PDA

View Full Version : 2013 best thread

btroj
12-14-2013, 02:12 PM
What was the thread you found most helpful in 2013? What did you learn from it and how did it change how you view the realm of casting, lubing, and shooting lead.

I made a huge change and bit the bullet, so to speak, and tried the Hi-Tek coating. Is totally changed how I view lubing handgun bullets. I need to do much more testing before I commit to a change for rifle loads in most spaces.

I never would have though I would make a change like this.

DRNurse1
12-14-2013, 02:15 PM
Swapping and Selling has sure changed my ....bank balance.

The Wheelgun thread is helping me figure out those crazy tools.

geargnasher
12-14-2013, 02:32 PM
The one about grease and soap.

Gear

foesgth
12-14-2013, 02:38 PM

Gear
A thread about doing the dishes? Come on guys, help us newbies out and put a link.

Thanks

btroj
12-14-2013, 02:41 PM
Look at the "extreme lube quest"

btroj
12-14-2013, 02:43 PM

Gear

Dude, I totally forgot that one. My bad.

Gear, that is something I didn't even think about. I suppose that is because it has consumed much time over a few years?

That thread totally changed my view of lubes, how they work, and what they do. It made my brain hurt at times and showed me how tolerant a wife I have. Somehow I have a feeling it will be on the 2014 list too. Hopefully with a conclusion.

geargnasher
12-14-2013, 02:43 PM
A thread about doing the dishes? Come on guys, help us newbies out and put a link.

Thanks

Here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?148746-quot-Extreme-quot-boolit-lube-The-Quest

Be careful what you ask for. ;)

Gear

btroj
12-14-2013, 02:45 PM
Participate at your own risk. It has been eye opening at the least. There has been almost as much info shared via PM.

Grab a cold one, pull up a chair, and get to reading.

12-14-2013, 03:12 PM
Not one thread in particular, but learned much about 1911 .45 ACP magazine design and function.

Also, discovered a few more members whose posts are worth reading at least twice.

btroj
12-14-2013, 03:25 PM
Yeah, I learned about 1911 mags and those guys a few years a go when I bought my first 1911. I have been fortunate to actually meet one of them a couple times.

Love Life
12-14-2013, 03:31 PM
The cabin fever thread.

btroj
12-14-2013, 03:32 PM
The cabin fever thread.

http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/p733/Btroj/image_zpsa8dce0cb.jpg (http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/Btroj/media/image_zpsa8dce0cb.jpg.html)

Seriously?

.30/30 Guy
12-14-2013, 04:07 PM
I have to vote for the "extreme lube quest".

AlaskanGuy
12-14-2013, 04:45 PM
Why, why, why...lmao... Now your gunna see a whole lot of old thread poppin up for the next month... Now i am gunna have to go back and re-read them all and see what i missed.... I am sure that i will find many that i need to re-read... I refuse to even look at the quest for lube one though.... I made the mistake of reading about the glue bullets amd now my wife has hid the hot glue gun.....

AG

JWFilips
12-14-2013, 04:45 PM
Yes , My vote too........ definitely the "Extreme" boolit lube, The Quest..."

Love Life
12-14-2013, 04:57 PM
Well, in all seriousness it would have to be the roast beef with Yorkshire pudding recipe in the cooking section.

I read a lot, so nothing ground breaking has occurred on the alloy side of the house.
The extreme thread is legit, but once again, nothing groundbreaking for me. Speed green and Lotak covered my needs.

Now the HI-TEK coating is the bomb diggity, and I guess it would be a close runner up to the recipe thread.

ultramag
12-14-2013, 05:16 PM
Well, I know it's kind of a weenie answer, however there is no way I could pick just one. The knowledge I've picked up from this site in the last year is unreal...no way I could pick just one thread. This entire site in general has changed so much about how, what, and how much I shoot and load the last year.

I'm with AG on that "quest for lube" thread. I just can't make myself start reading it. I'm still keeping busy with the more elementary aspects at the moment anyway. I'll get to it eventually I imagine. At least I know it's there so I won't have to start a thread titled "Hey, anyone ever thought about trying anything different with lube?". :bigsmyl2:

Artful
12-14-2013, 06:40 PM
I loved BBQJoe's stuffed pork roast thread!
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?216360-Smoked-Italian-stuffed-pork-roast-How-to-with-pics

runfiverun
12-15-2013, 12:06 AM
well there was one thread [not on this site] it was one I wrote up over a couple of day's elsewhere. [as a favor to the site owner]
it really helped lay out a map of how to get cast boolits to work properly in a semi auto rifle
with velocity and accuracy.
I was gonna clean it all up then cut and paste to re-post it here.
but that just didn't pan out, it did lead to a bunch of pm's from others I linked the thread to before I lost contact with the site.

btroj
12-15-2013, 12:19 AM
That lube quest thread has taken a few years off my life. I have far more appreciation for people who really work with stuff like that where little details can make a huge difference. I didn't put as much effort into it as a couple others with big hats but I feel I contributed where I could.

My sombrero is off to Run and Gear for all they did to make that thread go. I learned a ton from them and the thread.

btroj
12-15-2013, 12:33 AM
well there was one thread [not on this site] it was one I wrote up over a couple of day's elsewhere. [as a favor to the site owner]
it really helped lay out a map of how to get cast boolits to work properly in a semi auto rifle
with velocity and accuracy.
I was gonna clean it all up then cut and paste to re-post it here.
but that just didn't pan out, it did lead to a bunch of pm's from others I linked the thread to before I lost contact with the site.

