PDA

View Full Version : Pedersoli 30-40 Rolling Block

StrawHat
11-23-2007, 10:24 AM
Does anyone have one?

If so how is it with cast?

I just learned of them and I may be getting one.

Thanks for the info.

Nobade
11-24-2007, 10:13 AM
Don't know about the 30-40, but I bought one in 30-30 a while back. It had the roughest barrel I have ever seen, the rifling button must have been really dull because it raised burrs along the entire inside of the bore. It was rough enough to shred patches when they were pushed through. I sent it to Clearwater Reboring and had them open it up to 35 cal, and used my neck/throater to make it a 35X30-30. Now it works great, and is amazingly accurate with the RCBS 200gr. boolits. That aside, I like the rest of the rifle. The length of pull was too long for me, at 14 1/4 inches, so I shortened the buttstock and refinished the wood with a filled oil finish. I don't shoot it much yet, but I'm hoping to get a decent tang sight for it eventually and use it a lot more in out local cast bullet silhouette matches.

Bullshop
11-24-2007, 01:48 PM
I know the tital of this thread says RB but are we talking rolling block or are we talking high wall? I am seeing the highwalls in these calibers but I see no rollers. Am I missing something?
BIC/BS

StrawHat
11-24-2007, 05:58 PM
Rolling blocks

I, like you, had only seen HiWalls, but recently been told of a Rolling Block and was looking for input.

Heck, at this point I would be happy to hear that anyone else has heard of them!

leadhead
12-05-2007, 10:46 PM
My buddy has a 30/30 thats been rechambered to 30/40 and were having a hell
of a time with it leading the bore. Sluged the muzzel, and it measures .306 dia.
trying to figure out how to keep it from leading. Have made a .306 sizing die, and will
try that when the weather clears.
It does shoot really great at 50 yds, it will put all the boolits in the same hole.
Its scoped with a 14 power unertil.
Have been reading Buckshots post about the tapered bores, and am now thinking
this might be the problem.
Denny

Boz330
12-06-2007, 09:36 AM
My buddy has a 30/30 thats been rechambered to 30/40 and were having a hell
of a time with it leading the bore. Sluged the muzzel, and it measures .306 dia.
trying to figure out how to keep it from leading. Have made a .306 sizing die, and will
try that when the weather clears.
It does shoot really great at 50 yds, it will put all the boolits in the same hole.
Its scoped with a 14 power unertil.
Have been reading Buckshots post about the tapered bores, and am now thinking
this might be the problem.
Denny

What are you using as far as powder and alloy and lube. I'm not sure that this even relates but in my 40-65 if I shoot WW boolits and smokeless or BP I get leading, but with any of the tin lead mixes and BP I get very little. But I'm not trying to push past BP velocities either. Is it possible that the rifle isn't broke in good yet. Fire lapping might be an alternative.

Bob

leadhead
12-06-2007, 11:57 AM
We 've been using 16grs of 2400 and 10.5 grs of unique with WW bullets.
Going to try some linotype with bullets sized to .306
Denny

4060MAY
12-06-2007, 01:11 PM
BOZ
I have a Dixie Pedersoli 40-65, bore is .399 groove is .407 but the throat is .412. leads like crazy with Lyman Snover bullet and SR4759 we made a mold to fit the throat and the leading went away.
also this gun is very accurate, not hard to get 1" at 100yds with iron sights.
Check the throat and if it's like mine I could send you some bullets to try. copy of Dan T's minigroove bullet, 430grs cast 14 BHN.

Boz330
12-06-2007, 01:40 PM
We 've been using 16grs of 2400 and 10.5 grs of unique with WW bullets.
Going to try some linotype with bullets sized to .306
Denny

Check the breech end and see what that slugs. If it is 308 then the problem might be worse.

4060MAY, thanks for the offer. I usually shoot BP and it isn't a problem with that. My gun is an 18 twist barrel and I've never had any luck with boolits in the 400gr category. In running the numbers the RCBS 350 is the perfect length for what I do. In smokeless that might work ok since I could spin it faster, but haven't shot smokeless in this gun in more than 10 years.:drinks:

Bob