PDA

View Full Version : The morning show!!!!!!

Gussy
11-21-2007, 05:14 PM
I was in my usual seat at the table having morning coffee talking with the wife. Mentioned that I have not seen any deer lately. (in our drive or yard) She hadn't either except for a 2 pt whitey. I said that is usually when there's a cougar around that all the deer disappear.

The sun was just topping out on the hill above the house (1/2 Mile away and 500' above us). As I scanned the snowy hill side 2 deer came running across just below the rim rock at top speed. I said they looked like they were running for their lives!! THEY WERE!!!! About 100 yds behind came one of those long tailed fuzzy critters and he was at top speed also, looking for breakfast.

I was slow as I have a good pair of binos right beside me. Didn't get them up in time. They passed behind a ridge and out of sight. Don't know the out come but the deer had a good lead.
Gus

Scrounger
11-21-2007, 05:27 PM
I would think the deer would be more afraid of your wife's car than a cougar...:drinks:

Gussy
11-21-2007, 07:47 PM
Good point, but its been over a week since she has had to hit the brakes to miss one...........

HORNET
11-21-2007, 08:18 PM
You mean she actually MISSES one once in a while??

buckndee
11-21-2007, 11:03 PM
Sometimes cost effective too miss. Trip to the body shop or meat in the freezer?

Slowpoke
11-22-2007, 12:32 AM
I have been fortunate to see that twice in my life so far, both times the closest the cougar got to the deer was when deer jumped out of its bed. Both times was on dry ground in the Santa Rita MTNS South of Tucson.

The first time was in Oct. 1975, I was coasting down out of Box canyon about 3pm when I thought I saw a coyote come across the rd about a 1/2 mile below me, so I rolled on down and stopped where the coyote crossed the rd and was looking down in the canyon when a noise made me look up to other side of the canyon just in time to see a nice Coues deer buck come out of his bed with a cougar on his tail, that buck lined out going up a narrow finger ridge that ran for about 3/4 of mile also pretty steep. The buck steadily pulled a way and topped out before the cougar was half way up that ridge, the last I seen of the cougar it was walking as it topped out about fifteen minutes after the buck topped out.

The second time was in Nov. 1998, I was deer hunting on the North end of the MTNS, I was hiking in to one of my favorite spots. I came to a place where I had to sling the rifle on my shoulder to climb up a rock out cropping about 30 feet high to get over into the next canyon. The Coues deer on this end of the MTN have always been real sticky about as bad as Mearns quail. Well I knew damned well as soon as I started my climb a nice buck would jump up when I had the rifle on my shoulder and both hands full of rock so I took a good long look before I turned my back, nothing so I started my climb got about half way up and heard the son of gun get up about sixty yards below me, I was watching him make tracks across the head of the canyon I was climbing out of when movement caught my eye about 200 yrds higher up and it was cougar bounding down thru some large boulders heading towards that buck, I watched that buck for a good half mile before he disappeared and he was still making tracks at a high rate of speed then, the cougar lasted about a 1/4 of mile before it stopped.

I was casting some boolits today, when I heard my wife pull into the drive she honked her horn so I looked toward her and she was hearding a wild Jake up the drive just as purty as you will ever see with a car, then her damn horse went thundering over to greet her and the Jake shyed into the tree's, she was all grins as she told me how she had been herding that Jake past the neighbors place and forced it to turn down our drive.

Good luck