PDA

View Full Version : What is a good straight razor?

Down South
12-08-2013, 11:09 AM
I've had it with expensive multiple razor blades. Plus they are hard to use when trimming around a mustache.
I see all kinds/brands of straight razors out there and I would bet that many are junk.
I know some of you guys know which brand razors are good and I am looking for recommendations.
A good strop too, which one?

Thanks, Sam

LNK
12-08-2013, 11:14 AM
Just about anything old that has Solingen or Sheffield on the tang. You should go to http://straightrazorplace.com for research.

Good Luck
LNK

Beagle333
12-08-2013, 11:15 AM
+1 for Solingen
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt214/shutupandjump/Red-Imp.jpg

waksupi
12-08-2013, 12:18 PM
Multi blade razors are a poor way to go. I used a straight razor for some years, and they are kind of slow to use. A couple years ago, I got a good safety razor

http://www.amazon.com/Edwin-Jagger-De89lbl-Double-Safety/dp/B002RBF1PO/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&qid=1386519563&sr=8-30&keywords=razors

And then found this place to buy blades.

http://shop.bestshave.net/orginal-boxed-blades-c-13.html

This has been the best solution for a good shave, and much less expensive than the disposable types.

PbHurler
12-08-2013, 12:20 PM
Just about anything old that has Solingen or Sheffield on the tang.
LNK

Definately. I own several and they are all, either of these brands of steel. Both will maintain a damn fine edge with normal stropping.

Sam, if you have any "antique shops" around you; I'd recommend wandering through them. All but 1 of the razors I have were purchases from similar shops & I paid a max. of $35.00 for some very well kept, nice handled razors in their original boxes. A plus is you get to feel them in your hand & check the blade before purchasing.
I've picked up broken-in strops as well! Good luck.

wcp4570
12-08-2013, 01:32 PM
I got tired of buying those expensive 3 blade razors at around $5.00 per razor and got to looking on Amazon and found the Merkur Model 180 safety razor and have really enjoyed using this for my shaves. I now purchase 10 blade pack of Wilkerson blades for $1.40. I still get a good shave maybe not quite as close as the fancy things today but close enough for this old guy. Never used a straight razor, always thought I might cut myself really bad with one.

wcp

dbosman
12-08-2013, 02:44 PM
If you need a brush, spend the money on a good one. When I used soap and a brush I started with the cheap one and moved up on a whim. The good bristles were so much easier to raise a lather with. Now I just shave after showering and don't bother with soap.

jonp
12-08-2013, 02:50 PM
Safety razors are the way to go. The blades are cheap enough.

btroj
12-08-2013, 03:45 PM
I'm a wuss, I use an electric.........

Go ahead, call me a heathen

Down South
12-08-2013, 04:55 PM
I'm a wuss, I use an electric.........

Go ahead, call me a heathen

LOL, a Weed Eater may work better for me. Although I do keep an electric in my desk drawer for those times I just don't feel like shaving before I leave for work. The electric does a decent job but not near as close as a good razor. I'm surprised it has lasted as long as it has. I can hear it bogging down when applied to my tough beard.

Down South
12-08-2013, 05:39 PM
Just about anything old that has Solingen or Sheffield on the tang. You should go to http://straightrazorplace.com for research.

Good Luck
LNK
WOW LNK, A lot of info in that link.

Thanks, Sam

alamogunr
12-08-2013, 06:06 PM
For a forum on shaving, go here:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forum.php?

More about safety razors than straight but straight razors are covered too.

I use a safety razor and have found out the hard way that there is a lot of variation in blade quality. All are cheaper than the little multi-blade variety and give a better shave to boot.

Down South
12-08-2013, 06:36 PM
I have to check out these Safety Razors. This may be a better option for me. I still want a straight razor to play with and see how I like.
Thanks guys for all of the information.

