PDA

View Full Version : Howdy from Kentucky

Bazoo
12-08-2013, 08:22 AM
Im new to the forum, and fairly new to reloading and casting.

I'm Ojibwa. I believe in and follow Jesus Christ. Im married, the squaws name is Christina. I've been shooting since I was 18. Shot a few 22's before that, but mostly bb guns. I am fascinated with firearms history starting with the first cartridge guns until about WW2. I have no interest in BP shooting however. I am a 357 magnum fan. I carry a 1911A1. I like about anything that shoots, except I dont go all out for the new fangled guns that folks rave about.

I've only loaded thus far for 38 special and 357 Smith and Wesson Magnum. I havent had any problems to speak of yet thankfully. I've been using an Ideal 358156 mould. It took me a bit to figure out how to get decent bullets from it, and im still learning.

Nevertheless, I put what I have over 15 grains of 2400 and a magnum primer for heavy loads, over 13 grains 2400 for medium or over just a dab of titegroup with a regular primer for some 38 specials.

I've been running these through my ruger blackhawk, New model, pre warning label. And the wifes 686. She likes the medium magnums and 38 specials. Also, I have recently purchased a Marlin 1894c to compliment my pistol.

Im looking forward to learning as much as possible about both loading and casting.

Wayne Smith
12-08-2013, 09:01 AM
Welcome to our madness. BTW, you don't need magnum primers with any 2400 load. Save some money.

WRideout
12-08-2013, 09:03 AM
Welcome, Bazoo. I am also a Believer. Good to have you on the forum. Although I am a "regular white guy" as Archie Bunker used to say on his TV show, my kids are 1/4 native American; their mother is half Eskimo. Unfortunately, since they grew up in the lower 48 states, they don't have much grasp of their heritage, which is a shame. Hang on to your native American culture. This would be a poorer country without it.

I also was fascinated with things that shoot from the time I was young. I never had much opportunity to shoot until I got home from the Army. The first thing I did was retrieve my dad's two broken .22 rifles, and get them fixed at the gunsmith. I have been shooting and reloading ever since.

Whenever I have a question about solving a reloading question, this is the first place I go. There are many knowledgeable casters and reloaders here that are glad to help. People are generous to a fault, also.

Wayne

Charlie Two Tracks
12-08-2013, 10:34 AM
Welcome to the forum Bazoo. You have got a lot of reading to do. There is information here that is quite trustworthy.

koehn,jim
12-08-2013, 10:49 AM
Welcome aboard, there is a lot of good info. here.

MrWolf
12-08-2013, 11:15 AM
Welcome sir, nice to have you here.

Bad Water Bill
12-08-2013, 11:19 AM
Welcome to our happy home.

Since you mentioned native American culture I thought I would share some music from across the land.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvYIjFtPQEk&feature=related

Many different groups are represented there.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

iron mule
12-08-2013, 11:26 AM
welcome aboard

you can learn a lot here by reading the post made in the past
if you can't find what you are looking for never be afraid to ask
mule

fishhawk
12-08-2013, 11:29 AM
Posoh!

schutzen
12-08-2013, 11:37 AM
Welcome to the forum and sorry you have our disease. There is know known cure, only periodic applications of new to you experimental devices (aka new/different molds, dies, guns et al).

If you are new to Hardin County, check out Biff's Guns on Dixie Highway (Shelbyville), Knob Creek Gun Range (just below Shelbyville), Jefferson County Sportsman Club (I believe it is in Bullit County), and do not forget National Gun Day at the KY Expo Center Dec 14-15. An added thought, there is a Civil War Show in Lexington every Spring. You will have to search for the dates.

Hardin County used to be a good area for shooters. I'm not sure about now, it has been 30+ years since I lived there.

Again, welcome! Prepare for a long and enjoyable stay.

bayjoe
12-08-2013, 11:43 AM
Welcome to the forum, tons of info here. Pay attention these guys know their business

waksupi
12-08-2013, 11:57 AM
We're getting enough of us damn Injuns here now to have us a pow wow!
Welcome aboard cousin.

oldred
12-08-2013, 11:57 AM
Don't shoot BP!!!!!! Then just go away!!!! :-x

Of course I'm just funnin with you and I really want to wish you a big WELCOME to the site, you are going to like it here!

