PDA

View Full Version : Good News For Our Future

jcwit
12-14-2013, 06:41 PM
Here in No. Indiana we've had a heavy snow, well heavy for a 70 yr old with heart problems. Neighbor boys who are around 12 came up to the door asking if they could shovel our walk and drive. Ended up they made some bucks and it was MUCH appreciated.

Seems as if there are still some good kids out their willing to make a buck here and there.

I gave them $20.00 for about 1/2 hours work, you'al think that was fair?

RED333
12-14-2013, 06:52 PM
Sounds fair to me.

Down South
12-14-2013, 06:53 PM
Sounds fair to me. It's good that kids are willing to work, learn something. I remember when I was a kid; I worked on farms, at grocery stores, gas stations and hauled a lot of hay. That was hard work but I learned a lot before I stepped out into the world on my own.

NewbieDave007
12-14-2013, 06:54 PM
I know I would've loved making that much in 1/2 hour, but then again I've never had to shovel a driveway and/or walk.

In the end it sounds fair to me and it also sounds like it was a win-win.

Nice job to you for paying a fair wage and nice job to their parents for raising what sound like good kids.

Czech_too
12-14-2013, 06:58 PM
Heck yeah!
Back when I was that age, 50+ years ago, I would have been ecstatic to get half that amount. So there's still some hope for the younger generations.

cbrick
12-14-2013, 07:06 PM
I used to that all winter every winter, was a great way to make money. I used to do it for .50 cents. $20.00. :holysheep

Rick

Geraldo
12-14-2013, 07:06 PM
Good deal for you and a good lesson for them.

cdet69
12-14-2013, 07:10 PM
I wish someone would show up at my door.

Artful
12-14-2013, 07:12 PM
$40 an hour - not bad - but that's only if doing it by yourself - you had two - I might have given a little more.

if they want to really make money they'll need to move up
http://greenbay.craigslist.org/pts/4235116114.html
http://images.craigslist.org/00j0j_bt3jPKcxtgB_600x450.jpg
http://images.craigslist.org/00a0a_2idvlOFgMPp_600x450.jpg

This is an 8' Snowblower converted from a 3pt tractor PTO to a self contained 302, V8 Driven Blower.

The 302 is a 1995 Carbureted Roller Motor, with a governor to maintain the RPM you set.

The Blower Motor has its' own tach, oil and temp gage mounted on the back of the engine, in plain sight thru windshield.

The Blower Motor is controlled completely from the cab of the truck (Start/Stop/RPM)

The Blower Motor shares the truck battery however the fuel supply and cooling systems are independent.

The Hydraulics are 12V self contained pump/motor (under hood of truck) with Quick Disconnects to the (2) Cylinders.

The Blower is mounted to a '77 F-350 4x4, the truck is not for sale.

The brains/controls for the blower are hooked up with a 4-flat trailer hitch plug.

I built the complete blower a little conservatively with the small block 302, I must say even at 1800rpm (engine speed) this blower absolutely launches snow, even better than anticipated.

I don't think the application would be ideal in a city setting with houses and windows close by, however for the hunting land, when you are out of room to push snow with the plow, it's the ticket.

There's a lot of the logistics that could certainly be done differently to suit your needs including 12V power, fuel or hydraulics. The blower could probably be lifted with a regular plow pump as it only needs about 400psi to lift.

I would potentially include the Blower and Truck Side Wiring Harnesses (and solenoid), Control Panel (on counsel in my truck) the 12V Hydraulic Pump, Reservoir, the cylinders and sq tube with the UHMW poly slides. I plan to keep the Truck and the Bumper.

I'm asking $4900 for the package but I'm willing to work with you if you don't need everything.

Please put some thought into this before calling as this is a Serious Blower.
Call Nine Two Zero 850-0294 between 6:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m.

jcwit
12-14-2013, 07:18 PM
$40 an hour - not bad - but that's only if doing it by yourself - you had two - I might have given a little more.

if they want to really make money they'll need to move up
http://greenbay.craigslist.org/pts/4235116114.html
http://images.craigslist.org/00j0j_bt3jPKcxtgB_600x450.jpg
http://images.craigslist.org/00a0a_2idvlOFgMPp_600x450.jpg

At the age of 12 I doubt they could handle those snowblowers.

shooter93
12-14-2013, 07:25 PM
We did it for nothing. Every elderly or infirmed person in the neighborhood never had to worry. When you were done clearing your parents driveway and walks you were sent to do one of theirs and NOT to accecpt any payment...we were allowed a cookie though. It was like an Army of younger people shoveling the neighborhood. It never hurt a one of us. Now that the sides have turned and I'm the old guy with a big driveway there are no volunteers at any price. I am lucky though that if it's a deep snow I have an older friend with a plow.

dragon813gt
12-14-2013, 07:32 PM
The pay is more than fair. If they did three houses and got paid the same they would have enough for a video game. That is a win win for you and them.

