to see what they could do for me. im expecting them to take care of their customers.
end rant.

are 223 bullets usually hard to pull?

jonas302
12-14-2013, 07:34 PM
They can be hard to pull because they don't have any weight I pull them with my press and a wire crimper that happens to fit pretty well
with the inertia puller make sure to tighten the cap at every whack against a wood block
Also if factory ammo they may be sealed pushing the pullet in a bit can help break it free

DRNurse1
12-14-2013, 07:37 PM
If you are not trying to save the tip, a case holder and pliers work for me. Just sayin'.

Wayne S
12-14-2013, 07:41 PM
If you are returning it to Mid Way, be sure to get delivery conformation , long story as to why I say this.
If you are trying to pull bullets from military ammo , the best way I've found is to run the bullets through a seating die and re seat the bullet 1/16" to 1/8" or so deeper. This will break the sealant on the bullet and then you can whack away and the bullets should come free

cbrick
12-14-2013, 07:48 PM
If you are not trying to save the tip, a case holder and pliers work for me. Just sayin'.

Bullet pullers have tips?

Rick

Cherokee
12-14-2013, 08:29 PM
For jacketed bullets I use the RCBS pullers, impact I use for CB's only.

JSAND
12-14-2013, 11:41 PM
I have found what Cherokke stated to be a good rule to follow.

geargnasher
12-14-2013, 11:45 PM
I broke one too. If the cap gets loose after the first whack, and it will, it hammers the threads and splits the cap.

Gear

wistlepig1
12-15-2013, 12:23 AM
Well I am glade to hear that I am not the only one that didn't tighten the cap on each strike. &^%^&[smilie=b:

Cherokee "For jacketed bullets I use the RCBS pullers, impact I use for CB's only." yes!
I use a Forster, collet type on J word

Frosty Boolit
12-15-2013, 08:00 AM
I may draw some fire this but I have not thought a single frankford arsenal product I have tried is very high in quality. I have an RCBS inertia puller that has disassembled many hundreds of rounds.

Newtire
12-15-2013, 09:03 AM
I had an older RCBS puller with an aluminum shaft handle with a plastic grip. I couldn't get it to work using wood to whack it on so used the concrete. After using it for over 20 years, the grip split. I bought 2-new RCBS inertia pullers with the all-plastic handle and they both broke using the concrete (which you are not supposed to do-I read later). The head part just broke right off the same way. Found the best thing to hit those on was a lead brick. I'll have to contact RCBS I guess.

44man
12-15-2013, 09:36 AM
Been using the hammer puller for years. I use the end of a 4"x8" hunk of oak to strike on. Many lighter hits works better then slamming it as hard as you can.

dondiego
12-15-2013, 11:32 AM
Don't whack them on a concrete or brick surface either. Use only wood. Ask me how I know that.

cbrick
12-15-2013, 11:42 AM
Ask me how I know that.

Ok, how do you know that? :?:

Rick

Kent Fowler
12-15-2013, 12:36 PM
I use the end of a two and a half foot piece of 4x4. Works pretty well.

saphelps
12-15-2013, 12:39 PM
My granddaughter (3 yr old) came into garage and said, "Papa, I want to help." Who ever turns down help?

Loaded the puller with some dummy casts I was using to set OAL and crimp. Showed her how to hit the wood step (table was way to high) and she tap tap tap and nothing so I showed her how to hit harder. After a few more taps, I told her to try it on the concrete floor.

Popped a bullet, handed the puller to "Papa" since she knew not to touch the lead and reloaded another. More tap tap tap on the concrete and told me she can't do it. Told her to hit it harder and she can. BAM on the side and poor girl cracked the neck. She got upset so I took it, gave her a hug. "I'll buy you one for Christmas, Papa."

Took her to Cabelas, never bought anything, came home, and finished up with the RCBS bullet puller. She won't let me pull the press handle. That's her job. Now to get her to hold the pull of handle until fingers are out of the way...

Ok, not related, but had to share the story.

Before anyone calls child services, she has her own tiny gloves and wears her kids shooting glasses. I'll give her a few more years and soon I may be watching tv while reloads are going on in the garage LOL

Charlie Two Tracks
12-15-2013, 12:39 PM
I had a Dillon inertia bullet puller and after a couple of years the handle broke off. The was enough room left on the puller to clamp a vice grips on and I used it for another year. I've got to get a new puller before too long.

rattletrap1970
12-15-2013, 06:44 PM
I have a Collet puller that I believe I got from Sinclair. I use it in an auxiliary press that I have on the bench for odd jobs. I never liked the kinetic pullers.

wistlepig1
12-16-2013, 12:04 AM
Saphelps,

Sound like you have a good helper, nice story!

Hang Fire
12-16-2013, 12:46 AM
I had a RCBS inertia puller that bottom split on over 20 years ago. I epoxied a piece of PVC pipe (with a window cut out) in place and it had worked like a champ. Until I gave it to my neighbor and he busted it beyond repair on the first whack

fatelk
12-16-2013, 10:49 AM
Good to know, I'll have to start being more careful with mine. I have an older one (aluminum handle) that I have beat the daylights out of on concrete for 20 years, many hundreds of rounds. I figured it was indestructible. :)

dondiego
12-16-2013, 10:53 AM
Ok, how do you know that? :?:

Rick

Mine was working great until I decided to hit something more solid like a brick. The brick won. The plastic body flew into several pieces. I replaced it and have only used it on wood since and everything has been OK since.

beex215
12-16-2013, 04:15 PM
i found it is much easier to pull cast bulllloets than jwords. jwords can take up to 3 very hard hits and cast can be done in one hit.

