PDA

View Full Version : ballistic tip cast boolits?

luna butte
12-13-2013, 04:22 PM
so i am sitting here freezing to death with my nads clinkin together and i got to thinking if anyone of you all have ever tried to create a ballistic type point while you are casting? my first thought was maybe dropping a copper BB into the cavities of of a roundnose bullet mold. am i late to the party? i've not tried it yet. i really dont have any reason to try it as my lead boolits seem to upset themselves well enough already.

maybe cabin fever is gettin to me?

what say yall?

runfiverun
12-13-2013, 06:33 PM
the bb will act as an expansion initiator.
make sure they are smoking hot.

btroj
12-13-2013, 07:11 PM
I know of a person who has seated a BB in the cavity of an HP bullet when sizing the bullet. This would drastically open the cavity on impact.

cbrick
12-13-2013, 08:22 PM
I know of a person who has seated a BB in the cavity of an HP bullet when sizing the bullet. This would drastically open the cavity on impact.

Maybe but if it's a good HP alloy for the velocity @ impact it sure sounds like an answer waiting on a problem. Maybe something fun to tinker around with but needed?

Rick

xacex
12-13-2013, 08:50 PM
You can do a tipped boolit like a vmax. Contact a member that goes by Hollowpoint in this forum, and ask him for his PDF on the process. For my needs I haven't done it yet, but with the 311410 boolit I might give it a try. I have the PDF, and it is simple, and easy to follow. Not made for high production, but it gets you where you want to go.

Here is the thread. It looks like the pictures are gone, but they looked like v-max bullets.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?128237-Synthetic-Bullet-Tip-Mold&highlight=tip

btroj
12-13-2013, 09:24 PM
Maybe but if it's a good HP alloy for the velocity @ impact it sure sounds like an answer waiting on a problem. Maybe something fun to tinker around with but needed?

Rick

He is a old guy with lots of free time to play around.

Me? No way. I rarely use HP moulds but when I do the cavity is left wide open.

Rangefinder
12-13-2013, 09:45 PM
my first thought was maybe dropping a copper BB into the cavities of of a roundnose bullet mold.

Won't work. The BB is steel, and steel floats in molten lead. as soon as the lead hits the nose of the cavity the lead will force the BB upward in the cavity. It will settle when the lead solidifies somewhere near the base and likely nowhere near centered, thus creating a severe imbalance. HOWEVER, if you mate up with the proper size HP and nose punch for a pointy with an otherwise HP'd FN or the like, you can press a "ballistic tip" into it at sizing.

Rangefinder
12-13-2013, 09:45 PM
my first thought was maybe dropping a copper BB into the cavities of of a roundnose bullet mold.

Won't work. The BB is steel, and steel floats in molten lead. as soon as the lead hits the nose of the cavity the lead will force the BB upward in the cavity. It will settle when the lead solidifies somewhere near the base and likely nowhere near centered, thus creating a severe imbalance. HOWEVER, if you mate up with the proper size HP and nose punch for a pointy with an otherwise HP'd FN or the like, you can press a "ballistic tip" into it at sizing.

Animal
12-13-2013, 10:05 PM
Interesting thought. What if it were a short piece of steel shaft? Could that possibly continue to penetrate further after the cast boolit dumped its energy since it wouldn't expand with the boolit?

wistlepig1
12-13-2013, 11:18 PM
I read the posts above and maybe I missed this but I was think of casing an HP, let it cure, them use a hot glue gun to put a small amount of glue in the hole (hp). I noted that the Vmaxes have a void at the bottom. I think this void is the reason they explode, compression of the air in the void caused by the plastic tip acting like a piston. Or I am all wet. The reason I use the word "explode" is last year a yote made the fatal mistake of visiting while I was doing some Prairie Dog hunting. At 200yds he met Mr Vmax. It was the first time I had shot anything bigger than a PD. Muzzle V on my 22-250 is 3865 fps with a 26 inch barreled Savage with 50 gr Vmax @ 1 mile Hi @ 40 F. That what my Chrono tells me I am getting. All that being said, that yote will not kill anymore of my friends dogs. I know that we are not talking any where near that V but were not using jacked. The problem is I don't have any 22 cal HP molds, so have not tried it. Do you guys think it would be worth a try or has some one done this already?

waksupi
12-14-2013, 12:49 AM
On the old Shooters.com I remember KevininND casting for a whelen with a BB in the boolit nose. It apparently worked, and he made some kills with the configuration.

Rangefinder
12-14-2013, 01:05 AM
On the old Shooters.com I remember KevininND casting for a whelen with a BB in the boolit nose. It apparently worked, and he made some kills with the configuration.

I'd be interested how he accomplished it. Tried it myself and found if my lead and mold were up to temp, the BB wouldn't stay in the nose. Any cooler and it wouldn't fill out worth pig-snot and the BB wouldn't stay put.

leadman
12-14-2013, 01:10 AM
Winchester used to have a 25 or 32 acp cartridge that had a steel ball in the nose of the bullet. Haven't seen them in years.
One could drill a small hole in the nose, them drill a larger section just to contain the BB so you would have a small cavity under the BB.
I just bought a 6 cavity 22 cal Bator mold and there is a mark in the center of the boolits that would be perfect for centering the drill. A .177" BB would make for some thin walls in a .225" boolit.

xacex
12-18-2013, 08:08 PM
Here is some done with a clear tip. 311410 Mihec mold with the short pin.

It takes about 15 seconds a bullet to do. This is probably the hardest to do a tip on because of the size of the nose. It took 3 tried to get the shape right.

Thanks Hollowpoint!

Dirtdgger
12-18-2013, 08:28 PM
I done this with a bb in a hollow point 44 mag , I drop the bb in then take my top punch I use for 223 and it puts crimp around the bb. I've also done it with 38 and 357 some of these you have to open up a little with a drill bit. I have shot these into a target my son built me and they will expand about the size of a quarter with the bb right in the middle. If I ever figure out how to post pics I'll put some up.

bhn22
12-18-2013, 08:53 PM
Al Goerg used to screw a brass screw in the tips of cast hollowpoints. He called it his "bonebreaker special". I've stuffed all manner of things into hollowpoints over the decades to initiate expansion/explosions. I know a guy who adds a drop of mineral oil to hollowpoint bullets, then caps them with epoxy. I guess that can be spectacular at high velocities. The most practical is probably BruceBs cast soft points (look for the sticky).

303Guy
12-20-2013, 03:36 AM
Rangefinder, I think it depends on whether the molten lead rests on the BB or flows under it. The pressure from above needs to exceed the pressure from below. That would be a function of BB to mould nose fit. Some folk have reported it working while others that the BB floats up. Different moulds perhaps?

A benefit of the BB nosed boolit would be better BC while still having expansion.

Bullshop Junior
12-20-2013, 05:53 AM
I liked that deal where you dropped a small lead round ball into the nose of the mold, usually pure lead and them cast the rest of a harder alloy. They worked very well, and in our testing, I dont ever remember one coming apart.

Bullshop Junior
12-20-2013, 05:54 AM
I also like putting primers in the tip if you really wanna get impressive.

dudel
12-20-2013, 02:55 PM
How about this:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/729631/cutting-edge-bullets-esp-raptor-bullets-30-caliber-308-diameter-130-grain-enhanced-system-projectile-boat-tail-box-of-50

Get the tips alone from:
http://cuttingedgebullets.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=TALN

Work these into your HP boolits, and you've got yourself a gen-u-wine ballistic tip boolit.