Being Native American I guess I am not a regular white guy as Archie would say but I too am a firm believer in the faith, also I too have serious doubts about our current Government. I am a bit south of you in NE TN but my daughter is a RN in Lexington and I was in Nicholasville for a while.

gray wolf
12-08-2013, 07:40 PM
Welcome to our lodge, I also believe in our Lord Jesus Christ, I thank him daily for his blessings.
You will find many folks on the internet, many of the best are here. We hope to enjoy your company.

Sam

starmac
12-08-2013, 08:33 PM
Welcome to the forum. Someone mentioned a cure to this disease, as far as I know, it is the very same cure that cures all terminal ailments. lol

I have to ask, does Bazoo have a meaning in Obijwa??

MtGun44
12-09-2013, 12:01 AM
Welcome.

Save some money and time, get a Lee 358 158 RF mold and eliminate the GCs. Nothing other
than air cooled wheel wts alloy is needed.

Bill

KYCaster
12-09-2013, 12:07 AM
Another Hardin Countian here. Welcome to the madness.

Jerry

Bzcraig
12-09-2013, 12:39 AM
Welcome aboard brother! It should take you months to read all the stickies and interesting threads but every one of them is worth the time. Be careful and have fun!

Garyshome
12-09-2013, 12:46 AM
Welcome to the Club!

Bloodman14
12-09-2013, 02:24 AM
Here's a 1/16(?) Seminole sayin' "Howdy!"

sav300
12-09-2013, 07:00 AM
Welcome from down under

Bazoo
12-09-2013, 07:27 AM
I have to ask, does Bazoo have a meaning in Obijwa??
Bazoo is an english word, it means mouth. Its what my Dad called me. My name is also John

searcher4851
12-09-2013, 01:23 PM
Welcome aboard, John. You can find out just about anything you can think of on this site. The stickies are a wealth of information, and anything you can't find there, just ask. There's a lot of really smart folks on here more than happy to share information.

John Allen
12-09-2013, 01:25 PM
Welcome, let the addiction to this site begin.

dagger dog
12-09-2013, 06:06 PM
Hey Bazoo,

We are darn near neighbors, I'm just across the river from Brandenburg about 12 miles north in Indiana, where bouts you located in Hardin county ?

Used to do a lot of squirrel hunting over by Big Springs and fished Rough River and Nolin a lot, in my younger days.

Welcome mat's out if you need some help.

Bazoo
12-10-2013, 12:22 AM
Hey Bazoo,

We are darn near neighbors, I'm just across the river from Brandenburg about 12 miles north in Indiana, where bouts you located in Hardin county ?

Used to do a lot of squirrel hunting over by Big Springs and fished Rough River and Nolin a lot, in my younger days.

Welcome mat's out if you need some help.

Howdy, Im Down in Cecilia. Thanks. I am not friends with anyone that reloads or casts, and have had to learn it all thus far through internet and books. I do know a few folks that load, but folks round these parts are too busy texting or something.

Got-R-Did
12-10-2013, 03:58 AM
Knob Creek Gun Range isn't too far for you to visit. Lil' Biffs is just a bit north of Hwy 44 and KCGR on Dixie Hwy as noted before, but the town is Valley Station, not Shelbyville (that is about 50 mi from Biffs).
Welcome to the addiction as many have said previously. If you do not already own a Lyman Loading Manual, either the #48 or #49 issues would be a worthy investment. Lots of things to read here as well, but for a novice I believe you will get a more linear understanding by reading up on the text there.
Best of luck in your new endeavors and keep us posted on your progress.
Cheers,
Got-R-Did.

KCSO
12-10-2013, 10:42 AM
"It's not often that you get to meet a Hunter from Kentucky"... Howdy

Bazoo
11-29-2014, 02:06 AM
Well, I aint said much in the year I've been a member. But I am still casting and loading for the 38 and 357. Doing the same for 45 automatic now. I took a little break from frustration, but have been back into of late. Love them both.

