PDA

View Full Version : shot those 577611's

charger 1
11-23-2007, 03:11 PM
Seems like as soon as I'd start to get a group or movement in a sensible direction,then all of a sudden it'd through wild by 5-6" in who knows which direction. I ran a wire brush in every shot to get the worst of the crap out. Changed loads multiple times over the 20 rounds. Me's really tinkin RB

StrawHat
11-23-2007, 03:33 PM
C1,,

Refresh my memory, what is the firearm?

I know it is a .58 but a .58 What?

Thanks

charger 1
11-23-2007, 04:33 PM
C1,,

Refresh my memory, what is the firearm?

I know it is a .58 but a .58 What?

Thanks

ParkerHale1970's repro musketoon

But I may once again only have myself to blame cause I noticed my tang screw wasnt exactly singin tight. Man this bein stupid crap is fer the birds
:groner:

StrawHat
11-23-2007, 05:30 PM
I ran a wire brush in every shot to get the worst of the crap out.

Changed loads multiple times over the 20 rounds. Me's really tinkin RB

Okay, I have no experience with the PH Enfields. I do have experience with the italian Springfiellds, italian Enfields and one italian Zouave.

For finding a load, the wiping between shots is a good idea.

The changing loads multiple times may not be.

I used the Lee improved minie in the Springfields, over 70 weighed grains of powder. Lube in the grooves.

I found that weighing the charges when working up a load was more consistant than pouring in a measure. After the load was found, an appropriate measure was made and tested to throw consistant charges.

I don't remember what worked with the Enfields but the Zouave needed 80 grains of powder to behave.

Round ball loads for targets were in the 55 - 60 grain range.

Hunting loads were heavier.

Blue - Grey Lube was used for either projectile.

I also rigged up an aperture sight that attached to my breech plug tang.

That is the fun part of muzzle loading, just when it starts to come together, it heads south for no particular reason.

I will try to locate and post some of the loads used by the skirmishing crowd, they have perfected the rifled musket loads.

charger 1
11-23-2007, 07:54 PM
What a coincidence Staw
Like I said I changed loads to see what grouped best from 75-85 in 2.5 increments. Best grouping was 80 bang on. I've gotta think theres something to be had in that tang screw loose

StrawHat
11-23-2007, 10:23 PM
Yep, loose screws can be a problem. My brother ex law is a prime example of that. Sorry, a little free association.

Does the PH have barrel bands? If so they can sometimes be a source of fluctuation.

I had an italian M1841 Mississippi rifle that played hob with the groups until I bedded the plug and barrel. Full contact bedding from the tang to the muzzle end of the stock. Prior to the bedding curing I ran in the tang screw until just finger tight. Liewise the band were snugged onto there springs. When the epoxy cured I relieved the inner portion of the bands until there was only contact at two points on each one. At two and ten on the clock face. Then I snugged the plug screw down firm and groups sizes were cut in half.

Perhaps a winter project for you.

I have since converted that rifle to 50-70 but that is a different story.

Keep us posted and good luck

Buckshot
11-24-2007, 06:33 AM
..............When you get a new rifle it's good to check the bedding. For a rifled musket like your Musketoon or most any other 'banded' type is to loosen the tang screw and remove the bands. Remove the barrel and check the stock for straightness and that it isn't bowed.

Lay the barrel back into the stock and make sure the breech bolster isn't sitting on the lock plate. Re-install the tang screw and tighten it. Watch to see what the barrel does.

The muzzle should not lift. I don't know how the ramrod is retained. If it has a metal 'spoon' looking flat spring inlet into the stock below the barrel channel, make sure it isn't contacting the underside of the barrel.

Install the lower band. Watch the barrel and the stock as you slide the band down. Also watch as you tighten the band screw. Neither the stock nor the barrel should move. Re-install the front band. Since your carbine hasn't been fired much, it's probably okay but pull the nipple and make sure there is only a tiny flash hole. I use torch nozzle cleaners to check the hole but don't remember which one it is for new nipples. I use the Aampco berylium copper nipples and they have a tiny flash hole.

Since you won't want to be taking the barrel off all the time, a good thing to do is to put a dab of hi-temp wheel bearing grease right on the forend tip of the stock in the barrel channel. Also put some on a rag and wipe the bottomhalf of the barrel before installation. Since you'll be running wet patches down the barrel the wheel bearing grease at the forend tip forms a seal to exclude any water that may run down the barrel. Ditto that on the underside of the barrel provides excellent portection.

If all the above is correct then so is your carbine.

.................Buckshot

StrawHat
11-24-2007, 08:16 AM
Some good reading

http://www.n-ssa.org/NORTHWEST/Modifying%20Locks.htm

http://www.trapdoorcollector.com/Targetized.html

The tips for the trapdoor can also be used with a muzzle loader.

charger 1
11-24-2007, 08:30 AM
Theres no disputing you know yer stuff Buskshot, but heck fire man I did all the good stuff you mentioned, cause I'd heard so much about the often needed bedding, that I thought well before I get ffg/water juice, or cleaner or anything all over the place I want something I dont gotta touch.. I'm really thinking(hoping) that snugging that tang which for some reason I forgot to earler will help. Well we'll see when I get to fire a few again I'll know if that did anything

charger 1
11-24-2007, 11:37 AM
AH this morning makes me wanta sleep with my musketoon tonight
The loose tang screw was the devil in the gears. That and not brushing tween shots enough..I tightened that. brushed a good 4 strokes after shot. Shot off hand cause it hates the bench and proceeded to one after the other into about a .8 inch dia hole......AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

twotoescharlie
11-24-2007, 11:52 AM
recently traded off one of these. the rifleing was so shallow that it was almost like it didn't have any. I 've had several .58s over the past 45-50 years and this one was the only that I couldn't get to group. had one of the little short musketoons and it was very accurate, also had several zouaves, no problem. the only way I could get the long enfield was to load with an oversize minie . was hard to start which defeated the purpose of the Minie, but was pretty accurate.

TTC

btw I bought the enfield new.