Rainier
12-08-2013, 06:45 PM
+1 for the Merkur safety razor - tried all the electric, multi-blade Blah,Blah,Blah... bought a Merkur earlier this year and couldn't be happier

codgerville@zianet.com
12-08-2013, 06:59 PM
I have a Dovo that I got new, also have a Wade & Butcher (Sheffield), a Genco made in NY, a Tennis #80, (Solingen). I use a Bismarck strop (German), and a Bass brand brush. All work well. There is a learning curve to using a straight razor, but you will be amazed at the close shave. Of the razors I have, the Wade & Butcher is my favorite.

oldgeezershooter
12-08-2013, 07:06 PM
I don't think I need to use a blade with "Butcher" in it!

Char-Gar
12-08-2013, 07:08 PM
I used a straight razor for 30 plus years. They do a good job, but require regular honing and stropping. If you get many nicks in the blade it will have to be reground and there are few places that do that any more.

There are better ways of doing the job.

Love Life
12-08-2013, 07:09 PM
Safety razor is the way to go!! I have to shave everyday, and a pack of Mach 3 razors is $18.00 of for throw away razors!!!

The safety razor shave fast, close, and cheap. I bought one before a long holiday so I had time to practice and heal up if I ended up cutting my face off.

dikman
12-08-2013, 07:16 PM
I have several straight razors that were my father's, a couple still have the "case" they came in, I think. They are stored in my shed somewhere.

My solution to the problem - I have a beard, saves a lot of work :wink:.

12-08-2013, 07:24 PM
Use straight razor regularly. +1 for shopping the antique shops. That's where I got several of mine. Old time craftsmanship & quality. You have to be ready to use a straight razor. Shaving goes from a quick chore to a slow and relaxing process. If that works for you, you'll probably like it. Search for a razor specific sharpening stone. They are super flat and if not found in a antique shop, a tonsorial supply house can probably head you in the right direction. Any good section of smooth leather will do for as a strop. Strop dressing will treat the leather and add some fine abrasive to hone the blade. I've made "travel" strops by gluing a 6"x1" piece of leather to a flat board and dressing it with Neats foot oil and Flitz. Gives a fine edge to the razor and pocket knife, too. Badger hair brush and you'll be set.

zxcvbob
12-08-2013, 07:35 PM
I bought a Schick Krona twist-to-open safety razor on eBay last year for $10. I think they were made in the 70's and early 80's. Cleaned out the soap scum with some Scrubbing Bubbles bathroom cleaner and a soft toothbrush, then disinfected it with some hospital cleaner just to make sure. It works great, especially with Wilkinson Sword blades from Walmart.

I also bought a really nice 70-ish year old Gillette from a guy on the "badger and blades" forum that should be a better razor, but I can't tell the difference in the shave... except the Gillette likes Astra blades better. That was about $30.

LNK
12-08-2013, 08:54 PM
I now purchase 10 blade pack of Wilkerson blades for $1.40. I still get a good shave maybe not quite as close as the fancy things today but close enough for this old guy.
wcp

Try to find Non-wilkinson sword blades. I used to use a DE razor and the worst blades I have ever used were the Wilkinson. Even the CVS and Rite-Aid pharmacy blades are better. My DE gave as good a shave as any of the multi blade razors. The soap and face prep are pretty important. The old mug and badger brush, soak the soap for a few minutess in hot tap water. Dump out the hot water and work up a lather. Make sure you rinse and dry razor when done, and a blade will last a really long time...

LNK

375RUGER
12-08-2013, 08:59 PM
Solingen for sure. I use no razor so no personal experience, but my brother only lets Solingen touch his face. He has a couple of favorite soaps too but I don't know which they are.

docone31
12-08-2013, 09:05 PM
I tried this razor,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOT-1-Straight-Barber-Edge-Steel-Razors-Folding-Shaving-Knife-10pcs-Blades-/370958565031?pt=US_Shaving_Hair_Removal&hash=item565eda7ea7#ht_3709wt_985
It is good. It has weight so the blade does not skip, plus, no honing. It takes replacement blades. You snap a blade in half, and shave away.
My other razors are Dubl Duck, Golden Dollar, and vintage german blades.
You lean to sharpen the blade, and strop with the different grits.
The first time I used this razor, it did draw serious blood. I was not used to the feel and went into it like it was german steel. Nope.
The blade is smaller so it gets in tighter. I like that feature.
My other razor is a Rolls Razor from WWI. I like that one also. It works well for me.
A manly thing to do.

