PDA

View Full Version : Lee lube how much coating

Piglead
08-28-2005, 10:05 AM
I know this is going to sound like a stupid question ! But I've just got some Lee Alox lube & even after reading the instructions ! I'm still none the wiser on what the desired coating is ? Ie how much is Too much Or to little ?Any help would be gladly accepted ! The Problem being we do'nt have that many casters over here & those of us that do have been using the tried & proven methords since Moses was wearing short pants!

Dave

uncle guns
08-28-2005, 12:32 PM
Greetings

Sorry I am no x-pert, But I have switched from a 450 S-L to the Lee liquid alox and the way I do it is to put a large handfull of boolits in a plastic
bowl, and then add small amounts of alox and then shake the mixture around till all boolits are well coated, if the bullits are a brownish-gold color,evenly coated then I am done, if not I add some more alox and repete.

Then dump bullits on wax paper and let dry.......It is not an exact science, but I have had no problems so far, IMHO it is simply a trial and error thing. but so simple and cheap that I sold my S-L....

One tip that helped me, warm up the alox in a hot water bath 1st..
it will flow better, and forget the squeeze top it just will not squirt out....

Good luck,, HTH

Leftoverdj
08-28-2005, 12:56 PM
Piglead, depends on what you are doing with your bullets. Just a light coat that turns the bullets golden is enough down in the 1500 fps range. If you shooting at higher velocities, you want enough lube in the grooves to be a very dark brown. Thickness varies from batch to batch and you may need two coats to get that.

Depreacher
08-28-2005, 02:40 PM
My T/L is done in an empty Go-Jo container. The lid snaps on good and tight. I fill it about 1/3rd full of boolits, put in a proper amout of lube and turn it over 20 or so times. The ribs on the under side of the lid make an excellent tumbler when the bottom of the container is pointing up at a slight angle (30 to 45 degrees). Works fer me. cbp

Maineboy
08-28-2005, 04:13 PM
My experience is what Leftoverdj says. Most boolits only need a light coat if velocity is under 1600 fps. The one exception is with my Marlin 45-70, boolits in it need a heavier coat otherwise they will leave lead in the last 4-5" of the barrel.

sc03a3
08-29-2005, 03:09 AM
piglead, i use the lee sizer and t/l system in all my milsurp rifles, great stuff!! my system is to t/l the as cast boolits, let dry, install the gas check and size, then t/l again. this puts a good coating of lube in the grooves. i have taken boolits lubed in this manner to 2000 fps with no leading......sc03a3

Piglead
08-29-2005, 03:43 AM
Thanks for that Fellas It has cleared up the problems I was having! I Know were to start now