PDA

View Full Version : Which First Manual?

RickinTN
12-11-2013, 08:39 AM
Hello all,
I'm going to purchase a loading manual/book for a young man for Christmas on reloading. We have loaded a few rounds together on a Lee Classic loader I gave him for his birthday in the summer but other than that he is a total beginner. I have several manuals but I don't have the "ABC's of reloading" to be familiar with it's content. Would this be a good selection for a beginning reloader? If not, which one would you suggest?
Thanks,
Rick

Wayne Smith
12-11-2013, 09:00 AM
I've never read the ABC's of Reloading. The Sierra Manual or the Lyman manual have very good introductions to the basics of reloading and are adequate. That's what I use. They also give the beginner a good selection of loads to peruse. For the intelligent thinker these are gold.

captaint
12-11-2013, 09:07 AM
I learned, reading the Speer #9. I'm sure their current edition is every bit as usefel as the older one. The Lee reloading manual is also good. Mike

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-11-2013, 09:09 AM
I'd go with a Lyman manual, that's not older that 25 years old.

jmort
12-11-2013, 10:47 AM
For me the most useful choices are the Lyman 49th and Modern Reloading. ABCs is overrated and gets lower marks than the two I mentioned where they are all sold head-to-head. If you use Lee Precision equipment, as most do, then it is an easy decision, Modern Reloading by Richard Lee which can be had for around $13.00, fantastic value.

Bzcraig
12-11-2013, 11:21 AM
For me the most useful choices are the Lyman 49th and Modern Reloading. ABCs is overrated and gets lower marks than the two I mentioned where they are all sold head-to-head. If you use Lee Precision equipment, as most do, then it is an easy decision, Modern Reloading by Richard Lee which can be had for around $13.00, fantastic value.

I agree 100% I bought the ABC's first and was unimpressed. It does have info the beginner can use but no load data at all. If he is going to cast as well as load then Lyman's 49 or Lyman Cast Boolit Handbook. Guys criticize the Lee for re-publishing other data but I don't see that as negative in any way.

cbrick
12-11-2013, 11:30 AM
I have several of most all editions of the common manuals. I use the Sierra mostly (kinda out of habit) but I think the newest edition of the Speer book is the best of the NEW editions. They really did an outstanding job upgrading this edition.

Rick

skykingjohn
12-11-2013, 11:55 AM
I started to reload about a year ago and i have a lee book and a lyman reloading and also the newest casting book from lyman . I have lymansSemi-Auto Pistol .380 Auto/9mm Luger/ .40 S&W/ .45 Auto,Popular Revolver .38 Special/ .357 Magnum/ .44 Magnum/ .45 Colt and also loadbook usa books . and i use them all . for a new person i would say that the lee book and the lyman casting book would give alot of goo safe info . i know it did for me

12-11-2013, 12:05 PM
Manuals from Hornady, Sierra, and Speer will cover everything a beginner needs to learn, and contain load listings. In addition to all that, Lyman offers the most information about all aspects of the casting and loading of cast boolits, and their Cast Bullet Handbook, 3rd edition is a classic.

While Lee's book will help a beginner, it does so in a self-aggrandizing manner, while disparaging some well respected reloading companies, something the other manuals refrain from doing. Be that as it may, it's not one that I would ever recommend.

clownbear69
12-11-2013, 12:07 PM
Go with the Lyman 49th hardcover. Although comparing it to my Lee 2nd and Speer 13th it seems the Lyman has there loads on the conservative side. The reason I say hardcover because I'm wearing out my binding on my soft cover. I do like how hornady and Sierra presents there load data.

turmech
12-11-2013, 12:12 PM
I vote for the Lee manual as well. A lot of folks knock it because it does a lot of bragging on Lee equipment and the data often comes from other sources. Neither bother me much. IMO It is perhaps the most complete manual that I have read. It covering many topics including cast, shot shell and metallic reloading. May be not to the extent some specif manuals due, but good info none the less.

dragon813gt
12-11-2013, 12:12 PM
Get the Lee Manual. Not only does it have a really good explanation of reloading and casting. It also has the most load data. Which is what you want out of a load manual. The
manufacturer manuals are only for their products. And I find Lyman's manuals to be very lacking in load data.

I also don't have any issue with how Richard Lee presents the info in the book. It's about his equipment so he should rightfully present it as the best one can by. It makes little sense to not do this.

I pull the Lee manual out more than any of the others I own because it's a compilation of all the data in the other ones.

clownbear69
12-11-2013, 12:15 PM
Manuals from Hornady, Sierra, and Speer will cover everything a beginner needs to learn, and contain load listings. In addition to all that, Lyman offers the most information about all aspects of the casting and loading of cast boolits, and their Cast Bullet Handbook, 3rd edition is a classic.

While Lee's book will help a beginner, it does so in a self-aggrandizing manner, while disparaging some well respected reloading companies, something the other manuals refrain from doing. Be that as it may, it's not one that I would ever recommend.