waksupi
12-08-2013, 09:24 PM
Astra Superior Platinum are the blades I use, that I ordered through the link posted below. I think I pay about $11.50/100 delivered. They seem to be a fairly long lasting blade, and give a good shave. Scroll down on any of the blades listed on this page, and you can see customer reviews.

http://shop.bestshave.net/100-astra-platinum-razor-blades-new-p-100.html?zenid=49nn583jsqancnmi8bninj2rr3

Vindicated
12-08-2013, 10:05 PM
If you have never used a single blade before, I'd start off with a Safety Razor first. Cheaper, quicker, and easier to learn. Plus it's great for everyday shaving, even on those days your running late.

A good starter set would be: Murkur 180 long handle Razor @ $30, Feather razor blades (sharpest blades you'll ever find) @ $5 or a sampler pack @15, an Escali Deluxe razor and brush stand @ $20, and a Tweezerman badger brush @ $15. Top it off with the Art of Shaving oil, shaving cream, and lotion if budget allows @ $120 (or $30 for travel kit). I love the Sandalwood scent myself.

The blades are cheap enough that you don't have to fiddle with sharpening and IMO its more sanitary. I've gone a month using the same blade before. But after a while it will pull a a little. Normally I change the blade every 1-2 weeks. Feather is more expensive. Durby is a lot cheaper and also very good. The local barbers use Durby because they use a new blade on every person.

alamogunr
12-08-2013, 10:30 PM
I've got two Gillette adjustable razors that I bought from a member on Badger&Blade. I had one when I started shaving back in the late 50's. Got caught up in the multiblade craziness and lost track of it. I've also got two Murkur 34C razors bought at different times. Using the same blade, they shave differently.

When I first went back to a safety razor I bought Derby blades. I find that their quality varies considerably. Astra blades are a good cheap blade but I've only used about 10 so don't have extensive experience. I bought a sample pack of Gillette 7 O'clock blades and like them very much. I've also got a sample pack of Feather blades but I've heard so much about their sharpness that I haven't tried them yet.

I'm cheap, so I'll continue using the Derby blades until I run out, then decide what I want next.

HNSB
12-08-2013, 10:36 PM
I restore and hone straight razors as my other hobby.
PM me your address Sam, I'll mail you a good shaver. You'll still need a strop and a brush and soap if you're going to stick with it.

Straight Razor Place is a great place to get information and learn about shaving with a straight razor.

As to strops, it depends on your budget... For good but inexpensive look at an Illinois 827. For something really nice, look at the modular strops from Straight Razor Designs.
Stay away from the really cheap ones on eBay. The leather trends to be cardboard like and is useless. If you're handy, you can make your own strop from veg tanned cow hide.

Pb2au
12-08-2013, 10:41 PM
Safety razor here too. Also I use the Merkur blades. This is for my daily shave.
When I choose to I still use a Solingen straight razor.

NoZombies
12-08-2013, 10:45 PM
I'm not old enough for this to be normal, but I started shaving with a straight razor. I've used just about every type of razor out there, and still have a few safety razors, but I to this day prefer a good straight razor.

Some of the best straight razors I've owned have been Boker brand.

alamogunr
12-08-2013, 11:15 PM
Safety razor here too. Also I use the Merkur blades. This is for my daily shave.

I should have added that a new wet shaver should try several blades to see which he prefers. Different razors work differently with different blades. The Murkur blades have never worked for me. A 5 pack came with each of my Murkur razors and I have never gotten a good shave with them.
Someone else may get their best shave from them.

Down South
12-09-2013, 12:01 AM
I restore and hone straight razors as my other hobby.
PM me your address Sam, I'll mail you a good shaver. You'll still need a strop and a brush and soap if you're going to stick with it.