You and Gear both had a huge amount of great info there. What a shame.

geargnasher
12-15-2013, 01:07 AM
Not all of it is lost. At least not unless my hard drive crashes. I really need to burn those Word files to CD. Sorry, Run, I didn't save any of yours and have been kicking myself for not doing so.

Gear

runfiverun
12-15-2013, 01:18 AM
I'm over it..
I only had a few different write-up's and some additions to your section.
[nothing I can't re-do if I find the time again]
i'm glad you were able to keep your stuff, you had a LOT of it.

the stuff I wrote up in the shot gunning section was a running commentary on load development for a few different specialty loads from scratch.
I have the final loads written down in my log book so no big deal there.

jeez thread drift again..

btroj
12-15-2013, 01:36 AM
Thread drift? I see rumblings, not drift.

Isn't it amazing how much you have learned when you start pouring it out on paper? Scary

MBTcustom
12-15-2013, 01:54 AM
Pearls before swine boys. That, and spilt milk. LOL!
Personally, I have been reading a lot about shooting cast boolits at high velocity, and that has spanned quite a few threads both recent and antiquated. Been a real fun ride, even though I haven't had much chances to shoot this year.

geargnasher
12-15-2013, 02:01 AM
Learn anything yet? [smilie=f:

Gear

MBTcustom
12-15-2013, 09:10 AM
Depends who you ask.
:groner:
There are these two trains of thought. One holds a pitchfork and the other holds a harp. One of them right and the other is wrong, and it has nothing to do with complexion.
I'll let the rifle decide.

oldfart1956
12-15-2013, 09:17 AM
So many great posts and so much wisdom but, hands down, Larry Gibsons post in the Single Shot Rifle Forum entitled "My loads and techniques for the trapdoor." After owning the trapdoor for over 30 years and finding paper plate sized groups with tumbling boolits acceptable...Larry taught me what a trapdoor could do. Now it's silver dollar sized groups at 100yds. and tumbling is a thing of the past. Thank Larry! Audie...the Oldfart..

geargnasher
12-15-2013, 01:16 PM
Depends who you ask.
:groner:
There are these two trains of thought. One holds a pitchfork and the other holds a harp. One of them right and the other is wrong, and it has nothing to do with complexion.
I'll let the rifle decide.

Tim, I think you missed your calling in life. You should have been a politician! :holysheep

I was asking YOU, not them. IDK yet is a perfectly valid answer in my book.

Build a ten-twist '06 and it will shoot what you feed it, no more, no less. Inanimate objects can't make decisions. That is the job of your brain; how the rifle shoots is a reflection of your level of understanding about what you're doing, same as understanding techniques of manipulating metal to a purpose. There are operators and there are craftsmen, same as there are reloaders and there are cast boolit handloaders. As to the angel and and the demon, things may not be what they appear, in fact are probably the opposite. See Bwana's quote in my sig line.

Gear

btroj
12-15-2013, 02:03 PM
Tim, if all we did is accept everything we were told then we would mess around with making new floating reamer holders, would we?

Sometimes we need to see for ourselves. First hand knowledge is so important.

Do some work at higher velocities and see what you can get to work. Make an educated decision then move forward.

runfiverun
12-15-2013, 05:16 PM
Thread drift? I see rumblings, not drift.

Isn't it amazing how much you have learned when you start pouring it out on paper? Scary

I catch myself sometimes when posting wondering if I'm giving the right information or putting stuff out that's over the O/P's head.
or if I'm explaining it In a way they can understand.

J.D's sticky really helped me see things from the new guy's perspective a little better.

but yeah I'm pretty sure I know more about loading/casting than I do about my job.
iv'e only been at my current job for 9 years though.

geargnasher
12-15-2013, 06:39 PM
Maybe one day we should write a book. Right after we get it all figgered out. Nah, ain't gonna happen in this lifetime, at least not the figgerin' out part. Fun to try, though.

Gear

btroj
12-16-2013, 12:18 AM
Hey, you could write a book using posts to from this site...........

TXGunNut
12-16-2013, 01:29 AM
Larry's sticky about RPM thresholds comes to mind but I have picked up so much good info from so many places. The Shiloh pics thread almost cost me a pile of money more than once this year so that comes in a close second.

KYShooter73
12-16-2013, 01:46 AM
I've learned a ton reading on here every day. I have to say the main now 90 page powder coating thread. That is what turned me on to the silver stream, and prompted me to expand from reloading to casting. I've cast about 300 lb of boolits this, my first, year. No way I could have done that without the people here.

Sasquatch-1
12-16-2013, 07:15 AM
2013 best thread has to be the "Face Book Picture" thread with all the hotties. :mrgreen:

jonp
12-16-2013, 10:36 PM
A number of threads have been of great help to me this year but the one im learning a great deal from is how to make your own black powder.

geargnasher
12-16-2013, 10:54 PM
Hey, you could write a book using posts to from this site...........

Heh heh....

Lessee, a plagiarized idea about plagiarism. How original.

Gear

btroj
12-16-2013, 10:59 PM
Heh heh....

Lessee, a plagiarized idea about plagiarism. How original.

Gear

Of course it would require vanity publishing........

Wonder if the mods would approve?