PDA

View Full Version : 45 Colt wadcutter

RX7Dryver
11-22-2007, 07:26 PM
I love shooting wadcutters in .38 special and .357 magnum. I wanted a .45 wadcutter bullet to load in .45 Colt.

I bought a Saeco no. 453 225gr mold.

Now that I have the mold I am having a hard time finding data. Does anyone know where I can find data for a load like this.

Also, How come the .45 wadcutter is not as popular as the .38 wadcutter?

Blackhawk Convertable
11-22-2007, 10:30 PM
Because it is an old western cartridge. It is blasphemy to ruin it by making a wad cutter for it.

By the way, that was said tongue-in-cheek. Basically nobody was loading for the .45LC until the resurgence of that cartridge due to Cowboy Action. In the 70's thru the 90's is was all about the .357/.38spl and 44mag/44spl.

RX7Dryver
11-22-2007, 10:47 PM
There is nothing cowboy about my Ruger Redhawk:Fire:

dubber123
11-22-2007, 10:53 PM
There is nothing cowboy about my Ruger Redhawk:Fire:

I bet alot of cowboys back in the day would have liked one.:drinks:

shooting on a shoestring
11-23-2007, 11:46 AM
I've wished for that .45 wadcutter mould for since I got my .45 Colt Blackhawk. Wadcutters just make good sense to me. They make beautiful holes in targets, and anything else that needs a great big hole in it. Hollow point them and they are great for defense. For my uses I consider 0 to 25 yards to be pistol ranges. Wadcutters work out plenty good for that, and I've shot them farther on occasion.

As for load data. I had planned to start with loads that are in line with the old Peacemaker data for either the 225 Lyman Cowboy mould, or even 250 gr SWCs at that level. I would think Bullseye, Unique or Herco would be great powders to start with. I would run up the charges until I hit about 1000 fps and live happily everafter.

MT Gianni
11-23-2007, 12:37 PM
Because it is an old western cartridge. It is blasphemy to ruin it by making a wad cutter for it.

By the way, that was said tongue-in-cheek. Basically nobody was loading for the .45LC until the resurgence of that cartridge due to Cowboy Action. In the 70's thru the 90's is was all about the .357/.38spl and 44mag/44spl.

Ruger suspended sales of the 45 Blackhawk for a time in the 70's when shooters were expermenting with 44 Mag type loads in it. Many articles were written in gun wrags, with the rotten bum, imho, Bob Milek going so far as to section a balloon head 45 to show the relative strength of the 2 cases. When many readers showed his magazine modern sectioned cases of equal strength he admitted he did it to show what could happen and had no knowledge of loading a 45 just thet he thought it should be done to industry specs of an 1873 peacemaker rather than modern guns. All of this predated cowboy shoots by years. I have load data in LY 39 manual for a 235 gr wadcutter and a lee sc copy of it. LY dropped it when bullseye shooters went to smaller calibers. Gianni

subsonic
11-26-2007, 04:04 PM
Mike Venturino posts some loads with that bullet in the new Handloader Magazine. I think it's the December/January edition?