At thirty four I help out the elderly in the neighborhood for free. Shoveled my friends grandmother out on Tuesday. And I'm heading out now to do it again. And will have to go back in the morning as well. Living in town you can always tell who isn't liked. All my neighbors help each other out except for the guy that owns the house I'm unfortunately attached to. All the sidewalks will be shoveled except for his. If he was a little nicer I would take care of it for him when I'm shoveling mine.

jcwit
12-14-2013, 07:36 PM
We did it for nothing. Every elderly or infirmed person in the neighborhood never had to worry. When you were done clearing your parents driveway and walks you were sent to do one of theirs and NOT to accecpt any payment...we were allowed a cookie though. It was like an Army of younger people shoveling the neighborhood. It never hurt a one of us. Now that the sides have turned and I'm the old guy with a big driveway there are no volunteers at any price. I am lucky though that if it's a deep snow I have an older friend with a plow.

I should have noted they asked for nothing.

I offered them the payment after they had already started. It was much appreciated, and payment for a service I think was proper. May be an incentive for the next time.

OBIII
12-14-2013, 07:39 PM
I think you did great JC. Way to foster the spirit in the young.
OB

DRNurse1
12-14-2013, 07:49 PM

I have to run my kids outside to do this for the neighbors. I supply them with shovels, the walk behind snow thrower if there is enough snow, and sand for our neighbors walks. I explain that it is the right thing to do and that the neighbors will continue to do cool things for them, but it is hard for them to see that far into the future. The neat thing is my kids are shoveling today while the Eagle Scout at the bottom of our hill is not. Maybe my guys get it....!

Artful
12-14-2013, 08:34 PM
At the age of 12 I doubt they could handle those snowblowers.

Ah, 12 years old - well then, you paid them well
- and I doubt in the ability of quite a few to have common sense enough to be able to handle the snowblower I put up :smile:

GabbyM
12-14-2013, 09:41 PM
Along the road I live on I could see people digging there more elderly neighbors out. Pretty good group of people.
Fellow across the street brought in a tractor from a couple miles north of town and dug out our driveways. He did that last year once too. $20 wouldn't put a dent in his bill. Gas and tires. Tractors with buckets are hard on tires when they spin in the ice and cut down very fast. I've a JD 4020 with bucket five miles out of town. We only run worn out field tires on it. Use it to pull grain wagons on the road and bucket work. Maintenance on that tractor last year was $850. Which is why you get somber looks from men when you offer them "gas money".

$20 sounds fair for the boys. Not overpaid by any means. If you owned your own implements to do the job it would of cost you more. Even if we were just talking an eight horse power snow blower. Business relationships are always supposed to be a win win for both sides. If you ever see those fellows get in trouble in the future I'd recommend you come forth to put in a good word for them. Since the trend line with energetic young boys is. When they become young teenage men. They put that energy into party mode occasionally. Sometime around the late 1970's it became a crime to have a good time here in America. Personally I barely skipped under the wire.

Most important thing for young boys is encouragement and acceptance in the world of men. Treat a young man like a man and he'll probably start acting like a mature man in short order. Expect then encourage a young man to act like a commie drone zombie and that's what you'll get. AKA Hitler Youth Corps.

My oldest daughter is working on her masters in phyc on the way to doctorate. She is much smarter than her dad. She explained it to me very simply a couple years ago. "You get back what you put forth." This information was response to my answer to her quest. Where she asked. "you always treated us like we could do no wrong. We were Augury. Couldn't you see that?" My response was to laugh out loud. She was already 26 years old and a great person. Then I explained. "you never did anything I never told you not to do. Well maybe a little. But you never broke my heart or disappointed me." And you know that Hank Williams Jr. and I both figure if you don't like my family you can just kiss my ***. "You and me. We don't care what the commies think of us."

Good men are made. Not born.
Goes for daughters too.

Garyshome
12-14-2013, 09:48 PM
I would shovel snow for the old farts...oops....senior citizens but I live in lower NC, doesn't snow much here!

savagetactical
12-14-2013, 09:59 PM
You did right by the lads. I am glad there are kids still willing to do it.

GabbyM
12-14-2013, 10:23 PM
You did right by the lads. I am glad there are kids still willing to do it.

Should not be any surprise. Kids are the same now as they were in 1922.
It's not the kids who have changed it's the parents. Changing that scenario is easier from the bottom up than from the top down.
Which is why Communist usually win until people start to starve off. But by then we are two generations past the commies who stole all the wealth of a society. That would be in our history books BTW. Back in 1972 My HS history teacher tossed me out of class for the remainder of my year. Commies don't like to be argued with. Term back then was "go along to get along".

MaryB
12-14-2013, 11:43 PM
I do the neighbor ladies with my snow blower, I mow for her too. She can't handle being out in the cold and the yard is way to big for the beatup push mower she has

Teddy (punchie)
12-15-2013, 12:08 AM
What I say is this, They did a job and started before the deal was made.
I tell them thanks and keep up the good job. Here's 20 for doing it and
maybe you guys can help someone that doesn't have the money to give
you. For free.