Straight Razor Place is a great place to get information and learn about shaving with a straight razor.

As to strops, it depends on your budget... For good but inexpensive look at an Illinois 827. For something really nice, look at the modular strops from Straight Razor Designs.
Stay away from the really cheap ones on eBay. The leather trends to be cardboard like and is useless. If you're handy, you can make your own strop from veg tanned cow hide.
HNSB, that's the best deal that I've been offered in a while and I thank you.

jonk
12-09-2013, 12:37 AM
Normally, I used a double edged safety razor that I got in an antique shop for $4. Blades are cheap.

I do collect straight razors though. The German ones seem to keep the best edge. I'd suggest going to an antique shop, finding one with no cracks in the handle and no rounding of the blade edges, and sending it to have it professionally re-honed (costs about $15). Then get a good strop. Make sure it is as long as possible, and that you read up on the procedure.

Once every few months I shave with mine for fun, it takes some time to get used to it, but don't worry; while you might cut yourself, your natural reactions will stop you before you go deep enough to do any damage. Really only the chin and lips are hard to manage.

MtGun44
12-09-2013, 12:42 AM
Never understood this "expensive razors" stuff. I take a shower before I shave, use
Edge shaving gel and let it sit on my pre-wet face while I brush my teeth for 2 minutes.
A friend told me about this method to soften the beard a lot when I was about 20 and
it has worked for me for more than 40 years. Without the softening time of the
shower and such, the razors last far, far shorter time and don't give anywhere near
as nice a shave, even when brand new.

I get about 4-6 months each out of the cheezy throw away double blade razors, which are
12 for $2.37 at Walmart online. So I get about 4-6 months out of a 20 cent razor, which
means about one tenth of one cent per shave for the razors. It's to the point where I
totally lose track of how long I use them, but I only buy a pack of razors about once
or twice a decade.

I have a full Burnside sideburns & mustache so I know about doing trim work, never had
any issues.

Bill

waksupi
12-09-2013, 02:02 AM
All the extra lotions, potions, brushes and stuff are just fluff. I use my home made soap, and it works fine, no irritation. I have a brush, don't use it. I lather up my face, and off I go. Like Bill, I like to do it after bathing, so the beard is softened.
But then, if you care to spend extra money you don't need to, you have the option.

Lead Fred
12-09-2013, 03:38 AM
Dang something I actually know about, kinda :-D

The safety razor was invented in 1903, so men could shave everyday, instead of having to go to the barber to get shaved.
Straight razors were NEVER designed for you to shave yourself with. Yes folks do, but then some put pistol powder in rifles too.

Safety razor come in classes. There are rated on how aggressive they can get, or are.
The least aggressive razor made is a Weishi from china, they sell on e-bay for under $15. Next up the latter are Gillette Tech 3 pieces.
I use a 1956 everyday.
The modern design razors are way more aggressive than some of the classic ones. I also have a 1956 Gillette super speed, which is one up from the Tech.
I also have a Edwin Jagger DE86, which with those 27 cent Japanese ninja blades, is the closest shaver Ive ever own. It will also slit your gizzard and not even slow down. Id not recommend any modern DE razors for a beginner. Except for the Jaggers, the rest are extremely heavy and ultra aggressive. Even the Jaggers should be your second or third razor.

You need to find the one for YOUR beard. No one can do this but you.

I buy the blades once a year. I buy the most costly blades out there, at a whopping 27 cents a piece. Some of My buds use the 6 centers, some the 9 centers. It costs me less than $27 in blades per year. All 3 of my razors will outlast me.

I am long winded about razors, I sell them, both classic and modern

Ghost101
12-09-2013, 05:40 AM
I started out with a blade an used it up until about 10 yrs ago. Cheap but good strap is a pc of smooth card board.
Run some jewelers rogue on it. Draw the blade over the surface, don't lift the blade off, but roll it over on the back an draw the other way. You don't want to press hard. I also use this for my leather cutters. I to like the Boker brand. Around the mouth was the hardest for me. I've heard to practice, try taking the hair off a peach, without cutting the skin. Never tried it myself. I found them better with cream.