Agreed with the lee. The book in short is a propaganda book making it sound that you only can use lee stuff to reload.

jmort
12-11-2013, 12:21 PM
If you use Lee Precision equipment, you would be foolish not to have Modern Reloading. As for the crying about Richard Lee promoting his own products, well duh.

joesig
12-11-2013, 12:46 PM
Lee on sale. Tough to beat for the price.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/639649/lee-modern-reloading-2nd-edition-revised-reloading-manual

Also a wide range of loads. Other loads available on line for free at powder manufacturers' websites.

You can't go wrong with any first manual as long as the person actually RTFM.

AlaskanGuy
12-11-2013, 12:58 PM
Get the Lee, I have many many many of the others, but for a beginner, i like it....

Another thing to think about, being that the person is a young person and technology is already firmly implanted into his daily life, think about getting him a printed manual, and also maybe a PDF manual for his electronic device.... That way he can read it whenever he wants on his phone or ipad.... I have many in PDF format, and just love being able to pull them up on my ipad or iphone, or andriod device....

Just a suggestion... But the lee is printed format is my vote

EMC45
12-11-2013, 01:04 PM
Lyman 48th or 49th.

David2011
12-11-2013, 01:36 PM
Can't go wrong with the Sierra or Lyman. Lyman is better for boolits. I use both regularly. Both have much more info than just formulae- histories of the cartridges, firearm specific info like for the Garand or Ruger/Contender loads.

David

AkMike
12-11-2013, 01:49 PM
My vote would be for Ken Waters,'Pet Loads'!

They cover most of everything for normal loads.

Blacksmith
12-11-2013, 02:00 PM
I always recommend beginners get at least two manuals so they can compare information, it is always good to double check everything in reloading. The two I recommend are the current Lyman and Modern Reloading by Lee. I also recommend they read the how to parts of both books and compare what they say.

As far as Richard Lee promoting his products please show me other manufacturers bullets in either the Hornady, Speer or Sierra books or other powders in Hogdon or any other powder makers book. They publish the books to sell their products which is why good manuals don't cost an arm and a leg. Shucks the Lyman book has cast loads for Lyman molds. I have many manuals both new and old I learn something from each one and enjoy reading them and comparing recipes I have never seen one manual that has everything but for starting reloaders you want a good introduction to reloading giving the what to look fors and whys. Then showing a variety of components and powders from various manufacturers will encourage a willingness to try different combinations to see which works best.

bob208
12-11-2013, 02:04 PM
my first manual was the lyman cast bullet handbook used it a lot then the next was the big layman loading book. I have started a few reloaders on the lyman 46.

RED333
12-11-2013, 06:17 PM
I use the Lee for a place to start, interweb for load date per powder manufacturer.
I do a lot of research on load date, get as much info as I can.
Then compare to the Lee and go from there.
When I started to reload I taught myself and my son, we are still here.

btroj
12-11-2013, 07:12 PM
Lyman, hands down. Lots of data, lots of good info, good selection of cartridges and powder.

rush1886
12-11-2013, 07:21 PM
If you'd like a copy of "ABC's", to go along with the Lyman, Lee, or Waters, pm me, and it will be so.

12-11-2013, 08:35 PM
Recently, I bought the Ken Waters two-volume Pet Loads and am very impressed.

xs11jack
12-11-2013, 09:11 PM
I go with Blacksmith, two are better than one. Tell him to compare, and compare again. He won't go wrong.
Ole Jack

.22-10-45
12-12-2013, 01:49 AM
Before I even had a firearm to handload for, I read & re-read this one cover to cover..even though it's dated..the basics never go out of style...Phill Sharpes Complete Guide To Handloading, and Matterns Principles and practices of Handloading.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-12-2013, 09:03 AM
I'd like to add...

a great alternative manual IMHO is "NICK HARVEY'S Practical Reloading Manual"
http://www.hawkbullets.com/harvey.htm

While I definitely recommend having the "free" powder manufacturers manuals and a couple bullet manufacturer manuals, and something Like Lyman's or Lee's. I Love to have an alternative, written by a knowledgable amateur Like Nick, just a great way to double check when I find a discrepancy in load data from major manufacturers.

RickinTN
12-12-2013, 11:13 AM
Thank you to everyone for all the replies and suggestions. Although I know that data is important I want him to have a reference for the technical and "how to" information in my absence. Also, as funds for bullets for a 15 yr old high schooler with a single parent (mom) will be short most of his loading will probably be "boolits" furnished by me. I think I've decided the Lyman 49th will probably be the best bet as it will have information on jacketed and cast. Next spring I'll pick up one of the "Annual Manuals" from Hodgdon for additional data as well as any of the free powder manufacturer's booklets I can find. I started him loading reduced loads with Trail Boss in the 30-30 thinking it would be at least some protection from overloading.
Again, thanks to everyone! And as you all already know, this is a great place where we all "hang out".
Rick

9w1911
12-12-2013, 10:41 PM
You can never have too many of these in my opinion
the ABCs is great for a first time book and I enjoy the precision loading chapter towards the end