If I pull someone out that was stuck I never take money. I tell them to pass
help along and around is your payment help someone else if you can at no charge.

xs11jack
12-15-2013, 12:53 AM
Yea, I do a bunch of driveways and walks for the elderly, except one. He and his wife have a strange idea about people that do things for them for free. When I first got the snowblower, about every second time I did their driveway he would come out and press money on me. I tried very politely to not take it. He would get a little huffy and sometimes I would take it and give to the church. Not this last year and in the storm we had last nite, he hired someone with a 4wd with a blade on the front. I just wave 'HI' as I see him and do the rest on my dime. Some people are strange!!
Ole Jack

oldgeezershooter
12-15-2013, 01:24 AM
Yea, I do a bunch of driveways and walks for the elderly, except one. He and his wife have a strange idea about people that do things for them for free. When I first got the snowblower, about every second time I did their driveway he would come out and press money on me. I tried very politely to not take it. He would get a little huffy and sometimes I would take it and give to the church. Not this last year and in the storm we had last nite, he hired someone with a 4wd with a blade on the front. I just wave 'HI' as I see him and do the rest on my dime. Some people are strange!!
Ole Jack
There are still some people who believe there is no free lunch!

GabbyM
12-15-2013, 02:07 AM
Ole Jack

Hard to fault people for being socially clumsy.
Don't know how to thank my neighbor for plowing out my drive. Sure do appreciate it though.

Mumblypeg
12-15-2013, 02:19 AM
Ole Jack

I do a lot of things for people for free but when they get like the guy you referred to I have learned to just take the money and don't argue... because they will just pay that money to someone else and most time talk about what a great deal they got. BTW, I will work all day long for $10 an hour.... I'm not that proud.

Bad Water Bill
12-15-2013, 10:02 AM
If you have never shoveled Chicagoland snow you can not understand how hard those young lads actually worked.

To say our snow is heavy is an understatement because it really d^% d heavy.

My friend has been plowing all of his neighbors drives and sidewalks N C for years with his John Deer.

My car needed a tow this spring. When the tow truck dropped it in Dusty's drive the driver said "Thanks for making my day".

His widowed mom is one of the folks Dusty has been plowing for free for the last 20 years so this was his chance to say THANK YOU to Dusty or his friend (me).

You never know when a kind deed will be returned or how.

crawfobj
12-15-2013, 11:26 AM
A quick story from warmer weather that fits the theme.

Last summer I was out on the lake with my family. A very nice ski boat with 10 people on it (6 young men included) flagged us down. They had wrapped their ski rope around their prop and none of the "men" knew what to do. I pulled out a knife and after 10 minutes of diving under the boat had it cut loose. Not once did any of the "men" on the boat get up or offer to help, but the lady who apparently owned the boat did what she could.

I refused the $20 she offered me, but did accept a beer.

I always have a knife in the boat and have given the inexpensive mora knives to friends with boats just in case they (or I) ever need assistance...

I shovele a lot of snow an mowed alot of elderly neighbor yards at "below market" prices (dad's conscripted labor rates). Glad to hear there are still some kids learning to be real men out there.

snowwolfe
12-15-2013, 12:37 PM
Here in No. Indiana we've had a heavy snow, well heavy for a 70 yr old with heart problems. Neighbor boys who are around 12 came up to the door asking if they could shovel our walk and drive. Ended up they made some bucks and it was MUCH appreciated.

Seems as if there are still some good kids out their willing to make a buck here and there.

Very fair, I bet you made their day. And to top it off guess whose house they will be at first during the next storm:)

WILCO
12-15-2013, 12:48 PM

Adjusting for inflation since the last time you shoveled snow for cash, and seeing how it's Christmas season, I'd say you were fair.

myg30
12-15-2013, 01:04 PM
When I was old enough to go around the block by myself or with a neighbor friend, we shoveled snow for $2 and split it. If they had a 2 car driveway and walk way then $4. The elderly folks well we just did their walks for free and if they insisted to give us $ or a hot chocolate we thanked them greatly. The next snow we just did their walks and took off before they saw us.
Im sure the young boys greatly appreciated the money you gave them. All good deeds are returned ten fold ! You may not know it.
I will say that in helping some folks when I was able to, The good lord has looked over me and my family for my good deeds.

Merry Christmas to all, God Bless,

Mike

jcwit
12-15-2013, 01:25 PM
When I was old enough to go around the block by myself or with a neighbor friend, we shoveled snow for $2 and split it. If they had a 2 car driveway and walk way then $4. The elderly folks well we just did their walks for free and if they insisted to give us $ or a hot chocolate we thanked them greatly. The next snow we just did their walks and took off before they saw us.
Im sure the young boys greatly appreciated the money you gave them. All good deeds are returned ten fold ! You may not know it.
I will say that in helping some folks when I was able to, The good lord has looked over me and my family for my good deeds.

Merry Christmas to all, God Bless,

Mike

Is this not the truth! The Lord has also always looked after my wife and I, always seemed we had enough and was grateful for what we had.