PDA

View Full Version : New Here - Looking to buy some Colt 45 Long Black Powder...

LastMango
12-11-2013, 12:57 AM
I've starting getting into the older revolvers and really liking it, wouldn't want them as a CCW, but honestly, I enjoy shooting the 1800's stuff much more than I had expected.

I have been looking for Colt 45 Long Black Powder loads for a month or more, found out the Powder Inc, aka Black Dawge had an explosion (spoke to Jerry's wife) and their son was severely burned, 3rd degree, about 50% of his body in May I think. He's doing better but they have decided to get out of the BP business (understandably so)

This explains to me why everything went from Out of Stock to Discontinued...

Anyhow, any tips on where I can buy BP Colt 45 Long are GREATLY appreciated, as I'd like to experience that old west feel on occasion...

PS - I'm too new to the BP stuff to try to do it myself like most of you guys, but I am starting to read up on it and will likely go that route at some point when I'm more comfortable with my knowledge level on all of this...

Thanks again....

obssd1958
12-11-2013, 01:31 AM
If you post your location, there might be someone close enough to help you out.

LastMango
12-11-2013, 01:33 AM
I live in S. Florida, and have checked all over here, which is what lead to me a broader search... however, would love to find someone I could buy from locally of course...

obssd1958
12-11-2013, 01:46 AM
A little 'fer for me to be of any help, but I'm sure that there are other members that are close enough to come to your aid!

Don

LastMango
12-11-2013, 02:03 AM
Can ammo not be shipped between private parties today? Wouldn't surprise me.. If this is the case, what about shipping to my local gun shop?

cbrick
12-11-2013, 07:56 AM
Looking for powder a day or two ago both Powder Valley and Midway had various black powders in stock.

Rick

w30wcf
12-11-2013, 08:57 AM
Buffalo Arms carries .45 Colt B.P. ammo in 200 & 250 gr bullet weights but currently they are out of stock.
Ammo can be shipped directly to you unless there is a state law that says otherwise.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/45_Colt_Black_Powder_Ammunition_it-158181.aspx?CAT=4438

http://www.buffaloarms.com/45_Colt_Black_Powder_Ammunition_it-158180.aspx?CAT=4438

w30wcf

LastMango
12-11-2013, 10:04 AM
cbrick - Thanks, but I don't know how to load my own yet, I've started reading up on it though and that's how I found this forum, great info here...

w30wcf - I bought a Uberti Wyatt Earp 10" Colt 45 Buntline from Buffaloarm.com, great guys... I spoke with them last week and they couldn't tell me when they would get any in... I honestly think this is going to be another challenge for us shooters and collectors...

Wayne Smith
12-11-2013, 11:13 AM
There are a number of rounds that are essentially reloader only. Until recently (I am 60!) no black powder rounds were available. If you wanted any you made them yourself. It may go back to that but isn't yet. Availability may push it.

MtGun44
12-12-2013, 01:55 AM
LOL!

BP is SIMPLE. FILL THE CASE, seat a boolit. Shoot.

All this hard stuff about measuring powder and different kinds came LATER.

Bill

PS you will be safe with the above, but there is more to it (precompression, card
wads, grease cookies, etc) to get long range rifle accuracy up.

cbrick
12-12-2013, 11:06 AM
cbrick - Thanks, but I don't know how to load my own yet, I've started reading up on it though and that's how I found this forum, great info here...

I just re-read your OP, my bad but it shows my mind set. I haven't bought a factory loaded round in 30+ years, if I didn't load it I don't shoot it and buying a factory loaded round doesn't even enter the thought process.

Bill as usual is spot on correct. Loading for black powder is pretty straight forward and wouldn't break the bank getting started. You can load & shoot what you want to shoot and not what someone else wants you to shoot assuming of course theirs is even available. Then there is the pride of making it with your own two hands and it's much cheaper.

Rick

LastMango
12-12-2013, 12:33 PM
Interesting feedback... I guess I'm going to just have to get into making Colt 45 Longs (regular and black powder) myself. Any info on getting started is VERY much appreciated... Thanks again for all the feedback...

montana_charlie
12-12-2013, 02:47 PM
I have been looking for Colt 45 Long Black Powder loads for a month or more, found out the Powder Inc, aka Black Dawge had an explosion (spoke to Jerry's wife) and their son was severely burned, 3rd degree, about 50% of his body in May I think. He's doing better but they have decided to get out of the BP business (understandably so)

This explains to me why everything went from Out of Stock to Discontinued...
Powder Inc. currently shows .45 Colt cartridges available at 32.05 for a box of fifty.
When you hit the link on their website, you are taken to this one ...
http://www.blackdawgecartridge.com/cgi-bin/bdstore/perlshop.cgi?ACTION=thispage&thispage=bd_ammo.html&ORDER_ID=410860629
(scroll halfway down the page)

CM

LastMango
12-16-2013, 08:42 AM
Powder Inc. currently shows .45 Colt cartridges available at 32.05 for a box of fifty.
When you hit the link on their website, you are taken to this one ...
http://www.blackdawgecartridge.com/cgi-bin/bdstore/perlshop.cgi?ACTION=thispage&thispage=bd_ammo.html&ORDER_ID=410860629
(scroll halfway down the page)

CM

Thanks, but Powder Inc is the facility that had the fire/explosion, and sadly, their son was burned, 3rd degree over 50% of this body, they are out of the black powder business, and I think out of any type of powder/ammunition business...

prs
12-16-2013, 03:51 PM
Go to the SASS site and call-out Manatee. He may be able to find you a mentor and maybe a person who can donate a few properly loaded rounds. Believe it or not, there IS more to it than what MtGun44 said IF you want to shoot all day with accuracy with-out stopping to clean. Not rocket science and really quite safe to do; just use the right boolits, the right lube, and one of the decent real black powders. The Open Range forums has a site called The Dark Side, good info there too.

prs

Lively Boy
12-17-2013, 07:19 PM
I was curious and checked their web page. they seem to be still taking orders at Powder Inc.. I may be wrong but they are stating they are putting out a new price list for the new year??