PDA

View Full Version : 45 colt problems.

buck1
08-28-2005, 02:02 AM
Hello guys,
A buddy of mine has a Ruger 45 LC. I have been able to get him to try casting VIA long distance.
He has a mid range wt bullet mold and a Lee sizer of .452 and uses mid range power loads.
He cast some boolits up from WW+2% tin as I told him. Then I told him to slug his cylinder so he could size to it.
well he did it on all 6 twice. --.447--!
But he says it shoots the jacketed fine. He hasent tryed cast yet.

I am thinking a alloy of WW+2% tin+ a little pure lead to to soften and bump up the boolit to refit the BBL??

He wants to pan lube. I havent done this, does anyone have a easy pan lube recipe for this low pressure 45? I think most any lube will work for that load range , I am after user friendly easy to do lubes. All my lubes are too soft I think. And I dont want him to get to discouraged before he gets started.

And if he pan lubes, Do you think he could shoot these soft boolits unsized with the throats being that small?
He lives half way across the country witch makes it hard to fine tune his efforts.
Any help would be great Thanks....Buck

waksupi
08-28-2005, 02:04 AM
Buck, that sounds like a job for liquid Alox.

D.Mack
08-28-2005, 03:48 AM
buck1-- all kinds of possabilities here, starting with bad measurements. have him load a dud unsized and see if it will chamber, if it will , load a squib, with a couple of gr. of unique, and shoot them into a jug of water, then measure them again. although it is possible for a ruger to be that small , I'd try shooting modest loads at 452 and up anyway. if there is a saftey issue it would be with jacketed, and since he's already shot those, my money is on bad measurments. As for lube, like waksupi says Lee liquid alox, or any 50-50 alox - beeswax (javalina, lyman,ect) will work for pan lubing. d.Mack

David R
08-28-2005, 06:31 AM
You won't know anything till you try.

:)

9.3X62AL
08-28-2005, 12:03 PM
The .447" throats are within the realm of possible in a Ruger 45 Colt revolver. My BisHawk came from the factory at .449", and would only shoot Lyman #454490 (255 SWC-GC) with any accuracy. Once I reamed the throats to .4525", the revolver began to shoot anything sized .454" into very satisfying groups--from 200 grain SWC's to 310 Lee WFN/GC.

RayinNH
08-28-2005, 12:24 PM
Buck1, another lube that I have had good luck with is "Rooster Jacket". It was designed for handgun loads up to 1000 fps. It is a tumble lube product. The nice thing about it versus Lee Liquid Alox is that it is not sticky and doesn't gum up the bullet seater die. It dries clear but yet when you take a fingernail to it, it will shave off a sliver of wax. Midway sells it for $10.09 per 16 ounce bottle. A bottle will coat 6000 bullets...Ray

KCSO
08-28-2005, 12:51 PM
Unfortunatly this seems to be par for the course in Rugers. Thank God he has undersize. Take this gun to your local gunsmith and have him ream the throats to 452 and then smooth and polish the forcing cone, which will probably be rough as a cob. Then sit back and see it shoot. I have had Rugers go from 5" at 25 yards to 1 1/2" just with these two tricks. Add in a trigger job so she pulls about 2 1/2 pounds and you will have a keeper.

buck1
08-28-2005, 08:05 PM
Thanks guys!!...Buck

Bear4570
08-29-2005, 01:19 PM
I had the same problem with my .45 Blackhawk.
I sent it off to the cylindersmith http://www.cylindersmith.com/ and had him ream it for me. The came back a perfect .4525
Great improvement in accuracy with cast bullets. I had him do all three of mine and had the same improvement for all three. $37 will get it back to you in a week. He gives a discount on multiple cylinders. The cool thing about CAS is 10% of every .45 throat job goes to a college fund for the kids of a fellow shooter and firefighter who fell on 9/11.

lar45
08-29-2005, 01:32 PM
I used some Rooster Jacket last year when I had to load a couple thou 38 special rounds for our family reuinion CAS shoot. I had a terrible time with it gumming up the seater die. I ended up leaveing the stem loose so I could keep backing it out to try and keep the seating deapth almost normal. then I would have to take it apart and clean several times.

buck, PM me his address and I"ll send him a stick of 50-50.