Ghost101

Oreo
12-09-2013, 09:19 AM
Anyone think its a good or bad idea to send a safety razor and sample packs of blades in a care package to a cousin deployed in Afghanistan? I hear he likes to get disposable razors and thought a safety razor might be a treat, or a novelty. But I have no military experience and so no idea if this is a good idea.

Ghost101
12-09-2013, 09:41 AM
Send him socks and a lot of dip. He well be a rich man with many friends.

Ghost101

Oreo
12-09-2013, 09:46 AM
I think he gets plenty of that stuff. We have a big family to keep him well supplied.

mereside
12-09-2013, 10:06 AM
I use a straight razor cannot recall the name its a sheffield blade and old it is super, I also use a safety blade in like a straight razor holder cheap as chips I had somebody make me some sandlewood soap to go with the badger brush.
What i can say is it really only takes a few goes to get the hang of things and if like me have a thick brissle the straight razor cuts through very well alot better than modern razors that just clog up after one stroke, honing a blade is really simple and lots of tutorials on youtube you just need a few different grit stones use electrical tape on the back of the blade so it doesn't mark ,atb wayne

KCSO
12-09-2013, 10:29 AM
If you can find them an old De Fi or a Dubl Duck are the best have used. Landers Clark and Frery and Jos. Rodgers are my best old ones. Wichester marked blades are Ok and if you go Solingen try for and Anton Wiggen.

jcwit
12-09-2013, 10:50 AM
I returned to using a safety razor 3 years ago, lots and lots of suppliers out their, google is your friend, then finding the blade that suits you face and beard is a trip in itself. For me I like the Russian made blades, yes I order them direct.

Recluse
12-09-2013, 12:29 PM
When I got out of the service, I swore that I'd never do two things:

1. Iron my own clothes

2. Shave on a daily or even regular basis

For the clothes, my neighborhood dry-cleaner takes care of that. For the shaving, every few days I'll take an electric beard trimmer and run it across the growth. Always stubble or "shadow," but I could care less. Never had a job where I had to be clean-shaven and will never have such a job. I had a helluva time in the service with ingrown hairs and they caused me such misery that I vowed to never keep a clean, shiny face once I got out.

The only razor blades/shavers that's ever been in our house have been for the wife and/or daughters to scrape their legs with.

:coffee:

1bluehorse
12-09-2013, 01:06 PM
Obviously to each his own...but really, it's only shaving your face (making an assumption here maybe)....I'm in the MtGun44 camp right now as his method and equipment (and opinion) is the same as mine, but I have a "goatee" type facial statement instead that gets trimmed "occasionally" with a battery powered trimmer....after reading Recluses answer I'm sorta inclined to go to his method instead as I'm not particularly interested in shaving everyday either (and don't)...the only person I have to please in my appearance is my wife and she could pretty much care less about how, when, or how often I shave....now my bathing habits on the other hand, she is much more definitive in her opinion..[smilie=l:

I'm also with Recluse in the ironing thing....haven't ironed anything for years, but when pretty much all you wear is Strangler jeans and cotton western shirts there ain't much to iron...I do polish my "good" boots occasionally but the barnyard ones just get oiled...so I'm guessing most of you fellas may have a bit more stringent rules of appearance than a backwoods bozo like me...

62chevy
12-09-2013, 01:33 PM
When I got out of the service, I swore that I'd never do two things:

1. Iron my own clothes

2. Shave on a daily or even regular basis

For the clothes, my neighborhood dry-cleaner takes care of that. For the shaving, every few days I'll take an electric beard trimmer and run it across the growth. Always stubble or "shadow," but I could care less. Never had a job where I had to be clean-shaven and will never have such a job. I had a helluva time in the service with ingrown hairs and they caused me such misery that I vowed to never keep a clean, shiny face once I got out.

The only razor blades/shavers that's ever been in our house have been for the wife and/or daughters to scrape their legs with.

:coffee:

Amen!!!

