PDA

View Full Version : Which RB mold for PH?

charger 1
11-23-2007, 07:09 AM
I've noticed some molds for the 58 are in the .560 range and some are .570..I'm going to buy one of some type for the PH musketoon, just so as to be a well rounded:roll:sorta guy. I'm thinking for accuracy sake I'm better with bigger dia ball/thinner patch. Do I dream or is this the way it is? Any recommendations?

montana_charlie
11-23-2007, 02:37 PM
I can't really say but, I think it's easier to find cloth that 'fits the gap' for the .570" bullets.
CM

sturf
11-23-2007, 08:17 PM
rifleing twist is too fast for a round ball

charger 1
11-23-2007, 09:41 PM
rifleing twist is too fast for a round ball

OOPS
guess I'm not going to enjoy those two boxes of .570's I just ordered then. I always thought muskets with 48 twist could handle a diet of either ordenance. Both minie and RB are dug up at gettysburg with relatively = frequency I thought

Buckshot
11-24-2007, 06:57 AM
..............Most RB's that are battlefield dug (and especially of large size) were probably from 1842 Springfields, if of Union origin. God only knows what if Confederate :-). Some 1842's had been called back and rifled, but a lot weren't. I believe Chamberlin's reg't carried M42 smoothbores because they found the buck n ball load so effective.

You 48" twist should be okay. Not ideal but fine. I think the thinner material is less prone to be tough enough, or at least not as tough as a thicker material could be. However I'm not a shooter of patched RB's.

................Buckshot

sturf
11-24-2007, 11:06 AM
try a bullet like the Lyman or Rapine 575460. (old style 460 gr.) 44 gr 3 f. This is a target load. 60 gr 2 f would copy the original load. kind of hard on the shoulder with a carbine. rifleing twist for a round ball should be around 1 in 72. shorter bullet; slower twist. originals were slower rifled but they used more powder. ie higher vel. round balls were probably from privately owned rifles and or 42 Springfield buck and ball loads. (3 buck, 1 ball) God bless.

Saint
11-25-2007, 06:32 AM
Just try to remember that no two muzzleloaders are the same. Even if they are the same brand and model they may be very different. For example, I purchased two Traditions hawken woodsmens .54's. One of them shoots roundballs just great and the other with the same ball, patch, and powder/charge combo throws some of the craziest groups I have seen. I think that if possible it is always best to purchase pre made ammo at first to determine what works best before making the investment in a mould. Also, from experience I find thinner patches more prone to burning through. Most importantly though have fun, be safe, and remember to take your ramrod out of the barrel before firing.