PDA

View Full Version : Sights for sore eyes

crabo
11-23-2007, 08:16 PM
A couple nights ago at the range, it was starting to get dark. We didn't want to quit shooting, but my 55 year old eyes were having trouble seeing some of the sights. I have always been sold on fiber optic front sights in the bright daylight, but I didn't realize how much they helped when it starts to get dark. I was shooting a friend 's gun with 3 dot sights. I couldn't see them. I pulled my gun out with the fiber optics and could still see the front sight plainly. What a difference they make.

The other discovery I made was that the yellow lenses extend your daylight shooting time. As I get older, it seems like the end of shooting time comes more quickly than it used to. The yellow lenses somehow work to make it easier to see in the twilight.

Try it, you'll like it.

Crabo

VTDW
11-24-2007, 11:58 AM
The yellow lenses are just awesome, especially for seeing back into the shadows. Here is a great chart to show how the human eye picks up the different spectrums of light. I just cannot see the red optic sights and Williams will install a green optic for the asking at no extra charge.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v354/vtdw1/SightColorChart.gif

felix
11-24-2007, 12:13 PM
Also, a bit more info. A cataract (eye lens) will roll off the blue and red sensitivity. The thicker that lens becomes, the stronger the filtering effect. The graphical effect is a vertical expansion of that graph pictured while keeping the horizontal dimension the same, i.e., the graph becomes much more peaky as the cataract grows. Sooner or later, that lens which is acting as a strong filter will have to be replaced. That is what is called cataract surgery. Just had my right eye done a week ago. Very dramatic improvement, but with one downside. The replacement lens can be seen as a foreign object when the light comes in from the side depending on the angle. The light coming in from the side can be reflections off of your glasses which still might be required. ... felix

VTDW
11-24-2007, 01:16 PM
Felix,

You are purdy darned smart for an Arkie feller. I enjoy your posts sir.:drinks:

Dave