Dframe
12-09-2013, 01:43 PM
I looked into straight razors for a while. They required more maintenence than I was willing to do. They always seemed to be just a whisker(groan) away from removing a body part. I just stick with the cheap throw aways now.

zxcvbob
12-09-2013, 02:05 PM
Astra Superior Platinum are the blades I use, that I ordered through the link posted below. I think I pay about $11.50/100 delivered. They seem to be a fairly long lasting blade, and give a good shave. Scroll down on any of the blades listed on this page, and you can see customer reviews.

http://shop.bestshave.net/100-astra-platinum-razor-blades-new-p-100.html?zenid=49nn583jsqancnmi8bninj2rr3

Those are my favorite too, although I haven't tried Personna medical blades or Feather yet. But the Schick Krona razor likes Walmart Wilkinson blades better. The Derby blades I bought at Sally Beauty suck, although some people swear by that brand.

Dan Cash
12-09-2013, 02:40 PM
Double Duck or Zwilling are my personal favorites.

alamogunr
12-09-2013, 03:15 PM
When I was working, I shaved every day. Now that I'm retired, my shaving interval varies from 1 day to 3 days(rarely 4 days). I don't like the feel of whiskers rubbing against a pillow at night.

I don't worry too much about the scruffy appearance.

Thundarstick
12-09-2013, 05:27 PM
I got the wild hair to shave with a straight razor years ago to help with razor burn, ingrown hairs, and clogged multiple bladed contraptions "because I go a spell between shaves".

I started with a true blue antique razor that did okay. When I went to an old barber to get a few hints at stroping sharpening. He suggested I get a handle that uses replaceable blades. I did and haven't looked back! Keep in mind that shaving this way is not something that you can do on the spur of the moment, but the shave can't be beat! It does take time to learn but once you have it down its nothing to it.
I have a very good knack for sharpening and cannot approach the sharpness of the blades I buy. I still use the forged straight razor when I want to look cool though! :-P

Centaur 1
12-09-2013, 05:44 PM
Never understood this "expensive razors" stuff. I take a shower before I shave, use
Edge shaving gel and let it sit on my pre-wet face while I brush my teeth for 2 minutes.
A friend told me about this method to soften the beard a lot when I was about 20 and
it has worked for me for more than 40 years. Without the softening time of the
shower and such, the razors last far, far shorter time and don't give anywhere near
as nice a shave, even when brand new.

I get about 4-6 months each out of the cheezy throw away double blade razors, which are
12 for $2.37 at Walmart online. So I get about 4-6 months out of a 20 cent razor, which
means about one tenth of one cent per shave for the razors. It's to the point where I
totally lose track of how long I use them, but I only buy a pack of razors about once
or twice a decade.

I have a full Burnside sideburns & mustache so I know about doing trim work, never had
any issues.

Bill

Let me add just one thing to your technique, dry the razor when you're done. I heard Clark Howard talking about this on the radio and it works. I rinse the blades really well and shake off the extra water, then I blow air through them and dry with a towel. I've been using the same blade since September 1st, 2012 and it still works fine, the blue aloe strip hasn't even faded yet. Leaving the blades wet is what kills them.

HNSB
12-09-2013, 05:57 PM
I'm still shaving with a razor that was made around 1790. ;)

45-70 Chevroner
12-09-2013, 06:04 PM
This guy has got a lot of milage out of a razor blade post on a cast boolit forum, and thats ok there has been some interesting reading coming out of it. Personally I guess I am just plain cheap, I use the through away type safety razors double edge, very cheap, about .15 cents each and one will last about a week. I use a "Mug and brush" and soap made from Glycerin it is the best I have used and it is very cheap at the dollar store. I do have a nice electric three head rechargable Norelco that I use for a quick clean up when I am in a hurry or on a short two or three day trip. The problem with a streight razor is I take Warfarin (a blood thinner) for A-fib. I don't trust myself with anything that sharp on my face and neck that is not protected with shielding. I could bleed to death from a cut like that.:smile:

Vindicated
12-10-2013, 01:07 AM
I used to shave with a Mach3. It was a pretty good razor overall, but I was always getting razor burn that looked like acne. I also never bought the refills. I just waited for a new version to come out and bought it on sale. The refills are just to expensive.

