PDA

View Full Version : what are the best guns for testing...?

TES
12-10-2013, 11:46 PM
I am starting an ammo manufacturing business and need a testy .40 and .45acp to do work up loads on and don't wanna buy the wrong gun. I need it to be finicky but not so much as to cause more trouble shooting than it should (no Hi points). Meaning a good functional gun that needs a little more of a tight tolerance than say a glock. I don't have a lot of money so there you have it.

With all of the experience here what two guns would you buy?

Love Life
12-10-2013, 11:49 PM
Are you buying them just for function testing?

runfiverun
12-11-2013, 02:33 AM
one of the most trouble free non picky about ammo guns I have is a hi-point carbine.
in fact i'll snatch another one up if I see it.

for what you want I'd just go get a couple of springfield xd [whatevers] they are about middle of the road type guns.

Blacksmith
12-11-2013, 04:23 AM
For accuracy testing the standard is either a Mann Barrel or a Universal Receiver.

Lloyd Smale
12-11-2013, 08:48 AM
my buddy has a couple springfield xds and they wont run ammo that runs through my glocks like butter.

TES
12-11-2013, 11:12 AM
Are you buying them just for function testing?

Yup....that's the idea....My glock eats what ever I put in it. However the cz in 9mm wouldn't feed the first loads I had made. Just want a good function testing gun that is picky about its ammo. In other words if it will shoot through "this gun" it will probably work well in most others.

seaboltm
12-11-2013, 11:18 AM
most any of the original configuration 1911's, that is milspec, are picky about 45 ACP ammo. Find one with a barrel that has not had the feed ramp tampered with and a slide with the original ejection port and us GI mags. That combination is dead reliable with ball ammo, but can be picky with others.

TES
12-11-2013, 12:04 PM
most any of the original configuration 1911's, that is milspec, are picky about 45 ACP ammo. Find one with a barrel that has not had the feed ramp tampered with and a slide with the original ejection port and us GI mags. That combination is dead reliable with ball ammo, but can be picky with others.

So like a rock island? A1

xs11jack
12-11-2013, 09:35 PM
I got a Para. 14-45 that will eat anything I can find to feed it. The most un-fussy 45 auto I have ever seen.
Ole Jack

jsheyn
12-11-2013, 09:50 PM
If your looking for a fussy 45 get a Taurus fs1911...won't feed **** and jams like pro....

seaboltm
12-11-2013, 10:20 PM

I am not familiar with the rock island. I quit on 1911's years ago because in my opinion, dollar for dollar, there are much better choices out there. Before you guys out there flame my a**, I carried a 1911 in the military, used one on duty in law enforcement, and carried a variety of them for defense purposes for years, so I am not ignorant of the virtues, or failings, of the 1911. And there are plenty of both virtues and failings.

I do know the old Auto Ordinance 1911's were jam-o-matics that defied the loving touches of even the best smiths. These days even some of the cheap reproductions use improved feed ramps and opened ejection ports.

seaboltm
12-11-2013, 10:30 PM

I am not familiar with the rock island. I quit on 1911's years ago because in my opinion, dollar for dollar, there are much better choices out there. Before you guys out there flame my a**, I carried a 1911 in the military, used one on duty in law enforcement, and carried a variety of them for defense purposes for years, so I am not ignorant of the virtues, or failings, of the 1911. And there are plenty of both virtues and failings.

I do know the old Auto Ordinance 1911's were jam-o-matics that defied the loving touches of even the best smiths. These days even some of the cheap reproductions use improved feed ramps and opened ejection ports.

turtlezx
12-11-2013, 11:19 PM
i can see why you dont want a hi point the eat every thing and dont jam
you could be making poor ammo and wouldnt know it

TES
12-15-2013, 10:04 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img35/1245/z5ty.JPG

http://imageshack.us/a/img42/4710/zbvf.jpg

Got these for a Browning A5 that I traded in and a couple of crappy freebie rifles that I got.

TES
12-15-2013, 10:09 PM
i can see why you dont want a hi point the eat every thing and dont jam
you could be making poor ammo and wouldnt know it

I tried to bite my lip and get one of these but dang I couldn't even get it to stick slide open when functioning. Then it wouldn't tear down like it should have. I have read that they need a break in period but I did not want to figure out if it was my ammo or the gun. The only reason I did not buy two of them today.

USAFrox
12-15-2013, 10:14 PM
I can see why you don't want a Hi-Point - they eat everything and don't jam. You could be making poor ammo and wouldn't know it.

I sure hope that was sarcasm. Otherwise... Wow.

Also, capitalization and punctuation are your friends. They make reading your posts much less of a chore for the rest of us. I fixed your quote above to show the benefits of proper spelling, capitalization, and punctuation. Give it a try - I'm sure you'll like it (and so will the rest of us).

TES
12-15-2013, 11:52 PM
I sure hope that was sarcasm. Otherwise... Wow.

Also, capitalization and punctuation are your friends. They make reading your posts much less of a chore for the rest of us. I fixed your quote above to show the benefits of proper spelling, capitalization, and punctuation. Give it a try - I'm sure you'll like it (and so will the rest of us).

What was that song by Cheap Trick.....? Oh yea...The grammar police..that's right!

MBTcustom
12-16-2013, 12:10 AM
The truth is, If you really want to know if your ammo will function across the board, you need to test in several different platforms. You can make ammo that will function flawlessly in a picky gun that might cause problems in one that "eats anything". It's all a compromise.
Powder is something you are going to have to make a judgment call on, but other than that, the most important thing is bullet design and seating depth.
Don't reinvent the wheel. If you have your heart set on a certain style/brand of bullet, then go find some factory ammo that uses that projectile, and observe what they have done.
Cant find factory ammo that uses that bullet? Hmmmm, wonder why?