PDA

View Full Version : Lee slug recipe?

Lightning22
11-23-2007, 04:56 PM
I've been casting Lee slugs (1 oz 12g) for a friend to use for practical shotgun, however it turns out he's not too sure of how he's going to load them apart from emptying the shot out of a cartridge and replacing with a slug.

Most hulls available are 2 3/4" Federal or various high brass RC trap hulls.

These will be shot from a smoothbore, probably a Mossburg pump.

Any ideas for primer/powder/wad etc please?

Rich

DMC
11-23-2007, 11:53 PM
Accurate, Alliant and Hodgdon all have loads on their websites. I've tried just about all the published loads and a few that aren't, and my preference is the Alliant powders, either Blue Dot or Herco. Their published loads are very good. Blue Dot gives a little higher velocity. All Alliant recipes use WAA12 wads.

One thing that none of those websites tell you is that with the LEE slug, the wad will sometimes push into the base of the slug despite the Drive Key and become "attached" to the slug for a portion of its flight. This will give erratic accuracy at best. To prevent this, a hard card wad can be inserted in the shotcup under the slug. A 20 Gauge overpowder wad works, I just cut my own from hard gasket stock. It doesn't have to be perfectly round to do the job.

DC

Lightning22
11-24-2007, 04:12 AM
Thank you!

Am I right in thinking that using WAA wads will mean that Winchester AA compression formed hulls will need to be used?

Rich

DMC
11-24-2007, 08:30 AM
No, but your line of thinking is pretty good.

Alliant (http://www.alliantpowder.com) has recipes for Remington and Federal shells as well, both using the WAA12. In the Federal shell, a straight-wall configuration, a wad made for it (a 12S3) would work better, but the two wads are not directly interchangeable.

Hodgdon (http://www.hodgdon.com) uses wads more suitable to the hull, but their loads are a bit on the mild side. Not necessarily a bad thing.

Hope this helps.

DC

Lightning22
11-25-2007, 04:32 PM
Thank you DC.

Looks like we're going to have to find some Herco or Blue Dot, the Hogdon site freezes every time I try and get a recipe from it. I only reload shotshells so have only got Tite Wad and Tite Group at the moment.

Cheers

Rich

BCB
11-25-2007, 05:06 PM
Lightning22,

I just sent you a PM...I can send you Lee data if I have your e-mail address...BCB

Lightning22
11-25-2007, 06:56 PM
Lightning22,

I just sent you a PM...I can send you Lee data if I have your e-mail address...BCB

All received, many thanks!

Rich

crowbeaner
11-28-2007, 03:10 PM
I've loaded 6 of the recipes utilizing the Lee data sheet. I don't have any Blue Dot to work with, but have AA #5, Herco, and SR 4756. The shotgun determines which load it prefers. You'll have to try several to find out. The best combo for our 1100 was the AA hull, WW 209, 38.5 of AA#5, WAA12SL wad, and fold crimp. The load with the Fed. Gold Medal hull, WW 209, 34.0 of Herco, WAA12 wad, and fold crimp was the only load my Browning would group at all. Trial and error are the norm here. The Lee slug is undersized at .675 as cast, and unless you paper patch it to bring the diameter up the accuracy won't be anything to write home about. Higher velocities will not improve matters as the faster you drive them the farther apart they fly. The hard card under the slug is a good idea. I have yet to try it myself. The Claybuster replacement wads work OK if you can't get the OEM ones. CB.

doc25
11-28-2007, 06:42 PM
You said it was for practical shotgun? IPSC? What ranges are you planning to shoot at? If you're under 30 yards accuracy won't be a problem.

Lightning22
12-13-2007, 08:02 AM
You said it was for practical shotgun? IPSC? What ranges are you planning to shoot at? If you're under 30 yards accuracy won't be a problem.

I don't know what flavour of practical shotgunning he's doing, it really isn't my thing.