i just got an email from battenfileds, that they will send me something in the mail in a week or so. i dont know if its a cap or a whole new puller. im glad they are doing the right thing.

dondiego
12-16-2013, 04:42 PM
Good to know, I'll have to start being more careful with mine. I have an older one (aluminum handle) that I have beat the daylights out of on concrete for 20 years, many hundreds of rounds. I figured it was indestructible. :)

Mine had an aluminum handle. Think it might have been RCBS but not certain.

country gent
12-16-2013, 07:38 PM
Ive used the RCBS inertia puller for many years with decent results. Dont use it real often though. I cut a piece of oak tree trunk roughly 18"-2' in dia around 18" tall to use as an "anvil for it and other hammering needs. This block is very solid sitting on the floor and dosnt give alot, especially now after many years of curing out. How you hit the hammer type makes a big diffrence on getting bullets pulled. Lighter bullets dont have the momentum to carry them through as well as heavy bullets. Try letting the hammer "bounce up" on the blow.

dnepr
12-17-2013, 08:38 AM
I have one of the aluminum handled ones also , had it over 20 years , replaced one o-ring for the 3peice collet , other than that the thing seems indestructible . I usually hit an old cinder block with it . Everyone says that the 3 piece collet sucks and to use shell holders but I still use the collet and it seems to work good. I guess I lucked out and got a good one ,

randy_68
12-17-2013, 04:58 PM
My granddaughter (3 yr old) came into garage and said, "Papa, I want to help." Who ever turns down help?

Loaded the puller with some dummy casts I was using to set OAL and crimp. Showed her how to hit the wood step (table was way to high) and she tap tap tap and nothing so I showed her how to hit harder. After a few more taps, I told her to try it on the concrete floor.

Popped a bullet, handed the puller to "Papa" since she knew not to touch the lead and reloaded another. More tap tap tap on the concrete and told me she can't do it. Told her to hit it harder and she can. BAM on the side and poor girl cracked the neck. She got upset so I took it, gave her a hug. "I'll buy you one for Christmas, Papa."

Took her to Cabelas, never bought anything, came home, and finished up with the RCBS bullet puller. She won't let me pull the press handle. That's her job. Now to get her to hold the pull of handle until fingers are out of the way...

Ok, not related, but had to share the story.

Before anyone calls child services, she has her own tiny gloves and wears her kids shooting glasses. I'll give her a few more years and soon I may be watching tv while reloads are going on in the garage LOL

Sounds like my house. My grandkids always want to help so I let them pull the handle a few times and then they're happy. Al least they take an interest in reloading and shooting.

fredj338
12-17-2013, 05:29 PM
IMO, FA makes some pretty crappy stuff. Buy better, it will last longer. I have an RCBS form about 20yrs ago, still works after several bushing replacements. Use a piece of outdoor carpet on the concrete, works great.

Mike Hughes
12-18-2013, 08:54 AM
I have used this RCBS puller for about 5 or 6 years. It did not hold up to some heavy crimped 44 mag. This happened a few months ago, I had taken a picture to email to RCBS, hoping they might just send a new one. No such luck, had to be shipped back for replacement. I did cut the handle in half and shipped in small box for about $2. They sent a new one. lighter crimps and hammer softly

rintinglen
12-18-2013, 10:10 AM
I use a 3 lb. block of soft lead to pound on. I have 2 FA beaters (surest way to find something is to buy another) that have done pretty well for me. My only observation is that light bullets (under 100 grains) are an even bigger pain in the butt than their larger brethren.

alamogunr
12-18-2013, 10:49 AM
I've been using a Midway(before FA) for several years. I just whack it on my bench top. The top is made from 2' thick electrical grade particle board. I haven't even dented it and the puller is as good as new(I think).

beex215
12-23-2013, 04:39 PM
i got a brand new puller sent from battenfield. I really didnt mind that. all i wanted was a new screw cap.

guncheese
12-24-2013, 01:14 PM
im going to get one of these
http://grip-n-pull.com/
i hate my inertia puller

Dusty Bannister
12-24-2013, 01:29 PM
Post #29, isn't the cartridge in the collet backwards? I use mine with the dome up so that the retaining cap actually tightens the collet around the body of the cartridge below the case rim. And the flat portion of the collet is against the flat part of the "hammer". And it broke?
Dusty

W.R.Buchanan
12-24-2013, 01:38 PM
I have been using the same RCBS puller for the last 30 years. I don't use it every day, but anytime I'm setting up a progressive I use it to recycle components on the setup pieces.

I bet I've hit that thing on the Cement floor at least a thousand times, and probably more.

The harder the surface you hit is the more inertia is transferred to the bullet. IE quicker stop.[smilie=b:

Mine is the older style that has the steel shank in the handle.

I have also pulled some Wolf factory .223's with it, and it usually takes 4-5 hits to dislodge the bullet.

If you are going to pull more than a few bullets you probably need a collet style puller.

The bullet recyclers don't use inertia pullers.

Randy

Smoke4320
12-24-2013, 01:53 PM
Hornady makes the best collet puller I have found .. little expensive but you get want you pay for..adjusted correctly and no pull marks at all.. tried RCBS and Bair. They work but were much slower..
hammer pullers are being made of much less quality today than just a few years ago..
been thru several Midway (franklin) and RCBS in the last couple years.. now if I need to pull more that 5 or 6 it will be with the Hornady

beex215
12-24-2013, 03:55 PM
it is backwards. but i dont see that causing the neck to break like that though.

Shiloh
12-24-2013, 08:22 PM
Get a Hornady collet puller. Jackets or cast??

Shiloh