My girlfriend bought me my Murker double edge safety razor as a birthday gift. I then bought a years supply of razor blades on Amazon for around $12.00. I can't even buy BIC disposible razors that cheap. And even if I could, the DE still gives me a better shave.

After shaving with the DE for about two years I noticed a lot of my old acne scars went away, my skin became smoother, and I stopped getting razor burn. Plus the closeness of the shave with the right blades is crazy. More then anything, it made shaving fun again and now I don't mind shaving every morning.

If anyone here hasn't tried it. I highly recommend you do. And get Feather blades. Don't be scared of their sharpness. Yes they are the sharpest, but I've yet to nick myself with them, and they last a long time. Pro tip... After your find shaving, run the razor across your forearm in reverse. Sort of a poor man's strop. Keeps the blade sharper longer. Ten quick passes and your good to go.

Vindicated
12-10-2013, 01:14 AM
If you want to be cheap, you can use olive oil (1-2 drops on a wet face) as a pre shave oil and top it off with hair conditioner. If olive oil is to thick, try grape seed oil. If you have acne, mix in 1-2 drops of clove oil. Careful though, to much will make your face feel numb and the hair on your chest stand tall. Think icy hot extra extra strength.

Oreo
12-10-2013, 01:26 AM
Pro tip... After your find shaving, run the razor across your forearm in reverse. Sort of a poor man's strop. Keeps the blade sharper longer. Ten quick passes and your good to go.

Mmmm, razor to the forearms sounds like a bad idea. Last thing I want is to nick myself, be bleeding out in the bathtub, and trying to explain to the paramedic.

Taylor3006
12-10-2013, 01:51 AM
There is a pretty good learning curve with a straight razor. I have one, it works well, just get a bit nervous using it. I live in the county, by the time EMS arrived, I would be bled out. I stick to a Gillette saftey razor manufactured in 1962 that I bought at a flea market for $5 and it was new and still in its box with original blades. Works well, and not worried about making my face look like an episode of CSI while using it. Still have trouble right underneath the nostrils but have a disposable I keep just for that spot. Razor blades are cheap enuff AND I bought a stone and stroper off eBay to keep them going for a good long time. One cheap blade from WallyWorld lasts several months but would last longer ifn I weren't a ***** when it comes to a bit of hairy pullin while shaving. Go with a saftey razor first before trying a straight razor.

warf73
12-10-2013, 03:21 AM
I use Feather blades,http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Blades-Feather-Razor-NEW-HI-STAINLESS-Double-edge-Platinum-coated-blade-/261347910093?pt=US_Shaving_Hair_Removal&hash=item3cd98ca1cd#ht_4221wt_1362 and a Merkur heavy duty safety razor http://www.leesrazors.com/products/Merkur-34C-Heavy-Duty-Safety-Razor.html
Thanks to the guys on this site I switched back to a safety razor about 4 years ago, and I'm still on my first box of 100 Feather blades.

My son is now shaving with a safety razor and has tried the mac 3 or 4's and came back to the close shave of a safety razor.

prsman23
12-10-2013, 09:09 AM
Ok if you are set on using a straight, whippeddog.com has a great starter set for not a ton of coin. Larry is an amazing guy to deal with. The set comes with a razor (good quality but not a big name from Germany) a strop and a board with pastes for keeping it sharp. I use the board after every shave and have yet to have my razor honed after two years.

For those scared away by all the upkeep you can send your razor out to be honed once a year if you use this method. Not expensive to do and some guys on badger and blade offer it for the price of shipping.

mrbill2
12-10-2013, 12:12 PM
Is this going to be a Sticky ?

Down South
12-10-2013, 01:49 PM
Is this going to be a Sticky ?
LOL, It might make one. I've gotten more information about different razors and shaving techniques than I would have dreamed.
Thanks to all of you guys.