PDA

View Full Version : Where to download all stickies?

juzme
12-12-2013, 10:36 AM
Surely this has been investigated on the forums before but I'm not finding in the posts exactly what I hope to. Is there a downloadable collection or a CD available of all the forums stickies and how tos? If not, have the owners and moderators had discussions about the possibility of such? What a treasure these would be! In total these forums are very informative and I especially find the sticky areas of benefit. I'd like to have them in a collection ready to boot up in case some unforeseen disaster prevents my making any future internet connection. Thanks, again, all you experienced fellows and new pros for the very good help and information you offer here.
juzme

AlaskanGuy
12-12-2013, 12:27 PM
I second this idea.... Could be a good fund raiser for the board to charge a nominal fee even...

tygar
12-12-2013, 12:33 PM
Yes third it. It goes with something I just posted about finding things here.

It would be very good if it was set up with an index so if I wanted info on RPM effect on CBs or what would be the proper hardness range for casting HPs etc.

Great idea.

Reverend Al
12-12-2013, 01:54 PM
I'd "fourth" that suggestion! And if they were available in a "bulk pack" at a reasonable price I'd buy a bunch of them and distribute them to any interested members of our local gun club (2800 strong this year!) at the cost price just to get some more high quality technical info out to our local shooters and fledgling reloaders! Maybe you could offer them in a package deal too and put it together as a disc + a Cast Boolits patch or T-shirt? I really think that it's something that should be very seriously considered ...
[smilie=w:

HNSB
12-12-2013, 02:00 PM
Or it would be nice to have that information organized into a wiki or library of sorts to organize it and make it easier to find what you're looking for.

square butte
12-12-2013, 03:12 PM
Great idea - Just in case the world goes bad.

waksupi
12-12-2013, 05:42 PM
No idea how we could go about it. We have over 2 million posts on the board, quite a pile to sort out. I started in on the old Shooters board, printing out pertinent topics. It didn't take long to use up several reams of paper, and I finally gave up. If someone has a solution let staff know, and we would certainly look at the idea.

dbosman
12-12-2013, 05:53 PM
IF the site is pages it can be done using an off line browser solution.
This one isn't. It's a database that gets queried when we click on topics.
Most very active sites are database based these days.

An off line version would be a copy of the database and a query engine and a browser. So, it could be done. Not easily and if someone were to be paid for the work, not cheaply.

Doc Highwall
12-12-2013, 05:55 PM
This is the best I can think of as a lot of the information came from here.

From Ingot to Target: A Cast Bullet Guide for Handgunners
A New full length cast bullet book by Glen E. Fryxell

Foreword by John Taffin pdf version

http://www.lasc.us/

ratitude
12-12-2013, 08:04 PM
I created this pdf file of the Mould Enlargement "beagling" sticky just to see if I could.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?117331-Mould-Enlargement-%93beagling%94

It certainly isn't perfect and was only a quick first try but it is searchable and all the hyperlinks still work. I can play with it some more.

Note: the pdf file is inside the zip file

Randy C
12-12-2013, 08:54 PM
There is a mountain of good info here it would be nice to have permanent copy.

SciFiJim
12-13-2013, 01:52 AM
No idea how we could go about it. We have over 2 million posts on the board, quite a pile to sort out. I started in on the old Shooters board, printing out pertinent topics. It didn't take long to use up several reams of paper, and I finally gave up. If someone has a solution let staff know, and we would certainly look at the idea.

I just checked. Those over 2 million posts are contained in 165,000 threads.

If the zipped beagling thread is any indication, the database is over 50 gigabytes! That would be one heck of a download.

SciFiJim
12-13-2013, 01:53 AM

I just checked. Those over 2 million posts are contained in 165,000 threads.

If the zipped beagling thread is any indication, the database is over 50 gigabytes! That would be one heck of a download.

juzme
12-13-2013, 10:26 AM
Wow! Two million! Surely the number of stickies only is more managable. Is it possible to sort this massive data base by name of poster and to do so only in order to retrieve those items by posters of stickies and then to save to digital file the results. I suppose some volunteer(s) would first need to extract all the names of sticky posters or those posters could themselves add their names to a list. I'm no nurd, just hoping (maybe dreaming) that we might thereby have a managable download of stickie posts sorted at least by author. A return from the effort might be the revenue idea (allowing download of such a shortened list as a gratuity for a contribution of money).
juzme

AlaskanGuy
12-13-2013, 11:49 AM
I would assume that the data, being in a database format, would be easy to sort by sticky then exported.... At least for me, being a ex-database programmer... What i wouldn't do to get my hands on the actual data, even if it is 50 gigs.... I bet the stickeys would fit nicely on a single dvd.. Even in their native format...

Randy C
12-14-2013, 07:38 PM
I would pay for a USB hard drive with the works. I love my hand loader magazines on cd.

myg30
12-26-2013, 10:47 AM
What about a separation of topics ? One casting, reloading etc... Can sell the "Collection of stickies " ?

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas.

Mike