PDA

View Full Version : my reject rate way low 577611 pics

charger 1
11-22-2007, 10:35 AM
Man oh man some of the mods sure did help, but NOTHING did it like the addition of a ladle instead of bottom pouring. You just can get the rapid heat off the bottom. The absolute worst one is out by 3 grains. My guess is that could be from me breaking the sprue to early and making some pitting. No more side vaginas, no more bubbles up rear...

http://usera.imagecave.com/chargerdive/HPIM1036.JPG

If these dont print I gotta check my load cause she aint the projectile no more no how

Blackhawk Convertable
11-22-2007, 10:57 AM
Ohhhhh, a box of purdys....

Dutch4122
11-22-2007, 11:02 AM
I learned the same thing a while back. Got tired of the high reject rate when I was using the bottom pour.

Gave the ladle a try and now I don't think I'll ever go back to the bottom pour method.

I just seem to get more consistant weight and better fill out sooner with the ladle.

:drinks:

charger 1
11-22-2007, 11:05 AM
I learned the same thing a while back. Got tired of the high reject rate when I was using the bottom pour.

Gave the ladle a try and now I don't think I'll ever go back to the bottom pour method.

I just seem to get more consistant weight and better fill out sooner with the ladle.

:drinks:

Yep I'm headed to the soup kitchen. They'll have to install one of them rotatin doors at the speed I handle the ladle

leftiye
11-22-2007, 03:22 PM
Take a look at the Rowell ladles at Antimony Man. They have a channel (tube) from the bottom of the ladle basin to the rim which you pour from. I've always wondered about making (welding on) a 90 degree hood on the side opposite the spout and adding a regular hole spout opposite the pouring spout on the ladle so as to be able to pick up clean lead by setting the ladle on the melt and letting it fill through the hole from beneath the surface of the melt. Should be a big help in picking up clean alloy.

44man
11-22-2007, 03:59 PM
No one believes me, no one believes me, oh my! :( The ladle is best. :drinks:

montana_charlie
11-22-2007, 06:09 PM
and letting it fill through the hole from beneath the surface of the melt.
I do that very thing with my Lyman dipper.
I just roll it to the left to put the nose under, and keep it pressed down until it fills to the edge of the 'front wall'.

While it's filling, the lead (and dipper) stays hot because it's all still in contact with the melt.

If the nose looks a little cruddy when I roll it up out of the alloy, I just wipe it with the heel of my left hand before mating it to the mould.
CM

charger 1
11-22-2007, 06:28 PM

Oh hell ya I newd ya was right all along,I just had to be beet over the hed with it
yuk yuk yuk :drinks:

Bass Ackward
11-22-2007, 07:05 PM
Which direction those bullets supposed to be loaded?

I think the holes in the wrong end.

Dutch4122
11-22-2007, 09:46 PM

Not true, IIRC there are quite a few of us here that prefer the dipper to the bottom drain method!:cbpour:

montana_charlie
11-22-2007, 10:30 PM
Now you can have it both ways...a dipper with a bottom spout!
http://cgi.ebay.com/Craemer-Spigoted-Lead-Bullet-Casting-Ladle_W0QQitemZ300174776024QQihZ020QQcategoryZ3625 8QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

(wait till leftiye sees THIS!)
CM

charger 1
11-23-2007, 06:11 AM
Which direction those bullets supposed to be loaded?

I think the holes in the wrong end.

I dont agree Bass cause if that were the case how comw 1/2 are real accurate and 1/2 are all over the place?:drinks:

Bass Ackward
11-23-2007, 06:28 AM
I dont agree Bass cause if that were the case how comw 1/2 are real accurate and 1/2 are all over the place?:drinks:

Is it cold up there yet? Are you getting a lot of fouling?

A hollow bullet under the drive portion, on either end, is easier to collapse from fouling and lose contact with the rifling compared to a solid bullet of the same hardness. I'll bet you are trying to push these too, aren't ya? :grin:

charger 1
11-23-2007, 06:46 AM
Is it cold up there yet? Are you getting a lot of fouling?

A hollow bullet under the drive portion, on either end, is easier to collapse from fouling and lose contact with the rifling compared to a solid bullet of the same hardness. I'll bet you are trying to push these too, aren't ya? :grin:

Well come on Bro. you know I was born to push, people and boolits:twisted:. Temp dont seem to effect much. Oh maybe thats cayse of firing them from inside the den beside the wood stove. Hell my arthric bones aint sufferin outside if I dont gotta. You guys would love my rifle test area. Got a coffe pot there. The whole nine yards. Hey seriously though, she's gonna get a quick patch before loading each ball to knock the worst of the crud off...And getting back to pushing. Has a gun truley been utilized if a shoulder is not brused?:-D 83 grs ffg