Bad Water Bill
11-29-2014, 02:21 AM
Well, I ain't said much in the year I've been a member. I took a little break from frustration.

At that point you should have jumped in here screaming about your frustration and you would probably have had your answer to it in a day or so.

That is one of the big reasons for being here.[smilie=s:

robg
11-29-2014, 05:04 AM
hiya from wales

Bazoo
11-29-2014, 05:12 AM
Yeah BWBill you're right. Guess I had a spell of orneriness.

Thanks Robg.

Bazoo
11-29-2014, 05:14 AM
Yeah BWBill you're right. Guess I had a spell of orneriness.

Howdy Robg.

gew98
11-29-2014, 12:35 PM
I drive through rineyville and work in cecilia during the week. If it was'nt for the blight of radcliff Hardin county might have been my choice...I like rural breckinridge . Just yesterday late afternoon had a neighbor and his kids over and we were taking turns shooting the 50BMG rifle at my steel plate 450 yard target. And whilst my former alabamian neighbor was on the rifle fiddling wiht the scope a big buck walked out in the field and literally stopped and looked down at the target... and then calmly walked off into the cedar tree woodline. We laughed our backsides off as he realized too late it was a big buck and not the white painted plate moving...while we were yelling at him there was a bucky "peeing" on the target. It was a great laugh and we rode the big hunter on that one and will for some time.

gew98
11-29-2014, 12:43 PM
Howdy, Im Down in Cecilia. Thanks. I am not friends with anyone that reloads or casts, and have had to learn it all thus far through internet and books. I do know a few folks that load, but folks round these parts are too busy texting or something.

Not so fast there !. I got a buddy whom works in maintance in Akebono into reloading , one of the robotics contractors at Metalsa is also a bigtime reloader and getting into casting his own. One of my buddies at work is a reloader and he's a mere 15 minutes from Cecilia/Etown. One of the fellas I work with lives in Rosine and I reloaded him some 30-06 tracer..his first thought was they would be good for hunting at night.... he had us on the floor laughing as he really thought that a good app for tracers ( he never saw one before ) . If you had the need/want and time to learn more about reloading just drop me a line...hell gonna do some 5,56 here this afternoon now that the visiting inlaws and family are fed.

TXGunNut
11-29-2014, 12:48 PM
Frustrated by casting or the daily grind? Either way you can probably find a solution here or at your casting bench.

gew98
11-29-2014, 12:49 PM
Knob Creek Gun Range isn't too far for you to visit. Lil' Biffs is just a bit north of Hwy 44 and KCGR on Dixie Hwy as noted before, but the town is Valley Station, not Shelbyville (that is about 50 mi from Biffs).
Welcome to the addiction as many have said previously. If you do not already own a Lyman Loading Manual, either the #48 or #49 issues would be a worthy investment. Lots of things to read here as well, but for a novice I believe you will get a more linear understanding by reading up on the text there.
Best of luck in your new endeavors and keep us posted on your progress.
Cheers,
Got-R-Did.
If it were not for the MG shoot Knobber creek would be on my no go list. Years ago I stopped into "biffs" and asked the old man himself about military arms and ammo he might have for sale...overpriced junk with an arrogant attitude....not to mention once you get to know alot of old timers in that area "they" are not terribly well thought of. Much like some of the land speculators in meade & breckinridge - some real backstabbers in those old money cabals !.

Bazoo
11-30-2014, 12:06 AM
Gew98, i sent you a message.

gew98
11-30-2014, 10:39 AM
Gew98, i sent you a message.

John ; Nothing in my email or PM's here. I'll have to check MY ISP's spam filter.

Bazoo
11-30-2014, 07:04 PM
It was an email. I just need some help ironing out a few wrinkles I have. I dont know anyone that loads that is willing to help. Everything i've leaned about casting and loading has been from books or internet.

Echo
12-01-2014, 12:35 PM
Welcome aboard, Bazoo.

Bazoo
12-07-2014, 11:56 AM
I appreciate the welcomes.