PDA

View Full Version : Quiet 22 Hornet load.

cdet69
12-09-2013, 06:57 PM
I have a farmer friend who needs some coyotes eliminated. I think using the 22 Hornet with a cast bullet would be my best option. I have two NOE molds. Both are 225107 gas checked. One is hollow pointed the other is plain flat nosed. I have Unique and 2400 powders on hand. Might be able to consider others if I can get them. Any ideas on this would be great. I am looking at a max distance of @100 yards.

Norbrat
12-09-2013, 07:18 PM
Would this help? http://castpics.net/subsite2/ByCaliber/Cast%20Bullets%20in%20the%2022%20Hornet.pdf

cdet69
12-09-2013, 07:48 PM
Yes it helps. Thanks.

wistlepig1
12-09-2013, 09:45 PM
Would this help? http://castpics.net/subsite2/ByCaliber/Cast%20Bullets%20in%20the%2022%20Hornet.pdf

The above has some good info to help you do YOUR search for a good Hornet load. You stated that you are looking for 100 yd and something that controls the the bang. I have no help with the bang but a few thing I have found about my Hornet.
1. Do use small pistol primers, I had better luck with them.
2. If you can get any Lil gun, try it, if your gun likes it you will get better case life. Hornets are hard on cases.
3. If you are shooting around out buildings, be advise of skip. I shot a PDog one day @ 75 yds. the Lyman 438 went right thur him, hit the ground about 10 feet behind him, came up, went another 75 yds and left a perfect sideways mark on my friends out building. I then had to go tell my friend what had happened and that's no fun! I shoot in the eastern part of Colorado and there isn't much out there, but stuff happens and cast don't explode like J words do. You may not have a friend that is as understanding as mine.
4. Use a good High V lube.
5. Size bullits for YOUR gun, slug it!
6. When you test that load that is the "sweet spot" and you have that big smile going, test it again with 10+ more @ your range( 50 or 100yds or whatever) I have been fouled more than once. enjoy the search, MY2cents Martin

303Guy
12-10-2013, 04:27 AM
Hornets are hard on cases.I had one case (a range pick up) that I had been using which I discovered had a imminent case head separation by way of a break about three quarters of the way around the case. I put that one aside - or so I thought. About five reloads later I discovered that same case still in service! The crack had not progressed. My trick is to lube the cases well before firing. A liberal amount of case lube is what I use (not dripping, just nice and slippery). I get zero case elongation (I don't size the necks) with a muzzle velocity of 2740 fps with 55gr bullets using Lil'Gun. Now I have calculated this one - the case provides zero thrust reduction and the pressure is quite high but the action is also used for the 222 so I'm not worried (my hornet loads are no higher than the 22).

telebasher
12-10-2013, 09:24 AM
Try using the Lee Collet sizing die and case life will improve dramatically.

Captain Capsize
12-10-2013, 07:10 PM
You lube the case before firing!!? I don't think that is a good idea. It is my understanding that upon firing the case expands to press against the chamber walls. This reduces thrust applied to the bolt and lock up parts. Someone else may chime in here with a different thought.