PDA

View Full Version : MIght of wasted some time

pearcetopher
12-07-2013, 05:27 PM
Hi guys, for some reason I noticed when I cast both 44 and 9mm 6 cavity aluminums even on the lowest temperature setting I am getting good bullets with no frosting or wrinkles. However when compared to casting at level 4 on my pro melter I noticed the colder bullets seem to not have a sharp edge on the base. The hotter bullets have a much sharper edge but are frosty. Need I be concerned with the slightly rounded bases of the colder bullets?

Also with colder bullets I can cast them very very quickly as the sprue hardens almost instantaneously

Jim Flinchbaugh
12-07-2013, 05:38 PM
if the bases are rounded, but the same all the way around, I'd shoot 'em.
Try making a bigger sprue puddle to heat the plate a bit more.
if no joy then raise the pot temp.
one way to eliminate the frost if you dont like it, when casting hot, is allow
to boolit to stay in the mold longer before dumping them out.
I have a few molds that I cast with the promelt all the way up, let the sprue sit for 15 seconds or so
cut it and wait another 15-20 before dumoping to not have frosty. Using 2 molds makes this less time wasting
chore as you can pour one while waiting on the other.
Frosty does not hurt anything BTW, & I like the frost for tumble lubing better anyhow

waco
12-07-2013, 06:49 PM
Rounded bases and driving bands are NOT what you want. Good sharp clean bases and bands are what to look for.
A little frosting? So what. Don't worry about that, won't hurt anything. Just slow your casting speed a bit.

WHITETAIL
12-07-2013, 07:00 PM
May I jump in here?
I have been making boolits for a while now.
And do not fret about frosting.
If the boolits look sharp and are a good size.
Good to Go!!:cbpour:

pearcetopher
12-07-2013, 07:04 PM
ok back in the melter they go

Dusty Bannister
12-07-2013, 07:40 PM
If you do an inspection of size and weight of the two different temperatures, you will answer your own question. Good castings are a consistant weight and diameter. Dusty

dverna
12-08-2013, 01:05 AM
It depends on how accurate you want them to be.

I bought some really junk bullets cheap and they were good enough for timed and rapid fire at 50 ft.

Otherwise like others said. You want them sharp and consistent.

Don Verna

Tatume
12-08-2013, 08:22 AM
Frosted bullets are good bullets. Sharp edges are indicative of good bullets. Rounded edges, not so much.